Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8047bd74ae94f0757b643578e4437218Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Pilot Project
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Mos Eisley Base -> Mos Eisley Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zen Solo ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Pilot Project Reply with quote

I wanted to start a thread since it seems we have several folks here working on various pilot costumes. Feel free to post up your progress or questions you may have and don't forget to get them submitted!

Sand Dancer (Brenda Cranson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone saw my Pilot Dress Uniform progress at the last work day. I modified an existing coat, but if others want to do this costume I would be glad to help.

Regarding the X-Wing flight uniform- does anyone have a cost idea on the boxes and stuff?

Cindy and I are hoping to go check out a possible supplier for the orange jumpsuits.

If I can figure out a good way to build the vests, you know by talking to Mike and finding out how he built his, would anyone be interested in having me build one? I thought if multiple people were interested and i came up with a good system we might be able to save some money.

"You smell like dead bunnies." -Ralph Wiggum
fleet_trooper ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: pilot Reply with quote

Im planing on doing a y-wing soon. I have seen the x-wing pilot boxes on ebay anywhere from $45 -$75.
Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Bojangles sells a chest box, with hose and straps, assembled... for $75, shipped. I ordered one but haven't seen it yet, he says 4 weeks. I will post a picture when I get it. You can PM him for details.

The shoulder tools I got from The Elvis Trooper for $31 shipped, they are awesome looking... http://www.elvistrooper.com/xtool.htm

Alpha Base has a tutorial and patterns for the vest... http://echobaserebels.com/reference/xwingcostume/ But I haven't started it yet.

It's a good idea to share the spare suit to make pockets, etc... I have Zen's leftovers and it was plenty to make a set of pockets, a collar, etc...
fleet_trooper ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: pilot Reply with quote

How about a y-wing chest box ?
Mnlymn (Mike Little)
Mos Eisley Base CO
Mos Eisley Base CO

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my X-wing chestbox as an unmade kit from:

http://www.tk560.com/catalog.html

"Vacuum formed .080 white HIPs, these chest boxes come with:

chest box shell
back plate
back plate mounting strips
large control dial [resin]
six - 1" square panels
resin cast 'rocker switches'
metal snap fastener
black out material for the dial section
Basic assembly guide

Kit does not include the small hardware, red dots, hose, or strap material, and it will need to be painted."

The catalog has photos of the pieces that come with the kit. It runs $34 plus shipping. It does say that under 20 were made. Mr. Bojangles does good work, but if you want to save a few bucks and don't mind making it yourself, this may be a good alternative.

I sewed my vest myself based on the tutorial that Granny mentions. My greatest difficulty in creating the vest was that I had to unsew it several times after noticing that my lines were going crooked.
RL Trading Card: Series 1, Number 44
RL Trading Card: Series 3, Number 137

"I feel the need...the need for Rebellion!"
StarSkywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

What small hardware is missing that I would need to get if I decide to do it myself? - well not by myself I know I will need help Very Happy. I would like to start with the pilot suit first and then the box kit. I hope to get shopping on that this weekend.

Cindy
Zen Solo ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be down for contributing to a flak vest fund for anyone who wants to make them. I just don't have the time right now to put into the costume anymore than once a week and at this rate it will never get done. I'm still not finished sewing the pockets on!! And Mr. Bojangles also has the vest for sale but its $125 which I can't swing either.

Mnlymn (Mike Little)
Mos Eisley Base CO
Mos Eisley Base CO

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StarSkywalker wrote:
Mike,

What small hardware is missing that I would need to get if I decide to do it myself? - well not by myself I know I will need help Very Happy. I would like to start with the pilot suit first and then the box kit. I hope to get shopping on that this weekend.

You know, I remember them talking about the small hardware not being included; but it seemed to have everything I needed except for the hose, straps or the red dots for the switches (which I believe I actually still have some).

StarSkywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will probably end up ordering that kit since it isn't very expensive at all.

Thanks, Mike

Cindy
Zen Solo ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So whats the status on the flak vest donations?? I'm starting to get stressed, I want this costume for Comic Con (was hoping for toy anxiety but thats now out the window). Who wants my money because there is no way I have the time!!!! Bang Head

Mnlymn (Mike Little)
Mos Eisley Base CO
Mos Eisley Base CO

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't have much in the way of cash to help out, but if anyone needs any assistance with the actual construction or has any questions regarding putting stuff together, let me know.

StarSkywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to order the box kit soon, so i will need your help on that, Mike. I will let you know when i have it.

Cindy
Lady Jedi Carenix ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per Jedi Mickey, a Legion Costume Judge, the costumebase version of the X-wing Jumpsuit and Flak Vest are RL acceptable.

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12141&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Some modificaition/alteration is necessary, but if anyone is looking for a cheap start to an X-Wing pilot, costumebase on ebay is an option. They sell individual pieces or sets (so if you already have your flight suit, you can get a flak vest for about $40 including shipping). If the auction has a "Best Offer" option, you can make a lower offer than the listed price and depending on the offer they'll take it or make a counter offer.

I bought a set with the jumpsuit, the flak vest, and the chest box for $126. I'll need to alter the jumpsuit because I ordered a size Large since people recommended to go a size larger and right now I can wear it but it is too big. The flak vest looks fine to me; the chest box I'm not so sure about.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/Lady_Jedi/Rebel%20Legion%20costuming/IMG_1237.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/Lady_Jedi/Rebel%20Legion%20costuming/IMG_1238.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/Lady_Jedi/Rebel%20Legion%20costuming/IMG_1239.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/Lady_Jedi/Rebel%20Legion%20costuming/IMG_1240.jpg
Mnlymn (Mike Little)
Mos Eisley Base CO
Mos Eisley Base CO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady Jedi Carenix wrote:
Some modificaition/alteration is necessary, but if anyone is looking for a cheap start to an X-Wing pilot, costumebase on ebay is an option. They sell individual pieces or sets (so if you already have your flight suit, you can get a flak vest for about $40 including shipping). If the auction has a "Best Offer" option, you can make a lower offer than the listed price and depending on the offer they'll take it or make a counter offer.

I bought a set with the jumpsuit, the flak vest, and the chest box for $126. I'll need to alter the jumpsuit because I ordered a size Large since people recommended to go a size larger and right now I can wear it but it is too big. The flak vest looks fine to me; the chest box I'm not so sure about.

I would just get some flexible tubing to fill out the loops on your vest.

The clips for the side can be troublesome to find...I got mine through Mr. Bojangles. Then you can get the arm tools from Kenny the ElvisTrooper.

The chest box looks good...no need to be concerned - not every box looked the same in the films, so I think there's a little latitude there. Besides we can always take a look at it and see if a repaint or other reworking is necessary.

Also, unless there's a part I didn't see in your photos, you'll just need to figure out what you'll do with the end of the tubing coming out of the chest box.

I'm excited to see how our Womp Rats are coming together!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Mos Eisley Base -> Mos Eisley Archive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: