About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ec1baa124904d77929831fb34267a3dcMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Would this be acceptable???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leano Jayrik ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Would this be acceptable??? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of doing a generic new republic jedi based off of Jolee Bindo's design. What do you think? I would change the colors a bit, just looking for some imput.

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/7/71/JoleeFullBody.jpg
Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is New Republic, therefore, there should be some flexibility. As I have said in the past, Luke gave his students a lot of leeway. He allowed them to dress as was comfortable to the student.

Most of th examples we have seen for NJO era Jedi have typically been Jedi in flight suits or the traditional style robes of a wide variety of color combinations - provided that it is Earth tone and within reason.

If I were a costuming judge, which I am not, I would approve this based on the uniqueness of the costume and the individuality that is asociated with a New Republic Jedi.

With that said, take what I have said with a grain of salt. Of course, it is up to the costuming judges to dictate whether they would approve this or not.

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends upon what you mean by acceptable. If you want it to be a Formal Canon then you have to provide at least three seperate references for it from the Star Wars universe, which is explained in more detail in the application information.
Leano Jayrik ()

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Old republic Jedi costume but I cannot submit it because it has my Dragon-Con badge visible. I like the New republic better because I want to be different and original. I will think of some more costumes.
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, if you don't already have a formal costume submitted and approved, that would not work for your first costume. But completely do-able afterwards.
But also, it wouldn't be formal so any event that required formal, blah-blah-blah...unless of course you can provide the three seperate references.
Good luck in your journey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While this is all true, look at the reality of formal vs informal. How many events are ever formal, as oppsed to informal? Less than you might think. Most of the time, doing an informal costume is something like, what, 95% of the time?

Just a thought.

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how many events happen, but I do know that the first costume submitted MUST meet formal canon guidelines. I believe that's so they know for a fact that everyone that is a full member has at least one costume they can wear to any event.
But...I can tell you regardless of the frequency of which occur, I can tell you I'd prefer to have a formal outfit for cases such as the Science Museum exhibit of Star Wars, or the thing I think Endor base was invited to for the Force Unleashed where Lucas is going to be there...yeah, that's the stuff dreams are made of...for me anyway
TheStig (Jordan Cannady)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of references do they need to be? Because I found pictures from two different comics and the Jedi vs. Sith The Essential Guide to the Force book that I'm using to work on my costume. Would that be acceptable or would I need something else?
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I am not a judge so I cannot speak with authority. But if I remember my readings correctly, they just need to be licensed Star Wars material. So as long as the material is recognized by Lucas and his companies, then it can be used as a reference point.
I believe if you're using a novel, it has to be pretty percise in the description of the outfit.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point to Mr Bean. I agree with what you're saying.

Stig: Three points of reference means any kind of reference material that can be used to extrapolate the articulation of the costume.

This could be a comic book, a novel, the movies... whatever has descriptions of the costumes thatcan be verified by the costuming judges. Obviously, visual references are the best to use and it would do well for you have them be consistent with one anther.

I hope that helps.

- Bill
TheStig (Jordan Cannady)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
Leano Jayrik ()

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I have so far. I was a DragonCon.... I know I can't use this as an official pic because of the badge....this is a start. I have a new belt coming in so it should look alot better

http://shutter01.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/17/007/3F/AD/67/0F/5Hf0vJ6xjxaIQOfb+2cK1n6YY9Epqe3w0300.jpg
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks nice!
you may need to paint your food pellets a different color, but I don't recall off-hand if the pellets have a specific color requirement, I just know that I've only seen metallic colors.
Leano Jayrik ()

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I was going to get some new ones and probably paint them gray or something.
Aurabesh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I would drop in, and make sure everyone has the correct info. First let me just say that as long as your D*C badge is not around your neck, it should not make any difference in approving your costume. The reason being that most of the pic is going to be cropped for the frame anyway.

Next, if you are going to do that characters costume exactly then you would need to supply the sources. If you are just doing an offshoot of the costume, but not applying as the character; then you do not need to supply the sources.

As for the sources; they do need to be licensed LFL products. IE books, comics, action figures, ect. Each source needs to be different, as in you can't use three different pages from the same comic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: