About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=530d0d1896bccc53e62c7cd91f1ad0fbMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Question and answer thread: Sunrider CO
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Sunrider Base -> Sunrider Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miana (Rachel Williams)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CO, in my opinion, is supposed to be a figurehead who helps move the base forward, steps in when they are needed (be it for organizing events or acting as a mediator between members), and is a representative of the group. It is the COs job to keep in contact with the Rebel Legion council and relay to the base any and all information we need to know about upcoming policies or changes. They also need to keep in contact and work with the commanding officers of our 501st garrison to see how we can patch up some of our rocky relationships and also to see how we can be of service them them.

The CO of course cannot do it alone, so they are responsible for delegating certain tasks to help them out. However, this does not mean that the CO can simply pass something off to someone else and sit back and relax. They need to stay involved.

A CO also needs to be someone that members of the base can go to about anything; questions, complaints, suggestions, even if they just need a friend and an ear. They need to be able to listen to anything and be as unbiased as they possibly can.

The CO also needs to be able and confront members who are acting out or doing something to disgrace the name of the base. They need to be able to make decisions and unfortunately sometimes reprimands and be tough enough to deal with the backlash that may come. They need to do what is best for the base.

Linked to that, they also need to be "man enough" to own up if they have done something incorrect. If a mistake happens, they need to address it, not try to hide it or put it off on someone else.

However, the also need to be a source of encouragement. They need to encourage base members to become involved, encourage others to start new projects or improve upon those that they are not completely satisfied with, and ultimately encourage any newcomers who wish to join our ranks.

"Everytime you're not canon, a fairy dies." - Mike
Jedifan77 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inland Empire

We're a pretty big area and have a lot of events. Though most of them are not high profile they're just as important to the attendees as big events in LA and Orange counties. It's very frustrating to get so much 501st support out here (which I'm quite thankful for!), but not much from the RL.

I know you can't MAKE people go to events and that's not what I'm asking. What I'd like to know is are either of you willing to address this issue and possibly come up with a solution to help get more of a RL presence out here at our events (Riverside/San Bernardino counties).

In advance, thank you for your responses.
Miana (Rachel Williams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said it yourself, Kari. We can't make people go to events. Any place not near Los Angeles unfortunately gets less traffic and also has less members. San Diego has the same problem due to distance, but I do agree that it's not as bad as Inland Empire's high desert and other places that would require a few hours drive.

I think all we really can do is encourage people to go, and then try to organize carpools to go out there. You ladies are already doing a great job trying to recruit out there, but having a larger presence will definitely help. I know for myself, it's always just been a matter of having the time to go and the cost of gas to get there. However, I do want to make an effort to go to more events next year, and if I can encourage others to go too, splitting the cost of gas won't be as bad.

SpaceBuns (Sonya Hall)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the one thing (or two or three Smile ) that you would most like to see changed / improved / accomplished this next year?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question period technically ended a few hours ago. Matt, do you care if Gregor and I answer, or is this thread about to be lock?

SpaceBuns (Sonya Hall)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, sorry.
Mos Espa Base CO
Mos Espa Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go ahead and answer it and make final statements, that's fine.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You asked it in time, Sonya. I just wasn't able to get online to answer it in time. wink2

To answer that question, the one thing I really wish to change/improve in the base is our relationship with the 501st. Our relationship is rocky at best; I want to push forward to try and get more cross involvement between the groups and perhaps also help patch up any sore spots that are present in relation to the club.

And of course, just have fun. Because why do it if it's not fun? Very Happy

Tigerantilles (Gregor Sink)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys keep posting questions when Iím 90% done with my draft. I come home, and thereís another question to add to my response.

LizardJedi wrote:
While each organization, no matter the nature, has a "leader", the definition of "leader" can vary from one organization to the next.

In your opinion, and without quoting anything from any Charter, what do you think the CO's duties are, within Sunrider base?

Whenever Iíve come across organizational definitions of a leader, Iíve always seen it in contrast to a manager. A leader is one who leads, and manager is one who manages. Itís oversimplified, but Iíve always taken it to mean a leader is doing stuff with you, a manager is just telling you what to do.

Iíve found the CO position is somewhat vague as written in Article III. A. Sure thereís a lot of administrative duties spelled out there, but then one finds that thereís ďdealing with dramaĒ, and that itís beyond description. (If you told me at the beginning of the year the problems I'd get called on, I would not have believed you) I know Iíve made trying to put an end to drama one of my objectives this last year. Iíd like to think I did fairly well. Sure there were several incidents, and I got just about all but one more or less dealt with (but Iím pending on a response or two).
The CO is there to deal with things as the need arises. The CO is there as a point of contact, and also to help people find the answers to their questions. The CO is a decision maker, but also is there to delegate things to various officers and members. Iíve tried to make a point to let people do as much as they want to do, and not stifle creativity or passion (within reason).
As CO this last year Iíve tried to do what I can to be approachable and available. I think everyone already has my cell #.
The CO also has to be aware of things going on in the Star Wars community.
Also, as a CO we're there to make sure Hoff has to do as little as possible for our given area. We are in effect, little Hoff's. Only our sphere's of responsibility, and epicness of hair is smaller.

Jedifan77 wrote:
Inland Empire

We're a pretty big area and have a lot of events. Though most of them are not high profile they're just as important to the attendees as big events in LA and Orange counties. It's very frustrating to get so much 501st support out here (which I'm quite thankful for!), but not much from the RL.

I know you can't MAKE people go to events and that's not what I'm asking. What I'd like to know is are either of you willing to address this issue and possibly come up with a solution to help get more of a RL presence out here at our events (Riverside/San Bernardino counties).

In advance, thank you for your responses.

Carpools. My Intrepid has seatbelts for 6.
I think there are several obstacles to overcome in regards to events far away from others. We can be open to invite people to events, but life sometimes keeps people from attending. I would think that the first step towards getting more people to events lies in the hands of the event coordinator. After that we can do things like Jonís Hazard mass emails, calling one another, and just seeing who can do what and where.

I think the same thing goes for San Diego as well. We also need to shore up our working relationships with the 501st and other groups in the Star Wars community. Iím still waiting on people down south to go over the feud down there, I hope that I can still help that situation if Iím not in command next year.

Symina wrote:
What is the one thing (or two or three Smile ) that you would most like to see changed / improved / accomplished this next year?

Tough one. Thereís so many. Iíd say the relationship between SDS, SDSWS, SDFF, and RL. Thereís still a lot of bitterness among people and Iíd like to see that worked through. Feuds do not help us.

Behind that, more pilots.
Beyond that, Iíve got this friend who wants to finish her Amidala gown. I keep telling her ďIíve already got handmaidens for yaĒ, but she keeps dragging her heels.
Beyond that, I want people to have fun. Some people arenít having fun, that thereís something wrong with that.
Mos Espa Base CO
Mos Espa Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question and answer period is over and statements have been made. Please vote in the election forum.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Sunrider Base -> Sunrider Archive All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: