About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e0c61f45ad20857ee408d31ace93aa4bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

B-Wing Pilot Belt: Opinions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: B-Wing Pilot Belt: Opinions? Reply with quote

I'm about to buy the webbing for the B-Wing pilot outfit I'm working on (I'm getting the white lightweight Polypropylene 2-inch webbing for the ejection harness and charcoal heavyweight 3/4-inch webbing for the chestbox; both from StrapWorks.com), but I've got a question... What color do you guys think the belt should be?

On the figures (Ten Nunb, Lieutenant Pollard) the belts look to be made of the same white webbing as the eject harness. But in some of the pictures from Return of the Jedi it looks like the belts are gray or silver gray (webbing?), but I can't really tell if it's just a shadow or maybe it's supposed to look dirty, or if it really is a different color of some sort.
Than again, on the B-Wing pilot figure of Keyan Farlander the ejection harness and belt look like a sort of light tan... So maybe it's all just a matter of interpretation-- on the belt, anyway.

Also, what do you guys think about the belt buckle for the B-Wing pilot? Obviously there really are no pictures of Return of the Jedi B-Wing pilots that are clear enough to see what type of buckle they use... On the latest Keyan Farlander, Ten Nunb and Lieutenant Pollard figures they look to be using a plastic backpack-like buckle (I don't know what to call it), and it's hooked in the back. But I'm not sure if that would be considered "correct" or if I should go for more of the X-Wing pilot style belt buckle. Or does it really even matter?
I'm leaning more towards the backpack-like buckle, simply because it would be easier to hook together in the back. But I'm not really sure.

So what do you guys think on these two things?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nein numb ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, I'd go with the same color as the ejection harness. From personal experience, the coveralls we wore as tankers had a strap in the back collar that we could be dragged out of the tank by if we became unconscious or dead. When the slack was taken up on it, the belt tightened up in the groin, waist, and shoulders. My thinking has always been that the belt and harness are essential to each other to function as a unit during ejection. That's how I always looked at it.
Plus, following the standards for the costume is never a bad way to go.
Also, do you think that with the lack of clear pictures and variant action figures, some stranger at a con is going to stop you and rip you a new one because your belt isn't what they saw in RotJ?? If you've seen it in a movie, use what you are confortable with. Course, this is just my opinion. Mods, any thing to add?? Very Happy
IndustrialSizeEd (Ed Cook)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the B-Wing pilot standards say white web belt. So if you want your costume to be accepted, you're probably going to want to go with the white belt. Very Happy

Previous Positions:
Member, Legion Council
Commander, Rebel Legion
Commander, Central Base
Commander, Screaming Tauntaun Squadron
Commander, Rebel Legion Starfighter Command
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty. Well, I just wanted to make sure. Razz

And as for someone stopping be and getting hostile because of the wrong color... Hey, it's happened. XD
Not to me, but to a friend who wore a costume to an anime convention and had something wrong on it (I can't remember what) and some people really tore into him about it.
Thankfully I've never had that experience; but some people just have too much time on their hands. If people can find something to complain about... they will.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nein numb ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In situations like that, I find that a good swift punch to the neck cures all. Razz
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, I'll have to keep that in mind. Caving in someone's neck would definitely make them think twice about saying something rude. Razz
Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advocating violence..... what a way to promote Imperial thinking. I like it!

I keed, I keed. I tend to ignore those who would give me static about my costume. Most of the time they are just jealous and want to nitpick about every minute detail because they want to feel better about themselves.... or they are just plain Grade A-1 poodoo excreters! Mr. Green

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nein numb ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not advocating violence. Merely suggesting alternatives to a situation.

Plus, how much fun would it have been if Han just played nicey-nice and went with Greedo to see Jabba?? Wink
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope this helps...

PRE-PRODUCTION B-wing still:

SCREEN CAP B-wing:

Both look white to me (especially against the white flightsuit in the Pre-Production still. In the screen-cap, the straps appear to be a brighter flat white, and belt a shiny off-white, but both white. Definitely not the grey/silver of Wedge's belt strap material.

The NovaViking (Brandon Kosik)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My belt is white, same material as the ejection straps.

"I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, thanks. I think I was just seeing a shadow. I thought they were the same color/material, but I just wanted to make sure.

If you watch the scene in Return of the Jedi where the Rebel pilots are getting their briefing, it looks like the belts on the human B-Wing pilots are a different color. But like I said, it's probably just a shadow.

G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramys Strael wrote:
Advocating violence..... what a way to promote Imperial thinking. I like it!

I keed, I keed. I tend to ignore those who would give me static about my costume. Most of the time they are just jealous and want to nitpick about every minute detail because they want to feel better about themselves.... or they are just plain Grade A-1 poodoo excreters! Mr. Green

- Bill

or part of the Sith Lord Detachment!
Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will just steer clear from that last statement.

I'm sure there can be those A-1 poodoo excreters there, but then again, they can be ANYWHERE!!!

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: