Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=46578479d0b740e6c14d92e07710816cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rubies Han Solo Blaster
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Weaponry and Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too picked them up, cause seriously they're cheap. I was tempted to put some batteries in it just to see if I want to take it apart to keep the sound board or not. My plan is to fill the screw holes with something, possibly try to sand down the TM info, prime and paint...I've never done anything like this so I'm willing to take suggestions on what to use for filler and paint!
I picked up a couple just in case I completely goofed.
I was thinking about filling the handle where the batteries would normally go with something to give the back side of the gun a bit more weight to it...but other than that it looks pretty sweet.
dirk steele (karl)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to fill the screw holes there are lots of ways to do it .hot glue to , auto body filler , modeling putty , epoxy, ect .... i would use something easy to sand like the auto body filer or modeling putty.
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I noticed the barrel end isn't actually like the pic at all, instead of going in it's just a flat disk with holes in it. I'm wondering if I should even bother trying to mod that.
edgejedi (Jase Fox)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine today courtesy of eBay at a nice price....bought from Blockbuster costumes over at www.blockbustercostumes.com

Anyone buying from the same please, they have a 10% discount coupon when you checkout, just enter GR8DEAL for a price reduction! Heres the link to the item.

Onwards to modding it now, sure better than breaking (yet again) my resin blaster at troops... Rolling Eyes

Rebel Legion Council Emeritus : Base Command Liaison Officer - 2007/08
Rebel Legion UK Emeritus : Commanding Officer - 2005 to 2009
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm disappointed with the way the scope is molded to the body, not sure I want one, now. Confused
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masterbean wrote:
Also I noticed the barrel end isn't actually like the pic at all, instead of going in it's just a flat disk with holes in it. I'm wondering if I should even bother trying to mod that.

thats probably where he speaker sits .
nein numb ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't too bad of a product for trooping, IMHO. I drilled out the holes in the flash suppressor; run a dremel down the center of the flat disk on the end of the flash suppressor and the vibration will break the glue loose and it just lifts out. Very Happy The speaker sets back in the flash suppressor which acts like a speaker cone to amplify the sound a bit. When I pull the trigger, I don't hear it, but everyone I point it at thinks it's pretty loud. Might come in handy in a crowded convention hall?! Razz My big disappointment is that the front of the scope is molded to the body and the barrel. There is no way to seperate the two without a major overhaul that would not be worth it on a $15 blaster! Hey, fill the screw hole, add some holes to the front and back of the scope, modify the flash suppressor and there you go! Nothing to write home about, but nice enough to put in a holster and strap it to your leg. It will look convincing and no one will know the difference. Heck, pull it out a few times for a pic or two and you'll be happy. Again, this is just one mans opinion. Wink
grey_starr (Daniel)
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me... After shipping and modding etc... I'd be just as well off getting another resin... and then it'd be much prettier.
edgejedi (Jase Fox)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....reason I opted for this blaster was the very fact that while trooping with resin blasters just dont seem to stand up to the rigors of being a pilot...(I destroyed mine twice and I aint repairing it again....theres more glue on it than resin now lol) Rolling Eyes

With this blaster I can throw it around and not worry about it being destroyed by 'little hands' (well - sometimes adults too actually...). The kids used to get so excited they'd pull the trigger....which instead of making an exciting blaster sound 'just like in the film' simply went...'snap' Neutral

Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet...well after reading what some others did, I'll leave the sound board in-tact. I guess the fringe benefit of having this blaster modded up is you really wouldn't mind giving it to a kid or other person that wants a photo with you. I know when I see my fellow Jedi's hand a kid a lightsaber to hold in a pic, they glow brighter than the blade...it's all about the smiles Wink
edgejedi (Jase Fox)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I have (some) time. Wow. I never usually have much of that. So Ive made the most of it and have put on the first coat of black and weathering and filled the screw holes, just to see what it looks like at first attempt. I want it to have a kind of rough and battered look but the plastic is sooooo smooth...I'll sand it down a little me thinks later. Please excuse the paint still being wet - thats how much Im now rushing before my son wakes up... Surprised

When I have more time (circa 2011?) I'll probably rework it, but right now I need it for a troop this Saturday so at least it will sit in my holster and look something like (ie. not blue and orange haha).

Masterbean wrote:
sweet...well after reading what some others did, I'll leave the sound board in-tact. I guess the fringe benefit of having this blaster modded up is you really wouldn't mind giving it to a kid or other person that wants a photo with you. I know when I see my fellow Jedi's hand a kid a lightsaber to hold in a pic, they glow brighter than the blade...it's all about the smiles Wink

I left the soundboard in mine....and you are totally right about handing the kids a piece of the SW galaxy....the smiles just never fade....

Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edgejedi wrote:
Today I have (some) time. Wow. I never usually have much of that. So Ive made the most of it and have put on the first coat of black and weathering and filled the screw holes, just to see what it looks like at first attempt. I want it to have a kind of rough and battered look but the plastic is sooooo smooth...I'll sand it down a little me thinks later. Please excuse the paint still being wet - thats how much Im now rushing before my son wakes up... Surprised

When I have more time (circa 2011?) I'll probably rework it, but right now I need it for a troop this Saturday so at least it will sit in my holster and look something like (ie. not blue and orange haha).

Masterbean wrote:

I left the soundboard in mine....and you are totally right about handing the kids a piece of the SW galaxy....the smiles just never fade....

Personally, with it being painted, I think it looks just fine. Sure, it's not exactly correct with the scope being part of the body and all (which is weird... but oh well), but to be honest... who's going to notice unless they're really looking for it? The main focal point of an outfit should be the outfit, not the blaster (which is just a prop). Unless, of course, you're dressed as Han Solo or something; and even than I don't think it would be noticed all that much as long as the blaster isn't a neon orange.
And besides, for $10-15 you can't beat it. Slap some paint on it, drill a few holes, and there you go.

A question, though... Did you drill those holes all the way through that, or did you just drill in a little bit and paint inside the holes black? I can't tell if they're all the way through and that's a shadow or if the holes are painted. Razz
Not that it matters, was just curious. I'm thinking about getting one of these blasters too... It's either this one or the old Hasbro one which also isn't exactly correct, and it's still orange. Why the heck do they always make the blasters orange and/or blue? >>;;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping to have some time next weekend to make my own progress on this...but I just got word that my innards for the lightsaber are on their merry way...which means it's time to work on building that lightsaber hilt instead. Sorry, main costume takes priority Wink
I guess I should say only costume at this point...so far Han is still a pipe dream. But looking and reading about others progress does make me chomp at the bit to start working on mine...we'll see.
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my concerns with the scope being molded to the body, is making a holster for it. The scope will have to go inside the holster, instead of outside, unless a large cut out is made in the side of the holster for it.

I've just been given an airsoft Mauser for an early Christmas present, so I will be spending $$ for a kit to convert it into the Luke ESB/Han RoTJ version.

I may still get one of these Rubies blasters anyway, we'll see. I don't expect it's going to fit into the holster I'll be making for my nicer blaster, but it would be nice if I could get it to fit.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Loreen Shadowchaser wrote:
One of my concerns with the scope being molded to the body, is making a holster for it. The scope will have to go inside the holster, instead of outside, unless a large cut out is made in the side of the holster for it.

I've just been given an airsoft Mauser for an early Christmas present, so I will be spending $$ for a kit to convert it into the Luke ESB/Han RoTJ version.

I may still get one of these Rubies blasters anyway, we'll see. I don't expect it's going to fit into the holster I'll be making for my nicer blaster, but it would be nice if I could get it to fit.

that's a very merry Christmas...I want your friends! hehe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Weaponry and Props All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: