About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b8d5737ec59c8956a497491d87e11fe9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rank Bar
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Overlapping Costume Bits
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IndustrialSizeEd (Ed Cook)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people are serious about doing this costume, again, maybe we ought to try to hammer out a rank structure that we can all agree on, again, for uniformity.

Previous Positions:
Member, Legion Council
Commander, Rebel Legion
Commander, Central Base
Commander, Screaming Tauntaun Squadron
Commander, Rebel Legion Starfighter Command
Orin Mallix (Rick Kerman)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a copy of an old SW Technical Journal which has the rank designations. Unfortunately, they don't include Admiral. However, there are color differences for which branch - Army red or Navy blue - so we could use the general rank but change the branch color, unless a pic of Ackbar's rack badge is available.

Sorry, it doesn't want to rotate.

"Oh great, another crazy Corellian!"
MacRican ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have that magazine, LOL!

What about enlisted ranks? cpl, sgt, pvt, etc...

Sgt. Rook, RFT
Squad Leader
Rishi Maze Runners-RAID

"Sure would be nice if we had some GRENADES!"
nein numb ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rank_insignia_of_the_Rebel_Alliance
http://theforce.net/swtc/domino.html

Enlisted ranks-Imperial enlisted personnel have never been shown to have any type of insignia, but do have various types of uniforms which could indicate seniority among the enlisted rank structure. The uniforms appear to range from Soldiers and Technicians, to Sergeants and Naval NCOs, as well as Warrant Officers and Command Sergeants. Each of these groups is shown in the feature films to have various types of uniforms but never have been shown wearing any type of identifying insignia.

Imps do it this way. I think that the rebel alliance may be the same way for enlisted. Just my two cents... Mr. Green
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of using this, Rick, except for one thing. If this were true, then Captain Antilles would be an Naval Admiral rather than a Naval Captain. However, he may have just been Captain by title as Han was Captain Solo even though he had no official rank.

I like the Force.net descriptions, especially since they have the Army/Navy/Starfighter rank titles on it. Even though I am not a pilot (yet), I still plan on using those descriptions when I do my Officer rank for my Naval Officer (ala Captain Antilles, but an actual Captain) and for the rank on my RFT vest.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that I had not seen theforce.net version before. I only had the Technical journal. It is definately something to consider.

Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilots are officers. So, you wouldn't have corporals, sergeants and the like piloting fighter craft. This would be why you don't see any ranks for enlisted personnel.

- Bill

Last edited by Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel) on Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sand Dancer (Brenda Cranson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IndustrialSizeEd wrote:
If people are serious about doing this costume, again, maybe we ought to try to hammer out a rank structure that we can all agree on, again, for uniformity.

That would be super. I know there are at least 3 other people in my State looking at this costume.

"You smell like dead bunnies." -Ralph Wiggum
IndustrialSizeEd (Ed Cook)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sand Dancer wrote:
IndustrialSizeEd wrote:

That would be super. I know there are at least 3 other people in my State looking at this costume.

Really? That's excellent!
Anyone who plans to do this costume should really talk to Ashley or anyone who already has it. Seeing as how this is an actual uniform, it'd be nice if they were all constructed as similarly as possible.

Previous Positions:
Member, Legion Council
Commander, Rebel Legion
Commander, Central Base
Commander, Screaming Tauntaun Squadron
Commander, Rebel Legion Starfighter Command
Orin Mallix (Rick Kerman)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking back on these posts, I reviewed Ep IV. "Capt. Antilles" did indeed have 5 dots on his rank badge.
All I can think is that Lucas probably reconfigured the ranking structure after the success of his movies. He was involving more senior officers so he had to establish rank insignias whereas he only really had one named officer in his first SW movie.

cyranodb (Mike)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...a lack of continuity in the star wars movies...who'd ever think that was possible. Mr. Green
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess we'll have to wait for the super special, who needs money for college release to see them fix the rank structure! Razz

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you want to get technical, an Ensign or an Admiral could be balled Captain if they were the commander of the ship. So, Antilles having the rank bar naming him as a High Admiral (according to Star Wars Technical Commentaries. So, the fact that he was called Captain Antilles by Bail Organa as well as C-3P0, that seems like only a title. According to his rank insignia, which kind of agrees with his position of responsibility, he was a High Admiral in the Rebellion.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orin Mallix wrote:
Looking back on these posts, I reviewed Ep IV. "Capt. Antilles" did indeed have 5 dots on his rank badge.

It has often been said that the word "Captain" is what you call the commander of the ship, regardless of the officer's rank within the Navy.

In the X-wing novels, the X/A/Y/B-wing/TIE pilots are neither part of the Navy nor of the Army but of Starfighter Command, which has its own rank structure.
Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That isn't necessarily true... Starfighter Command is the detachment of the Navy. It is the difference between an infantry unit and an air corp.

In fact, think of of it as the US Army / Air Corp of World War Two. The Army had two divisions: The Army (the infantry) and the Air Corp (fighters)

But you are right about the captain of the ship. Regardless of the actual rank of the officer, be it an Ensign or an Admiral, both can be referred to as Captain of the ship without there being a sleight to the individual or his/her rank in the service.

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Overlapping Costume Bits All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: