About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e40c0a9e41a46f53d3377de1ac0ae2c5Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Chewbacca WIP
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Chewbacca WIP Reply with quote

This will be the place for my Chewie progress. I feel it will be a long journey into the wonderful world of wookies. So check back often for updates.
I purchased my kanekalon #27 online last night and I am going to Sally's beauty supply today to check on #44 and maybe a couple of other colors to mix in.
I also will head over to Hancock fabrics to see what I can find in the way of mesh material to latch hook the hair to.
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: chewbacca wip Reply with quote

Well no luck today finding anything. Mad
I went to Hancock fabrics and Jo ann fabrics looking for the right kind of mesh but came up empty handed. Mad Mad
Then I went to Sally's beauty supply to see if they had #44 kanekalon,again nada. Mad Mad Mad
Then to Party City to find a couple of fake hands for my HIC and you guessed it. Bang Head
Oh well, tomorrow is a new day. Very Happy
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: chewbacca wip Reply with quote

I got a box full of faux #27 hair today! SWEET! Dance Chewie
duck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Where did you track it down?

And about the mesh ... try Jo-Ann's again. The mesh I used I saw at 2 different Jo-Ann's and it's pretty basic. The thing is, it was white and I dyed it black, so if you were looking for specifically a black mesh, you may have missed it. And the mesh I used was dirt cheap, about $1.99 a yard and easy to sew.

If not, check online. A lot of guys use military gille suits, but they can be around $40 if I'm not mistaken. I myself decided against the gille suit route because I thought a mesh suit could be better custom fit to my body if I made it from scratch, and gille suits look like they hang kind loose.
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: chewbacca wip Reply with quote

I got the Kanekalon from Texas beauty supply. I sent away for some mesh samples from collinscottage.com I was looking at the aquatic mesh. It has 1/4'' holes, or should I go with a smaller holed mesh?
duck

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for no response to this earlier.... I'd say that would be fine. Just make sure that your latch hook tool can fit through the holes OK. The mesh I used was just a bit too small and the tool had to sort of "pop" through each hole, so it took several hours to get into the groove and not have that slow me down.

Let me know how your tests come out.
BleuKnight

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the Kanekalon comes in two styles. Be sure you get the Black and Gold Braid brand which is used for braiding. It gives the nice texture hair look for the costume.
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: chewbacca wip Reply with quote

Sorry that I haven't posted anything yet. I am still getting supplies in. I am waiting on my mesh and stilts.
BleuKnight

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: chewbacca wip Reply with quote

Just be sure you test the stilts before you use them.

I have a pair of the Skywalker stilts by Marshalltown. As soon as I can figure out how to cover them up as part of the leg, and add some toes at the base, I'll give it a try. Then I'll definitely be over 7'....

forestmoonstudio wrote:
Sorry that I haven't posted anything yet. I am still getting supplies in. I am waiting on my mesh and stilts.
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: chewbacca wip Reply with quote

That's cool. I just purchased the Skywalker stilts myself. We will have to put our heads together and come up with a plan on attaching the feet. While I am waiting for the stilts. I got started on the rough-out of the bowcaster.

SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: chewbacca wip Reply with quote

BleuKnight wrote:
Just be sure you test the stilts before you use them.

I have a pair of the Skywalker stilts by Marshalltown. As soon as I can figure out how to cover them up as part of the leg, and add some toes at the base, I'll give it a try. Then I'll definitely be over 7'....

forestmoonstudio wrote:

I use Skywalker stilts for my chewie. What I did is sew a bunch of snaps to some growgrain ribbon ( any fabric store for both ) then I placed the male set of snaps on the feet via Silicone glue to my silicone feet. The female snaps I sewed to the same type of growgrain ribbon to the inside of the foot of my legs/ fur.
Make sure you have enough slack in the fur/ leg when you walk so that there is enough play so you do not pop snaps all the time. I went with snaps instead of Velcro ( almost went that route ) thinking that if someone stands next to me ( on my hairy feet ) velcro may not give, causing posible tearing of the suit, or causing me to fall. The snap system I have will simply pop away keeping me from tripping. This has saved me a few times allready.
You will be suprised how kids magically appear next to you when you want to move!

Hope that helps a bit.
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: chewbacca wip Reply with quote

With the added width and length of the feet, did they make the stilts more stable?
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I would say they did help a little bit, but I think scuffing up the rubber by walking on cement... helped more.

Bob
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: chewbacca wip Reply with quote

Finally got my mesh and will start tomorrow on making the patterns for the suit.I would like to get it cut out and sewn.( crossing my fingers )
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: chewbacca wip Reply with quote

Well it has been slow going. Mad I have been working alot and the wife is out of town. So I have been doing alot around the house. I got the pants sewn last night. The legs were not big enough so I had to cut them up the middle in the back and add some material so they could hide my stilits better. I am going to start on the shirt next.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: