About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6977496e25bdcd0c792c0dbc2719caa1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Introduction...and Questions!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gecko ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Introduction...and Questions! Reply with quote

Hello!

Michael Joiner - "GECKO" logging on from sunny St. Augustine, Florida!

Lifelong Star Wars Fan-atic (first 5 year old on my block to see "Star Wars" back in the day) and, yet, at the same time - often feeling WAY out of my league in some of y'all's company!

I've been aware of the 501st for years, recently stumbled upon the Rebel Legion. Icing on the cake was when I found out a guy I work with is a TD with the 501st. Several conversations later, and here I am!

Not, by nature, a "costume-er" but very much into philanthropic activities. Events that are focused on helping people, or just bringing some fun into someone's life is something I really get into.

So what does a guy with that kind of ambition do...? Well, if he's 6'4" tall...coming in at 250+...why not a wookie?

(truth be told - if I comb it right - I just might be hairy enough as it is...but that would just not really present the right image...)

First timer taking on an "advanced" costume? Yep, glutton for punishment.

I have looked at the standards page, and seen where a few wookies out there are rocking the Rubies Chewbacca Supreme (or, isn't there another Wookie supreme suit too?). What is the "official" ruling on this? According to the standards page, it does specify "no store bought masks" - but, otherwise, looks like the suit would be a go. It wouldn't be yak hair, or any of those more realistic touches, but otherwise?

Now...the "store bought mask" issue... does that mean that, for approval, it has to be a mask that someone makes from scratch? Plaster molding and all of that? It says that the mouth doesn't have to be "move-able", but it only seems like you'd be believable if you have a moving mouth. Are there modding instructions for making a mask such as the Rubies Supreme have a moving mouth?

Height issues... I used to think I was a pretty tall guy - then I find out, through the boards, that I'm a respectable height for a wookie FEMALE!?!?! I guess I can make myself comfortable with that, if forced - I just never thought I'd embark on my first gender-bending adventures with so much body hair! Laughing

How many wookies out there are actually tweaking themselves up to the 8 foot height range? Or does a 6'4" guy have a chance at passing as a male? I kinda figure - a wookies head has a pretty significant dome - must add a couple of inches?

Thanks for all of your time, patience, and support.

Michael "GECKO" Joiner
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, welcome! Well you're posting in the right area to get Wookie help, I know at least two people on the boards here that will be in touch with you shortly I'm sure ;-)
In general I can say, you shouldn't have an issue going with this as your first costume if you have patience. Just keep in mind that you are going with one of the more difficult costumes to start with.
The height issue is generally conquered with stilts. Which is also the reason most people will make their own wookie suit as an off-the-shelf one isn't going to be made to be around 8' tall. Also they just don't look as good as what some have been able to do on their own. Just remember that your first costume needs to be Formal, so keep in mind that you want it to look like it just stepped off the screen.
Good luck on your adventure! and I'm so very jealous of your location, I visited there once and it was such a beautiful town!
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing I would do is sign up for the yahoo group and check out the site... good place to see other people who have gone down the path of the very hairy.

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/wookiee/

Then I would become great friends with this site:

http://www.rebellegion.com/chewie/

Although for some reason that site is having issues.. hmm... just pics, very weird. The other thing I would do is check in with Matt Pfingsten, he like Grandpa Wookiee around here( even though he is younger than me)! He is also the guy to ask questions on what will pass and what will not. I know if he is like others... he is not a big fan of Rubies costumes... with good reason.

My 2 cents...
Nothing is more impresive than an 8 foot tall wookiee, being that you are 6' 4.. you will have to come up with something to get that hight. I think you might be able to get away with lifts ( wooden blocks ) to raise you up a bit higher. I think the key to a good chewie is to make sure you are at least the tallest at an event... No vader should tower over you... or even be close!

The Rubies costume requires way to much re-work to even bring it close to usable... this is just my opinion though. It may look cool and all, but it looks a bit holloween. I know Duck has posted alot of pics of his costume, and I believe he was the last to do so. You may wanna check out that thread to get an idea what needs to be done to get a wookie thru the ranks.

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13465

I too have made my own chewie, although I did not take nearly as many photos as I now wish I had, but I am sure I can awnser any questions you might have as well.

Good luck.. its not an easy road... but the rewards are so worth it!

Bob
nein numb ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seek Matt and Duck. Yoda

That is a really big costume to take on for a first timer. Just a heads-up. If you still want to do it, good luck and keep us posted on the progress.

I can identify why you wanted to do this. I too got into it for the charity/ community service aspect of it. I did an event that was not for these reasons and it felt kinda weird to me. Welcome aboard and you're in the right spot. Use the Search feature and if you still can't find it, ask. We will all take the time to answer it or point you to some one that can. Remember, we all stood where you are right now. At the begining. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: