Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=630a1d85d3c9a93f048d8af8b91215baMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Hoth Trooper question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orion Knight-Star (Alex McKeel)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Hoth Trooper question Reply with quote

A future member of the RL needs help and wants to know how to make a hoth trooper blaster rifle. Can someone help please?

thanks
alex mckeel

CO Corellian Base
Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hoth Rifle that the Rebels used was based on the German STG-44, with some slight modifications.

If you have the means to make it yourself, or have friends who can assist, then I have a few suggestions.

Use the bottom rifle as your reference, that was the Hoth Rifle:

First, go to http://www.cushmanpaintball.com/replicastg44.html

Get the $50 unit, because you are going to need to modify it. Here is the deal with the modifications.

You are going to want to remove everything that has a red circle around it. Those are not on the Hoth Rifle. That item that is marked with the green circle, that is something that you will want to replace with something that looks like the pump handle of a shotgun. You can either cut it out, or create a shotgun pump that will go over it.

Since this is an ABS vac formed item, you will need to put some PVC pipes in the give it some stability when you marry the two halves together. You can cut the barrel off, altogether and reattach the front sight on a PVC pipe, I will leave that up to you. But you will definitely need some sort of PVC pipe in the back to make up the stock for the rifle. You will also need to make a flat T for the stock as well.

That item on the receiver just behind the rifle scope assembly was basically a flash suppressor of some sort. You could probably use some PVC to make it. It would be about the same thickness as the barrel of the rifle.

As for for the rifle scope assembly??? That is where you may need an artisan to help you out with that. The scope may be easy to do, but the housing is something that was custom made. The parts have never been identified and I don't know anyone who has ever produced this peticular scope/housing unit.

Of course you will want to attach a sling to it. If you can get them to work for this project, those rifle slings should be easy to find. I would suggest the Uncle Mike's brand rifle sling attachments, or something similar.

The ABS plastic is something like .90 gauge plastic, I think. That is as good of a start that I can get, with thinking most all of this off of the top of my head.

Good Luck. I hope it works out for you!

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though it's not exactly right, Phyllis just uses her Endor Rifle, because it's close enough.

That's what I'd do, if I ever did this costume.
Razz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen airsoft replicas of the STG-44 also when web browsing. They are likely to be more expensive than the Cushman.
Corellian Exports may have all the "greeblies" that are glued to the side of the gun (if you want to build it super-accurate).
The scope is the same as on the DH-17 "Rebel Trooper Blaster", but is built into a cage of some sorts...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scope should be easy enough to do... but that assembly housing would be the bane of my existence.

You could do the Endor rifle, since they are 1) more readily availble, or 2) easier to build. But if you really want to tackle the project that I outlined for you, I'd love to see the finished product!

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kimelius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since our Customs Service and state firearm laws won't allow the cushman paintball skins into the country without the paperwork, I'm inclined to just run with the Endor version for now...

...though its not a requirement for costume acceptance, blasters do appeal to the masses...?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely...
everyone loves the blasters and rifles and bfgs...
but
as noted...
there simply wasn't enough of a difference between the Hoth and Endor rifles to get me to make a Hoth...

the same can be said for the blaster at the hip...

The Hoth blaster is slightly different from the RFT DH-17
but again...
not different enough...

If I ever have no projects...
and get bored...
I might try to make accurate Hoth weaponry...

but I have to be honest....
I don't think that I will ever have the time...
there are always "new worlds" to conquer...

Very Happy

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Darth Lars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimelius wrote:
Since our Customs Service and state firearm laws won't allow the cushman paintball skins into the country without the paperwork, I'm inclined to just run with the Endor version for now...

Really? I thought Cushman sold them as unpainted kits in white plastic. Usually two halves that you have to glue together.
Luc Skywalker (Luc Massey)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimelius wrote:

Same problem here, but I've asked him about shipping to Canada and he said they haven't had any problems sending the kits here. They are marked as plastic toy parts. And I already got the parts to modify it from TK560(well, it's for an Endor rifle but what the heck Wink ) so I think I will give it a try. Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everybody here. I am the person who's looking for the rifle. Thanks for everybody's info. I will try these avenues. I just need the raw materials; I can prop build okay. Just need a source for the components. I can't believe I haven't ALREADY built one of these, as old as I am!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Lars wrote:
Kimelius wrote:

Really? I thought Cushman sold them as unpainted kits in white plastic. Usually two halves that you have to glue together.

They can be sent in an unassembled kit. It's like $50 for the unassembled kit. I do believe that the kit comes in molded black abs plastic.

- Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: