About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=97fa3c844b376fe6667b1d2ad9a7a043Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

My next costume project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Dantooine Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which costume should I make next?
A-Wing Pilot
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Y-Wing Pilot
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
Rebel Trooper
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Carth Onasi
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Users Voted : 10
Total Votes : 10
Detailed Results/Undo Votes

oba-winn8403 (Ben Watkins)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: My next costume project Reply with quote

I have been milling over the possibilities of my next Star Wars costume, but have been unable to make a decision as of yet.

Since I would like to support our base as much as possible, I wanted to see what you guys thought about the different costumes I had in mind and possibly which of them could serve our base the best.

First, I was considering Carth Onasi from Knights of the Old Republic. I really like the look of the outfit, and I could easily look like him in build and in the face. However, I also know that KOTOR has pretty much run its course, and it may not have a big enough following for Carth to be a "face character" for events.

Second, I thought about doing a pilot costume. A friend of mine has a 90% complete A-Wing pilot and will be joining as soon as it is complete. I could be another A-Wing pilot, especially since he could give me pointers. I also thought about a Y-wing pilot.

Third, I thought about going for the classic rebel trooper. It is a recognizable costume, and is great for groups. I also know there is a lot of reference and tutorials for it.

They each have their pros and cons; I just can't settle on one of them. Any and all opinions will be greatly appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can help w/ the RFT Wink I don't play KOTOR, so I'm not even sure what that one is, and we DO need pilots in this base (Gs and I both have perpetual 'in process' x-wing projects, but they're not going anywhere fast given our kid situation and my clone wars projects). From what I've followed here, the A-Wing pilots there's not a lot of good info so if you've got the inside scoop why not...

Though I'd love another RAID/35th SOC member too... so that's my politician answer Very Happy

Dantooine Base: Keeping flyover country Imperial-free since 2007
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dirk steele (karl)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i say go with the y wing they are the bomb!! Razz
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either Pilot, both A's and Y's are on the rise and Dantooine needs a Squadron! (And you only need TWO more pilots to form!)

gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HazardThree wrote:
Either Pilot, both A's and Y's are on the rise and Dantooine needs a Squadron! (And you only need TWO more pilots to form!)

yeah, just two out of three Wink

You should just do both... RFT is way cheap, I can make all of it for you except the helmet (for the cost of parts, which are not much separately).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm....

After much consideration, I think I have come to a decision on what would be best.

Since my friend Greg will be done with his A-wing pilot costume soon and will register into our base, I think it would be best for our squadron if we had a Y-wing pilot. I enjoyed flying Y-wings in Rogue Squadron for Gamecube while Greg always flew A-wing. We have that connection from years back, and I think it fits well to form a good squadron of our own.

I didn't know the Rebel Trooper was so cheap to make, so I will definitely throw in for that as well.

So far, I found the tutorials for the RFT, and where I can get a gray jumpsuit for the Y-Wing. However, any links, pictures, or advice on making these two costumes would be greatly appreciated.

On a similar note, I will be bringing in several New Republic Jedi into our base after the 22nd of November. My groomsmen of my wedding have custom made jedi costumes in various tones of gray and a small amount of black. This will bring in at least 5 more members for us, and I my even convince them to be Rebel Troopers with me as well depending on how cheaply we can make the costumes.

Thank you for all your support!

FYI - here is a pic of Carth for those who don't know him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my 'laundry list' of about what I paid for RFT parts - each of these were things that can be purchased in 'batches', not a lot of huge outlays like buying large armor kits or other big items:

Shirts ~$30 (though w/ surplus closeouts on these now, there are some folks getting them cheaper)
BDU for vest ~$15, though I can get them for about $10 if I watch the out in style sale newsletters.
Belt Material ~$20 at Tandy Leather (and they're kind of on the high end)
Pants ~$25, and these are worn right out of the box
Gun ~$20 for the Nerf gun and paint
Boots ~$50 - these fluctuate greatly depending on how hard you look and how rare your size is... but they're used for pilot costumes as well...
Helmet ~$70 for unassembled kit and misc supplies to finish it. Don't know if these same kits are available though; there are others though.
That comes to about $250, and you can do it very well over time... Let me know if you ever want help!

HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben - if you're going Y-wing, hop on over to the Rebel Pilot forum and start poking around. I'll PM you about the helmet.

Here's a good tutorial:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=39214&highlight=Y-wing+helmet

Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info guys!

I am excited to do these projects, and with this arsenal of information, I am confident that I can do it to the best of my ability.

I will mention, though, that RL definitely needs more tutorials from its members. Tutorials would make things much easier on new members. I can promise everyone here that while building these costumes, I will be writing a tutorial as I go and taking plenty of pics.

Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Dantooine Base All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: