Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=38bd2e1acd33b246ebd38afeb670ff50Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Bowl-A-Thon for Isaac 12-13-08

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Great Lakes Base -> Great Lakes Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Bowl-A-Thon for Isaac 12-13-08 Reply with quote

Please see article below on Isaac.
At the time that ROTS was released, Isaac's parents got in touch with the Jedi Assembly regarding a visit to Isaac...

(edit....as I am remembering more and more of this event...it was Isaac's Hospital Patient advocate that got a hold of The Jedi Assembly)

they were also looking for a way to allow Isaac to see ROTS as he was not allowed to go to a public theater due to germs.

Cheryl, Bob Walton and I visited Isaac in costume with a bootlegged copy of ROTS so he could see it.

Chicago Force was contacted yesterday by a group doing a bowl-a-thon for Isaac....

This is the article as posted in the local paper:
For more than half his life, 11-year-old Isaac battled leukemia like a brave little soldier.

Two weeks ago, tired of being poked and prodded, feeling weak and nauseated, Isaac was forced to gulp down a lemon-lime medication for a CT scan doctors needed to diagnose his abdominal pain.

The Wheaton boy again managed to endure.

"I prayed to God that he would help me," Isaac told his father after climbing back into his hospital bed, "and he did."

Their son's courage not only sustains Mark and Deborah as they face every parent's worst nightmare, it has inspired an outpouring of humanity and a public fundraising campaign called "Hope for Isaac."

Volunteers are trying to raise $85,000 toward a double-cord blood transplant that carries potential risks but offers Isaac his best chance of survival.

An earlier transplant Feb. 13 in which his older brother, Nathaniel, 13, donated his bone marrow did not work.

Isaac has been hospitalized since Sept. 30 receiving various drugs to fight potentially deadly infections since his immune system was greatly compromised from the chemotherapy he received seven weeks earlier. The child cannot have the transplant if he is not in remission.

His parents draw upon their faith as they prepare both their sons for the worst while praying for a miracle.

A six-year struggle

Isaac's medical ordeal began at age 5, after a blood test for his kindergarten physical showed an anomaly.

Doctors diagnosed him with acute lymphoblastic leukemia, a fast-growing cancer of the white blood cells, likely caused by an earlier respiratory virus.

For Deborah , the hardest part is being powerless as her inquisitive blue-eyed boy is ravaged by a disease so cruel it makes him too weak to get out of bed.

Her son's bravery is both inspiring and heartbreaking.

"Isaac is in bed being strong and trying to survive," she said, "but he's just a kid who really, really wants to be doing the same things that every other sixth-grader wants to do - be in band, ride his bike, swim, play soccer, hang out with his brother and friends ...

"He can't do what his heart and mind would like him to be able to do, and that is heart-wrenching."

Isaac is rarely without one of his parents while at Advocate Hope Children's Hospital in south suburban Oak Lawn.

Mark is self-employed, so he stays with Isaac all day and sleeps overnight in the hospital. Deborah makes the nearly one-hour drive after work each day, often with Nathaniel, to be with Isaac, and returns to Wheaton at night.

Her job as an English language teacher for Marquardt District 15 in Glendale Heights has provided the insurance for Isaac's medical care. The couple is near the $2 million cap, though, and soon must switch to a state insurance program.

At the hospital, Isaac is enduring many different drugs, bone-marrow aspirations, blood transfusions and biopsies.

To keep people posted on his health, his mother often provides updates in an online blog on Isaac's Web site at cotaforisaacw.com.

Communities respond

Deborah cites the couple's love for Isaac and faith in God as sources of strength.

But she also said her family wouldn't have survived these past six difficult years without the many ways, both big and small, it has been embraced by people in Wheaton, Glen Ellyn and neighboring towns.

The family's lawn gets mowed, leaves raked, meals cooked, house cleaned, dog walked and even Nathaniel's pet lizard has been looked after when needed.

One particularly difficult Christmas, friends showed up with a tree and presents.

Many gathered in February outside the home for a candlelight vigil to pray before Isaac's transplant. Last July, after the family learned the transplant didn't work, the parents agreed to get Isaac and Nathaniel the dog they always wanted. Staff at Central DuPage Hospital raised money and helped the family adopt Midnight from a Naperville shelter.

Wheaton Montessori School provided a scholarship for Isaac's education and donated a laptop to the family. A new GPS system showed up on Deborah's desk after she expressed frustration to co-workers about trying to steer clear of construction around the Oak Lawn hospital.

Most significant though, the Wrights partnered with the Children's Organ Transplant Association to set up a charitable fund for Isaac. Their neighbor, Rob O'Dell, a financial planner, volunteered to serve as campaign chairman. Alan Bolds, a longtime Wheaton activist, is in charge of public relations.

Volunteers meet in downtown Wheaton to come up with ideas. So far, a half-dozen events are planned. In fact, a Glen Ellyn church has a fundraiser today.

"The Wrights are such a great family," O'Dell said. "It's been phenomenal to see people come out of the woodwork to help in this fundraising effort. However, we definitely need more arms and legs to help us."

Most recently, children collected coins while trick-or-treating. Merchants are pitching in with special donation days. Wheaton officials donated all the change from public fountains after local Cub Scouts scrubbed the coins clean. A Star Wars bowling fundraiser is planned Dec. 13 and a silent auction one month later.

On Isaac's good days, friends have visited him in the hospital. Otherwise, his family tries to cheer him on with his favorite fantasy books, comics, puzzles, video games and Legos.

They also read the Bible and talk about life and death. They don't dwell on it, though.

The hope is that Isaac's leukemia will go into remission so he can receive the transplant next year at Duke Children's Hospital in North Carolina.

For now, Isaac is medically stable.

"There's tons of tears and sadness and fear," Deborah said. "I don't even have words to describe how horribly sad it is to see your child in this gut-wrenching situation. We are amazed by the bravery and strength that Isaac musters just to get through every day."

She added: "The medical odds aren't for him and we could have just given up, but Isaac has a very strong will to live. He has always wanted to fight."

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte) on Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are a go!!

NEW INFORMATION:

Date: 12-13-08

Time: 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM - Arrive early enough to be ready to go at 3:00 PM - I am checking with regard to a place to change.

Place: Brunswick Bowl in Carol Stream (North Ave and Gary Ave)

Please see e-mail just below for additional insight:

"I'm cc'ing Kim Wiedenbeck who is coordinating our upcoming Bowl A Thon on December 13th (Saturday) from 3pm to 5pm at the Brunswick Bowl in Carol Stream (North Ave and Gary Ave). It would be wonderful have your group appear and we'll make sure you have proper accommodations. Do you think we could have photo opportunities with the bowlers? P

Out of curiosity, how did you find out about our upcoming event? We really appreciate you reaching out to us! I was actually looking for a group like yours and shot an email to a group called Jedi Force. I will contact the Wright family to see if Isaac is healthy enough to have visitors.

Just an FYI, Isaac has taken a turn for the worse. It appears that his chances for survival are very low."
Rob

Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some information from an upcoming press release and contains a website on Isaac from Children's Organ Transplant Assn:

Information on the Bowl-A-Thon:

http://www.cotaforisaacw.com./node/226

"Like a Jedi Knight, Isaac is bravely undergoing weeks of hospitalization to fight his leukemia. A team of Isaac’s family, neighbors and friends is attempting to raise $85,000 for medical expenses not covered by insurance.

The bowl-a-thon will be held Saturday, December 13 from 2:00 to 6:00 p.m. at Brunswick Zone on North Avenue in Carol Stream. Each of the 144 bowlers is asked to raise a minimum of $50. All proceeds will benefit the Hope for Isaac fund. The public is welcome to attend at no cost. Star Wars costumes are encouraged for everyone.

Awards will be given for the best costume, highest bowling score and most funds raised. A website for anyone wanting to learn more about the bowl-a-thon or to donate online can be found at

www.cotaforisaacw.com.

The Hope for Isaac fund has been established in cooperation with the Children’s Organ Transplant Association (COTA). All donations made through COTA are tax deductible as allowed by law. For more information, contact Hope for Isaac Campaign Chairman Rob O’Dell at rob.odell@cotaforisaacw.com. COTA is a national charity based in Bloomington, Indiana, dedicated to organizing and guiding families and communities in raising funds for transplant-needy patients."

Thank you to all that are sending a personal note of encouragment through the mail and members of the Midwest Garrison, the Midwest Base, and the Midwest Order of the Jedi Assembly will be out in force at the Bowl-A-Thon to carry the "Star Wars" theme that the organizers have adopted.

DocBev (Nicky Blum)

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with this event!
I hope it's super successful for Isaac.

Nicky "Doc_Bev" Blum
The Rebel Legion: Echo Base
501st Legion: Legion Events Coordinator
RAID - Fire Team Echo & KJO - Blumfruit Temple
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DocBev wrote:
Good luck with this event!
I hope it's super successful for Isaac.

Thank you Bev....

It is so heartbreaking....
so very heartbreaking....

I hope to cheer Isaac up a bit...
I have a child's ultrasaber that I purchased a while back..
I am painting his name on it...
and will drop it off at the hospital on Monday...
back in 2005 when I met him we told him that Whinter and I would be his Jedi protectors...
I just wish there was something I could really do...
Crying or Very sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Great Lakes Base -> Great Lakes Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: