About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=735f89392cb4380b78699a4066990688Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Duck makes a Wook
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
duck

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Duck makes a Wook Reply with quote

Figured I'd just consolidate and make this my work in progress thread. I started in earnest on this 2 weeks back (although the bowcaster and rough shoes were made last winter and the bandolier was made 3 weeks ago) and I am going to try the completely impossible: finished in time for our local Halloween parade. Impossible odds? We shall see, but as Solo says "Never tell me the odds!"

Some wookiee updates ....

Here's what my workshop looks like right now:

Here's a foot shot with the hair plugs starting. I will probably go up 3 inches on the sides and backs and 5 inches on the front:

The skull so far. Low tech, all the way! The foam is a great base under the Dragon Skin for holding hair punching. Obviously, the spacing for the teeth is just drawn on to get an idea of where they will go. The jaw is very flexible:

Prior to that last pic, I clayed up the face and cast it so I have a mold for the Dragon Skin (silicone based latex), then stripped it down. Here's the sculpt, but I may re-do it. The lower jaw is too big and round and Kevin Youkilis-esque (Red Sox first base man). Very Ron Perleman:

And the first height tests (with the mask before the skull was finished). I brought down the forehead considerably since these pics, but it's hard because by all accounts, Stuart Freeberg's original mask added exactly 4 extra inches to the top of Mayhew's head ... that's HUGE! I'm just worried about looking like a bobble head doll, especially since I'm not going the full 8 feet, only 7'2":

The undersuit is almost finished and then I'll dye it and start latch-hooking. It's 2 pieces, so I can be working on one while my mom, who I roped into this, works on another. Her house mate and old friend of mine is a seamstress and I'm dragging her into this, too! Our annual Halloween parade is in Woburn Massachusetts (you may have seen the Jabba from last year I and another RL member made), so my new slogan is:

A WOOKIE BY WOBURN!

Last edited by duck on Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Sidesho (Bob Morgan)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Mark!
Great sculpt, the likeness wonderful.
I'll be following your progress. My goal is to one day make a Wookie, But not having a deadline doesn't get me down the the workshop. Laughing
Good luck with your goal, your off to a terrific start! Cool
duck

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danke shoen, Sidesho. I'm still not nuts about the facial likeness, so I wanna carve the lower jaw down more and maybe lower the forehead even more. In case you missed it, here's Some pics from the other stuff.

The bowcaster:

The bandolier:

It will be a freakishly hard road and I give myself at best a 65% chance of pulling this off in time, but I love a stupid challenge. I told my wife "Hey, everyone gets a reality show these days, let's do a show called I Married A Wookiee" and she said "The second season will have to be called "I Divorced A Wookiee".
Sidesho (Bob Morgan)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duck wrote:

It will be a freakishly hard road and I give myself at best a 65% chance of pulling this off in time, but I love a stupid challenge. I told my wife "Hey, everyone gets a reality show these days, let's do a show called I Married A Wookiee" and she said "The second season will have to be called "I Divorced A Wookiee".

Excellent bowcaster & bandolier
If not Woburn maybe Supermegafest? Cool

You have to hand it all of the significant others out there that put up with our hobby, It really can be a strain.
duck

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperMegaFest for certain.

Quote:
You have to hand it all of the significant others out there that put up with our hobby, It really can be a strain.

Yeah, especially after I was clomping around the BBQ at her mom's house yesterday in my wookiee feet, embarrassing her in front of her whole family! But hey, she knew me for 10 years before we got married, she knew what she was getting into![/quote]
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work, Mark. It's really great to see people finally getting into this costume and willing to do it right by learning the techniques and doing it themselves rather than asking for kits or wanting to modify the Rubies suit the way people used to.

If I may make a few suggestions to your mask sculpt:

The chin needs to be sharper. I notice a lot of first time sculpts make the chin round but he actually has a sharp and prominent chin. You can see this pretty well in the pictures of the unfinished skins on my site as well as pictures where Chewie is wearing the collar in Return of the Jedi.

Another thing I noticed is that your face looks a little mean, whereas the various screen-used Chewie sculpts look pretty friendly (except when shot from a low angle).

I would also pay close attention to the nose. It is by far the hardest feature to sculpt as it seems to change shape from picture to picture. I recommend printing some of the photos on my site up as 8x10's and pasting them to some foam board.
duck

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all of your critiques, Matt. Thanks. I've shave down the chin even more since the pics and I'm tweaking the mold negative for the skin so he doesn't seem as angry. That's what I loved about the rough skull sculpt ... he just looked like a lovable harmless Muppet or Banana Splits member.

I think another key to the chin is to make sure that the hair follows the direction of the jawbone surface and doesn't hang down too much. It really seems, in all 3 original movies, that the hair under the chin follows the undercut quite a bit.

I have to confess, I'm getting disturbingly obsessed with this costume. It's actually keeping me up all night, tossing and turning at 3AM while I brainstorm and can't sleep. It's friggin' crazy! I think like all of you who have heard the call of the wookiee, it's like the Mount Rushmore of costumes. I can't imagine ever wanting to do anything else again.
Erjediik ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember you starting the brainstorming over beverages at the last SMF, and to see even this much progress is inspiring! Yeah, You'll be done in time, you're insane like that!!
It's always a hoot to see you scheming the work!
Thanks for sharing rock
duck

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I forgot to say how much I appreciate all the info you amassed for your wookiee resources site. It has been invaluable and if my Chewie is even half-way decent, I will owe a huge amount of credit to you and a few others who came before me. It's much easier to slug through this in 2008 with all the info we have now thanks to people like you than how blindly you guys were flying 5 and 6 years ago. So, thanks.
duck

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Erik. And yup, I am insane.

So here's a silly little test I did. I did a photo test and drew in the silhouette I'm hoping to accomplish, just to see what I may look like. I didn't add any bulk at all to my frame, only drawing in hanging hair, coming straight down from my body. These were at my buddy Greg's house ... for a height comparison, keep in mind, he's 6'2":

So I learned a few things. One, I still may have to bring the head down even further, even though the skull looked fine to Greg and I after we scrutinized it compared to tons of reference pics. I'm reluctant to loose any height at this point, since I'm only 7'2" in costume, but I don't wanna look dopey with a huge head. The silhouette looks fine in the first 2 pics, but in the 3rd one, where I'm looking down a bit, the head looks stupid huge. I don't know why that is.

Also, I'm going to add that shin and shoulder 1" foam padding I have been considering. Not much, just a bit to bulk up a bit, maybe offset how huge the head looks.

The other thing is I have to keep a close eye on how the hair is going. My original plan was to keep the hair extremely light, meaning much less hair attached each knot, because when you look at Chewie pics, he actually is very, very skinny and has twig arms and legs, but the long hair strands kinda create this illusion of a bigger guy. I just didn't want to get half way up a leg and see that it's too big for Chewie and looks more like the wookiee warriors from Ep. 3. That said, by just photoshopping in an outline on my pics without adding any bulk to my dimensions, it may be a bit too skinny, and my undersuit is already sewn and dyed and I love the fit. So I guess I'll experiment and have a few more strands of hair in each knot than I intended. Also, it would be wise to go a bit heavy and then thin it out as needed with thinning shears.
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is late, but Totally Ron Perlman!!
you could use that as a basis for a Hellboy mask lol!
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not be afraid to add a bigger more button nose... you will be suprised how much of the nose gets hidden by the hair.

My first clay attempt my nostrils where hidden by the hair. Just 2 cents

Bob

Last edited by SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn) on Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob told me that he brushed in silicone-based adhesive (specially designed for DragonSkin by SmoothOn) to keep the hair flush against the skin. Also, the Elsey's told Darren that they used a single hair punched cross ways to hold down the hair in certain places.

Furthermore, the direction that you punch the hair in will help it's direction as well. Same thing if you are making a latex mask and laying hair on with glue as I did with my first mask.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GotWookiee wrote:
Bob told me that he brushed in silicone-based adhesive (specially designed for DragonSkin by SmoothOn) to keep the hair flush against the skin.

Yeah for the inside of the mask after you punch the hair.... it really does not help much for holding the hair down though on the outside of the mask. I used thin layers of hair spray for that... although I am sure Sil poxy would work if you needed it too.

Bob
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I thought you had brushed it into the hair on the outiside.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: