About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=12599625f8d8f8ace8c74bb1970f54e0Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Stuff the Bus for the Salvation Army
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Dantooine Base -> Dantooine Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Stuff the Bus for the Salvation Army
Event from Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:00 pm to Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:00 am

Name of Event: Stuff the Bus for The Salvation Army
Time: Sat, Dec 6, 2008 11:00 am to Sat, Dec 6, 2008 06:00 pm
Location of Event:
Toys R' Us
11610 W 95th st.
Overland Park, KS

Way the event is connected to Star Wars: Charity event
Will there be a place for troopers to change? Yes
Will there be a secure place for troopers to store their storage tubs while trooping the event? Yes
Will family/friends be allowed to attend the event? Yes
Are cameras allowed and can we take pictures at the event? Yes
Are weapons allowed on the costumes? Yes
Is there a special place to park at the event? Does parking cost? In the parking lot out front
Are Rebel Legion/Jedi Assembly/FanForce costumed members requested too? Yes
How many costumed members are requested? As many as possible
Will lodging be provided by the local troopers for garrison members travelling a great distance? no

Additional information or comments: We will be set up out front of the Overland Park Toys R' Us. Asking for toy donations to "Stuff the Bus". The Salvation Army is floored about this event, and is giving us any help possible. I will be going to Oak Park Mall and Toys R Us on "Black Friday" in costume to pass fliers out for the event which is the following weekend. All the toys collected in this event will be passed out between 4 different Salvation Army branches. Due to our current economy and people not donating they are in terrible shape as far as Christmas is looking. The Media also contacts them regularly during the Holiday season looking to cover their events so they are saying this will most definitely be covered by at least one TV station.
This is a 7 hour event and Im not expecting anyone to last the entire day, so if you can come later or earlier thats fine.

This is a joint event, being put together by the 70th Explorers with our help. They're asking for the help of HotA (KCFF) to help handle toys since most of us are more than a little challenged in the movement department. Here is the orginal thread if you're interested: http://70thexplorers.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2176

Dantooine Base: Keeping flyover country Imperial-free since 2007
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jayne ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone coming through Lawrence willing to give me a ride, or want to carpool if I drive?
GsWookie (Sarah German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be there! Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll try to make it , at least for a while . and jayne i live in lawrence so we could carpool .
GsWookie (Sarah German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already asked my family and my coworkers to donate toys since they live too far away to attend. So hopefully I'll be there with several toys to donate! Very Happy
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was asked to try a mock up of a main picture for the flyer for this event.

I have my first attempt, which you can see below. I would have done a full drawing if I had more time, but I think the layered clip art does well. I used some simple shading and adjustments to make the pieces look more like they belong together.

It does look a little busy with the number of items in the picture, but I had a rough time making it appear as if the bus was stuffed without having so many items. I also left the word bubble blank, hoping for some suggestions to fill it with.

Any suggestions and comments on how to improve this before printing would be greatly appreciated.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome! Though for safety's sake you might mock up a version of it using a trolley car too, as there's a CHANCE it'll be that instead of a bus (I'm sorry I don't know for sure, but trying to get definite answers on charitable contributions is a bit sketchy often). But the concept is awesome!

As for the bubble... maybe something like "We would be honored if you would join us" might be appropriate, no?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
oba-winn8403 (Ben Watkins)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the trolley mock up just in case.

I put the words suggested in the word bubble, and found a font that I think fits vader.

I do like the quote from ESB to be included, although I may try a few other more generic phrases that general public can see as a pun or amusing.

If I come up with anything, I'll let you know.

Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
GsWookie (Sarah German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are these flyers going to be in color or in black and white?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GsWookie wrote:
are these flyers going to be in color or in black and white?

We are supposed to be getting the printing donated by a local shop, so since it's a charitable contribution I'm hoping they'll spring for color... even if they don't I can' easily print a small number of color versions at work for the flyers I will distribute around me...

If anyone talks to Jason (Jaster/Dust Devil) nudge him gently about my outstanding questions from me. Wink But I don't have my phone today for him to call me...

LukeSkiewalker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted this event on the StarWarsKC site and the post will go live a week prior to the event.
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LukeSkiewalker wrote:
I have posted this event on the StarWarsKC site and the post will go live a week prior to the event.

Thanks!
You gonna stop by, since we'll be so close to you Wink

oba-winn8403 (Ben Watkins)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some newer versions of the logos, with transparent backgrounds instead of white.

gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is everyone ready for this weekend?

gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mission Report is posted.

Thanks everyone!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Dantooine Base -> Dantooine Archive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: