Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=18c8deb614a534ff1938b4314c21eb44Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Is this a legitimate site to purchase X-Wing gear from?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmann (Blake Mann)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Is this a legitimate site to purchase X-Wing gear from? Reply with quote

Hello:

I came across the following link on one of the X-Wing costume resources pages.

I have e-mailed the web master of the site several times but I have not received any response yet.

They have a full X-Wing pilot suit for sale as well as individual costume items but I wanted to see if anyone has purchased from them and received their items before I commit a lot of money.

http://www.starfortressproductions.com/swtherebellion.html

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,
Blake
Rogue Solo (Marty Richau)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm remembering this correctly, starfortress is known for ripping people off.

If you want to buy a base costume to get started with, a lot of people are starting to use Costumebay(base?) on e-bay for the flightsuit, and going from there.

dbuck (david buckley)
Endor Base XO
Endor Base XO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pics of the suit itself are so indistinct that I probably shouldn't comment on it, but I will say the vest is terrible. Their other items (chestbox-hello, that's important) don't even have pics. I'd keep looking.

David

Einstein

edgejedi (Jase Fox)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that Starfortress Productions are on the Rebel Legion blacklist as far as suppliers go. So purchasing from them is NOT recommended.

There are way too many tales about SFP to go into, but lets just say that there are many, many more suppliers out there who have better reputations, delivery times and morals.

Im sure people will be happy to PM you with their details or just use the 'search' button to check some of the previous enquiries about this in other threads.

Have a look in here and just read back some of the threads....

Heres one with a discussion about suppliers....
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13683

Rebel Legion Council Emeritus : Base Command Liaison Officer - 2007/08
Rebel Legion UK Emeritus : Commanding Officer - 2005 to 2009
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their stuff is not all it is cracked up to be. Their reputation aside for a moment, let me go over some things I have learned from independent purchasers as well as observations.

Flight Suit:
The flight suit itself is made from a thin material. The pockets are nowhere near accurate and in most cases it requires major work to fin the wrists and neck. The legs do not stay tucked in because of the lightness of the material, and the sizes are hit and miss.
Suggestion: Buy from CB on ebay or purchase two orange coveralls from the recommended link in Echo Base and modify them yourself (or hire a tailor to do it).

Vest:
Where to begin. It's missing the small ribs on the front, it's missing the side catches, it has the wrong kind of shoulder rivets to be the ESB vest, and the slide on the back is all wrong.
Suggestion: Buy from CB on ebay or make your own... again, Echo Base has the info. If you buy from CB, you will also need some other small supplies, but they are cheap and easy to obrain for the modification.

Harness:
It's not supposed to be worn on the outside, you can see the shoulders when worn under the vest, the leg straps are hook to it the wrong way, it is typically to short for people of normal height, and it is too stiff and is liable to chafe.
Suggestion: Make your own... guess where to find the details and a good supplier: Echo Base.

Belt:
Wrong buckle, no belt flare loops, and the size is hit and miss.
Suggestion: Make your own... the buckle is not that easy to find, but it is out there.

Garter:
Ya, it is just a black loop. Make your own or buy one off of ebay!

Gloves:
Overpriced and wrong. The black ones didn't have the comlink and the white ones were better constructed.
Suggestion: Get some Ren Faire gauntlet gloves or a pair of white work gloves.

Boots:
Ya, I'm not even going to go there. These are nice unless you actually want to wear them. The leather bleeds like a stuck bantha, the sizes are hit and miss (even worse accuracy than stormtroopers), and they will fall apart quickly.
Suggestion: Engineer boots and remove the lower strap.

Chest Box:
Denied! It is a POS. They do not provide a hose for it, and finding one in America to fit the metric hose tip is nearly impossible (South Asian, standard). The self-adjusting straps are not connected tightly and slide loose. The details on the bo is okay, but the TK-Jim boxes are a billion times better and you can do your own straps.
Suggestion: Go TK-Jim for the box and make your own straps.

Helmet:
Now, with the reputation aside, the helmet is probably the only decent part they sell. The lines are very soft and will require a great deal of sanding to get right, their paint schemes are bantha fodder, and they are obviously a recast. The padding is about like wearing a brick, you can get a more accurate microphone from a fifth-grade art project, and the visor is... well, the visor is the most accurate piece of the entire helmet (but it will fade).
Suggestion: I would not do business with this company, as you can find a better helmet out there for less that is of much better quality. If you do want a fiberglass lid, then you can probably find that also. As for the rest, well, look in the forum to find accurate microphones and such.

Overall:
I would not do business with this company even if they did not have the stigma of their reputation. Their stuff is too cheap and poor in quality. You can DIY or find it elsewhere for better prices and quality.

If you'd like some help on where to look, I'm putting together a workshop project and have a list of sources I'd be willing to share, just ask.

Also, if you live in or near the Pacific Northwest, keep an eye out and you can get in on the workshop in June (details soon).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my two word review of their products:

It's crap!
IndustrialSizeEd (Ed Cook)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16WarBird wrote:
Here is my two word review of their products:

It's crap!

Ditto.

Previous Positions:
Member, Legion Council
Commander, Rebel Legion
Commander, Central Base
Commander, Screaming Tauntaun Squadron
Commander, Rebel Legion Starfighter Command
Skaught ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay away from Mo Lester.

Scott
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run Forrest! Run!

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Wolfie (Crystal Bass)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

save your money and make your own costume or buy from people around here... you could probably put together two or three costumes for the money you would spend on that garbage.

not to mention you could then sell two of the ones you have extra LOL
bmann (Blake Mann)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Thanks for all that good advice Reply with quote

Thank you to all that responded to my question.

I really appreciate all the good advice and suggestions!

Regards,
Blake
Mr. Bojangles

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blake Mann,

This is Azman from the R2 Builders group.

What do you need for the Xwing stuff? PM me.

Thanks

A
Krash ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfie wrote:
save your money and make your own costume or buy from people around here...

I think a major point of bmann's question (and he's not the first to ask) is that since we're not permitted to openly post the names of "people around here" that have proven to be a reliable supply chain for costume parts. Everyone just says PM me, and the intell fades away from there.

Bojangles... trooperellis... dreadnaught... I think you're in good shape.

edgekedi wrote:
I understand that Starfortress Productions are on the Rebel Legion blacklist as far as suppliers go. So purchasing from them is NOT recommended.

See, a thread with a list of vendors like that would be helpful.

I know everyone here like to throw in their 2 cents on the detail flaws of a particular vendor... but the coin jar is full, and most newbies still don't know WHERE to go?

Editor:
All Wings Report In! - Great Lakes Base blog
Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that neither legion, 501st or Rebel Legion are willing to put up any kind of post that identifies certain vendors on an official blacklist.

SFP, Outworld, Shadowdale are on an unofficial listing because of who they are and their track record.

The understanding that I got from Scot Will, the Merchandising and Branding Officer for the 501st Legion is that there can't be an official blacklist no more than there can be an official approved list.

The reason: it all comes down to endorsement. The 501st and Rebel Legion can't endorse one vendor over the other because it gives the impression that LFL endorses that vendor. The same is said true about the blacklist. We can't blacklist, publicly, because it gives the impression that LFL blacklists that vendor.

This is the whole reason behind not naming vendors publicly. It protects the vendors who aren't authorized to deal their wares, as well as doesn't leave anything to chance in the realm of linking LFL to anything that could give a negative image of the franchise. Remember, our first duty is to protect the image of the franchise first, and foremost.

Of course, it would be nice to have an unofficial blacklist that could be PM'd to folks if they wished to view them. It would be nice if merchandising and branding officers could attach a rating system to known listed vendors and have the information readily available, via PM, should anyone wish to see them.

I may be asking for a bit much, but I think it would be a great tool to have for the future. We'd be protecting our own, as well as future members, alike.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Krash ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramys Strael wrote:
The reason: it all comes down to endorsement. The 501st and Rebel Legion can't endorse one vendor over the other because it gives the impression that LFL endorses that vendor. The same is said true about the blacklist. We can't blacklist, publicly, because it gives the impression that LFL blacklists that vendor.

Have you read any of the threads about the new Museum Replica line? Some of us (not it) have pretty much torn them a new "thermal exhaust port"... and they already got the seal of approval from LFL.

Quote:
Remember, our first duty is to protect the image of the franchise first, and foremost.

Quote:
Of course, it would be nice to have an unofficial blacklist that could be PM'd to folks if they wished to view them. It would be nice if merchandising and branding officers could attach a rating system to known listed vendors and have the information readily available, via PM, should anyone wish to see them.

I may be asking for a bit much, but I think it would be a great tool to have for the future. We'd be protecting our own, as well as future members, alike.

I like where you're going with this... but let's just make it "official" and NOT public, but available to PM upon request.

I agree... it's about protecting our own AND the image of the franchise.

Editor:
All Wings Report In! - Great Lakes Base blog
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: