About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=cdf521442f9a70914aa1b50015e84e1bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Plo Koon costume standards???
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skoe (Eric Skoglund)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Plo Koon costume standards??? Reply with quote

Hi rebel brothers:

We have a new recruit here at Mexico who is beginning this project. I've reviewed for him the canons and I haven't found any clear standards list of this particular costume, so we have a couple of questions right now, and here they are:

1. Which is the color of the pants on this character?
2. Which is the color and shape for the boots for this costume?

Well, we've also found a very limited amount of ORIGINAL picts of this character, and if possible, I want to ask anyone to help us finding more images.

Thanks

skoe (Eric Skoglund)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one has any info about this???

Not even the judges???

Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on if your asking about his film standards or say the Clone Wars CGI film, there are differences

'Just because I don't like to fight. Doesn't mean I can't'

'They can be a great people Kal-El they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way'

'JASON' Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
skoe (Eric Skoglund)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Ky, you're right. We would like to know about the film standards.

So???

Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question.................no idea lol, sorry my friend.

'Just because I don't like to fight. Doesn't mean I can't'

'They can be a great people Kal-El they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way'

'JASON' Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the judges and command staff are just now getting back from DragonCon and recovering from the weekend.
Master_Phil ()

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen, his costume varies from film to film. Here's how I gather his costume to be (and this is what I am basing my Plo Koon costume on):

- Beige Inner Tunic (with a small, light turtle-neck)
- Brown Outer Tunic
- Brown Tabbard
- Brown Obi
- Standard Jedi Belt
- Dark Brown Pants
- Brown Jedi Boots
- Brown Jedi Robe

Here are my reference images:

*Note, he has black boots according to the figure, but in the next few images he has brown boots

The next image shows the beige inner tunic with the turtle-neck like top, and hints at the brown outer tunic beneath his robe:

Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also it looks like his robe is actually his outter tunic and tabard:
http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/b/ba/Jedi_masters1.jpg

you can see at the bottom of the V the material crosses over itself like a tunic. And then there are distinct lines that go down to the bottom of his tunic for the tabard, which looks like it might be sewn into the tunic. So...just based on that outfit, there's no Obi, but three layers...hot!
Master_Phil ()

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I've seen that as well, and I'll probably make that version of the costume as well, after my first one Smile
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, it's the style I would do, if I ever decide to make that mask. I wanted to start out with Plo Koon...but as I've never made a mask I decided to make a generic jedi first. Then mess around with doing life casting and what not, if I ever do end up making that mask, then I'll work on the outfit.
Off-hand I'd say, I'd probably make it so all the layers have been sewn together to cut down on how many actual physical layers there are. And then it would just be kind of a poncho pull on style.
Master_Phil ()

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's probably a really good idea. I'm personally doing the pieces separately so that I can use the standard tunics and robe as a generic jedi as well as Plo Koon, while I work on the distinctive Plo Koon robe (which I would wear with just the inner and outer tunics and not wear the tabbard and obi).
skoe (Eric Skoglund)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My god Phil!!!! You have just so great images there!!! Thanks, they surely will help us a lot. Laughing

About your thoughts, I agree with you on some points, and differ on others:

1. Yeah, he wears a turtleneck, thats pretty obvious in almost all the reference images. The thing is if he uses other piece between that turtleneck and the over tunic.

2. There seems not to be very much detail about the over tunic, if you stick just to the images of the movies, you just figure out things, cause he almost always uses the robe. On the other hand the Sideshows seems to be using just a generic jedi outfit, in a brown light color, but that seems to be our only "real" reference to make this part of the costume.

3. The boots...well...it's just another mess here!!! The Sideshows has them in a dark brown color, and if you see the photo of episode 3 at the jedi starfighter, he has them medium brown, so what to do about this???

4. What about pouches, energy capsules, and the very same shape and color of the belt and buckle???

The thing here is not to make a mistake with our recruit, cause if I tell him any direction and at the end the judges say that is the other way... imagine the problem I would be into!!!

Hope the judges come back soon to answer to us this questions...Thank u very much Phil, you're great!!!

Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what I've read about doing this costume, it's very difficult due to the lack of references. The action figures I've seen, both the one he posted in this thread and what Star Wars shop has currently are just generic Jedi outfits. The colors are different, so I didn't want to post that link to make it even more confusing, especially since it is just a toy.
Me personally, if your member decides to go with the robe like outter tunic, which seems to have the most reference points, then there doesn't seem to be a reason to have a belt or real inner tunic, as long as the robe like outer tunic doesn't actually open up like a robe.
But yeah, I understand you wanting to get a costume judge's input before moving forward. I would be rather frustrated if I went that route and then was told it was completely wrong and needed to do something totally different.
Master_Phil ()

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No prob! Anything I can do to help!

Yeah, I agree with you on that what's under the robe is pretty much conjecture as he is always shown wearing his robe. He could be wearing a multi-colored rainbow obi and a pink heart-shaped belt for all we know, though hopefully not Wink

Having the robe as canon would be the safest way to go, but from what I have read, the judges have not established a standard for Plo Koon as of yet, so having their input on what would be accepted would definitely be the way to go.
skoe (Eric Skoglund)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masterbean wrote:
from what I've read about doing this costume, it's very difficult due to the lack of references. The action figures I've seen, both the one he posted in this thread and what Star Wars shop has currently are just generic Jedi outfits. The colors are different, so I didn't want to post that link to make it even more confusing, especially since it is just a toy.
Me personally, if your member decides to go with the robe like outter tunic, which seems to have the most reference points, then there doesn't seem to be a reason to have a belt or real inner tunic, as long as the robe like outer tunic doesn't actually open up like a robe.
But yeah, I understand you wanting to get a costume judge's input before moving forward. I would be rather frustrated if I went that route and then was told it was completely wrong and needed to do something totally different.

Thanks masterbean, and yes, you're correct on that, we'll have to wait for the official answer... no more to do for now. But thanks again, and gee, the "masters photo" is just great, thanks!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: