About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=13571f73e318c8dbcc629e17c7db5739Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Costume Panel at Phoenix Comicon?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Mos Eisley Base -> Mos Eisley Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Parsec ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Costume Panel at Phoenix Comicon? Reply with quote

Phoenix Comicon has a section for panel submissions. I thought it might be cool to have the MEB hold a short panel on costuming Star Wars. Before I submit, would anyone like to be apart of this. You don't have to talk if you don't want to. You can always just model and help out with questions maybe.

Just a thought. Post your thoughts.
Zen Solo ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel I was thinking about this last night and I'd really like to use it as a great tool to tell more people about us and what we do along with showing off some costumes. I think PCC is going to become our biggest yearly recruiting event so this is great.

If we can get a projector set up I can throw a powerpoint together if we like. I'd love to have one costume from each category like trooper, pilot, princess, jedi, wookie (*Ahem* Jack?). Those who actually made the costumes could talk a little about what kind of work went into them and I think this would give people a good perspective of the standards.

Talk about some of our events and charity work as well and what people need to do to join the RL. I'd like to model part of it off the presentation I saw from Sunrider at CIV, I thought it was great and very informative!

*whew* ok those are my thoughts for now!

jettajeffro ()

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again trying not to intrude here. I would suggest spending less time on the costuming and more talking about the events you do and charity work and show alot of pictures of that and leave alot of room for a Q+A. Even if it's a half hour session leave 15 min for questions. I think the best recruiting tool is going to be showing the fun you have but still make it clear you'll need to spend alot of time on your costume.

Like you said Zen, have as many different costumes on people as possible in person to do a little runway show in the middle eisle maybe and have a couple of things to pass around the crowd. The Q+A portion is where you'll get all the questions about how something is made, how long it took, etc and direct those questions to the person in that particular costume.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jettajeffro wrote:
Again trying not to intrude here. I would suggest spending less time on the costuming and more talking about the events you do and charity work and show alot of pictures of that and leave alot of room for a Q+A. Even if it's a half hour session leave 15 min for questions. I think the best recruiting tool is going to be showing the fun you have but still make it clear you'll need to spend alot of time on your costume.

Like you said Zen, have as many different costumes on people as possible in person to do a little runway show in the middle eisle maybe and have a couple of things to pass around the crowd. The Q+A portion is where you'll get all the questions about how something is made, how long it took, etc and direct those questions to the person in that particular costume.

We appreciate your comments! I have no problem talking about the different events we do throughout the year. However I think talking about the costumes is a very important aspect. I know my personal experience with talking to people at the Con last year and at various other events, a majority of the questions I get asked are about the costumes and what it takes to get into the RL.

The fact is that in order to get into the RL and become an active member who can attend these events you need to have a costume that is up to the specific standards. So I think its important to cover both: a little background on the group and events for those not familiar with us at all, and costume discussion for those who have seen us, know us, and are ready to join. I do like your runway idea though!!!

I think there are a lot of people out there maybe who don't have the sewing skills or don't know what it takes to put something together and need help in this area. For example an RFT is probably one of the easiest costumes to take on...but a Queen Amidala dress? That is some serious work. Amadalia

Anyway its good to float some ideas around now. Joel let me know what you find out about us being able to do this and what our options are.

jettajeffro ()

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main person to talk to is Joe Boudrie the programming director. I'm sure you probably have his info from last year but if you need it I can pass it on. I do hope you get a panel separate from the 501st since you do two completely different kinds of costuming. Theirs being more prop based and yours is more sewing craftsmanship based. While you dabble in both you have two separate audiences. I know the last 501 panel I went to people were asking about the good guys.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that runway idea! I think Brenda and Melodie would be great examples for the costumes that are made from scratch and Jack definitely for a wookie! Hehe. I think Slave Leia would be an okay one too to show that you can find 'kits' for some costumes that require some molding and fabric as well.

And I also like the powerpoint idea to give people an idea about what we do exactly and show that it's a non-profit organization dedicated to charity work and whatnot.

So I say let's go for it! Very Happy
Zen Solo ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jettajeffro wrote:
The main person to talk to is Joe Boudrie the programming director. I'm sure you probably have his info from last year but if you need it I can pass it on. I do hope you get a panel separate from the 501st since you do two completely different kinds of costuming. Theirs being more prop based and yours is more sewing craftsmanship based. While you dabble in both you have two separate audiences. I know the last 501 panel I went to people were asking about the good guys.

Thanks Jeff I think Joel has the contacts under control. As for the panel we do need to do something separate from the 501st for sure. One of our missions this last year has been to let these people know at events that we are 2 different clubs not all the 501st! Believe it or not there are people out there who are interested in doing something other than wearing a bucket on their head! Wink Ben

jettajeffro ()

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Solo wrote:
Believe it or not there are people out there who are interested in doing something other than wearing a bucket on their head! Wink Ben

Our philosophy as well.

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While at the DSG meeting, Ray (the other R2 builder) suggested an R2/droid building panel and most seemed to like that idea so they will pitch it to the program director. Anyway, I've been asking other R2 builders that have done panels at other cons for advice.
One point that has been repeated by the others is if you have at least three people on the panel, to have one emcee it to moderate and keep the conversations on track and within the alotted time. Make a list of topics to cover and follow it. The emcee can introduce and direct the topics to the individuals that are most knowledgable/experienced of the subjects to be discussed. The emcee can answer some questions, but should pass most to the other panelists.
Another point that was made was to have all panelists understand how things will work and what subjects will be discussed beforehand so there is no confusion.
For an hour long panel, There was a suggestion to have the Presentation with the basics discussed last for 15 to 20 minutes. Allow some time to field a few questions and then go into the show and tell part which would be the runway show and/or Powerpoint presentation in this case. Discuss things in greater detail and then open it up to general questions.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

David L.
Zen Solo ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave. When are we getting you into that Hangar Tech costume?? Smile

DroidWelder ()

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Solo wrote:
Thanks Dave. When are we getting you into that Hangar Tech costume?? Smile

I'll have to see about that. Hopefully in the next few months. If possible, I'll try to get the jumpsuit in time for the PCC, but no promises.
I was thinking about having a certain person make it up from scratch for me but I'll have to get more info on that.

David L.
fleet_trooper ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Costume Reply with quote

Thats true. You and Josh convinced me to join the rebellion againt the Empire! Very Happy
Lord Parsec ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay gang, here's the link to the submission form. Please DO NOT fill this out and submit it no matter how good your intentions are. Smile Heidi or myself will submit when we all know what we are for sure doing.

http://www.phoenixcomicon.com/index.php?option=com_rsform&Itemid=42

I really just wanted to post it so people could see what the form asks. I think it's incredibly straight forward. It even has a cool section that asks if it relates to any other events at PC (i.e. Jedi Training) and will try to work the panel around the event. Pretty sweet.

Here are a couple of my thoughts...

Panel Name: Dressing a Galaxy (yes it's a rip off but c'mon)
Description: From simple to complex, Members of the Rebel Legion Mos Eisley Base discuss creating costumes from a galaxy far, far away.

(okay so this description sucks but I figure it might inspire someone else)

As for how many panel members, I'm sure they just want the number of speakers (for microphones and such). Costumed characters can be in there hanging around too.

We definitely don't need more than 45-50 minutes... at least I don't think so.

Anyhoo... discuss.
Very Happy
Lord Parsec ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, we need to make up our minds kinda quick. It seems like everything at can this year is booking up fast. Let's not miss out. Smile
Zen Solo ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Parsec wrote:
Okay gang, here's the link to the submission form. Please DO NOT fill this out and submit it no matter how good your intentions are. Smile Heidi or myself will submit when we all know what we are for sure doing.

http://www.phoenixcomicon.com/index.php?option=com_rsform&Itemid=42

I really just wanted to post it so people could see what the form asks. I think it's incredibly straight forward. It even has a cool section that asks if it relates to any other events at PC (i.e. Jedi Training) and will try to work the panel around the event. Pretty sweet.

Here are a couple of my thoughts...

Panel Name: Dressing a Galaxy (yes it's a rip off but c'mon)
Description: From simple to complex, Members of the Rebel Legion Mos Eisley Base discuss creating costumes from a galaxy far, far away.

(okay so this description sucks but I figure it might inspire someone else)

As for how many panel members, I'm sure they just want the number of speakers (for microphones and such). Costumed characters can be in there hanging around too.

We definitely don't need more than 45-50 minutes... at least I don't think so.

Anyhoo... discuss.
Very Happy

45-50 mins sounds good to me. And I think your title and description are fine. All I request is some way to play a powerpoint so a computer hooked up to a projector. I also like the runway idea so as long as we have space in down the isle or on the stage panel to do that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Mos Eisley Base -> Mos Eisley Archive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: