About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3c8a6f69d4ba9ed89d3617a20e264ebaMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Help! I'm a noobie...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eskyle (Andrew)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:05 am    Post subject: Help! I'm a noobie... Reply with quote

Help please!?
I would love to join the RL as a generic Jedi, but, I'm on a rather small budget of $200 at the moment.
I know, thats barely enought to get tunic/ robes etc. But thats all I have.
Is there anyone who can help me find deals, older used items?
I currently have absolutely nothing but a vision, so, any and all help will be GREATLY appreciated.
I'm not asking for handouts, just help.
Anyone?
Zurath Kodul (Tim Thompson)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shot you a PM Wink

what base are you in, BTW?
eskyle (Andrew)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, deflected it back at you.
Ill be in Freedom Base whenever I can join.
Jedi-J

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look in the for sale/trade section...maybe you can find some stuff there? Wink
eskyle (Andrew)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi-J wrote:
Look in the for sale/trade section...maybe you can find some stuff there? Wink

I can't.
I have to be a Legion Member.
And I'm not...
yet, sadly.
They should have a forsell section available to forum users, lol.
That would maybe help out alot.
eskyle (Andrew)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generic Jedi
Required Items:
1 Outer Tunic/Jacket-- Where can I get this done cheaply? Or can someone do it for me cheaply?
2 Utility Belt-- same as above
3 High Boots (above ankle)-- I have, black, about 1/4 the way between knee and ankle
4 Lightsaber (no toys)--Where can I get one, under $75? Random sabers was perfect, but there closed up for another year.
5 Pants or skirt--what kind??
No loud colors like pink or neon green. Natural colors like brown, black, grey, white, green, blue, and red are fine.

What would be the 3 most cheapest items to go with here?
Formal Requirements:
You must have at least three items from the list to be formal.
1 Robe or Cape (Recommended)
2 Pouches
3 D-Ring clip
4 Vest or tabards
5 Obi/Sash
6 Belt tools-- droid caller, battery packs, etc.
7 Blaster with holster

Please, and thank you, for any and all help you can give me.
I never realized how thoughtful people could be, you have all already been such a big help!!
Charybdis (Al d L.)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew, I was faced with the same dilemma back a couple of years ago when I decided to join the RL and wanted to do a jedi.

First things first, use your money to get yourself the complete tunic set consisting of outer tunic, tabards and obi. If it includes an undertunic, then all the better. This is the basis for your jedi costume so I say you should start there.

Go to ebay, there are always some decent sellers of tunic sets there and they do custom work to size it especially for you.

Once you have the tunic set, you just get regular pants, use your boots for now and then turn your attention to a saber/belt, etc...

Just go from there and keep saving that cash!

RL member since 2006
Blue Ridge Base member
Nexus Temple - member
Docking Bay 94 - member
eskyle (Andrew)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, thats what i was startin to figure thats what i'm gonna have to do...
well, thanks for the suggestions!
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the lightsaber, you can get one for right around $80 or so with shipping and handling on E-bay. You have to look pretty hard for it and there's only a few left but MR made some build it yourself kits...not too bad for a first saber, which I have. You mix and match the hilt pieces so you can have a face characters saber design or your own. It lights up, makes sounds, but since the pieces slide on, they do feel a little loose in your hands. If you decide you like a certain style though, you could just epoxy it all together.
But I would hold off on the saber as Charybdis suggested get your outfit together first. If you can sew, you can save yourself some money. If you can sew and need a pattern, PM me.
I think it ran me about $80 to get all my material...although from what I'm reading about the robe, I don't have quite enough material, so I need to pick up a few more yards of that fabric. So, for the tunic inner and outer, obi and tabard, we'll say it was about $60 for the materials.
eskyle (Andrew)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats just it though, I have no sewing abilities, nor manufacture abilites.
I gotta get it premade.
I want to build my own saber eventually, like a true jedi, but, first i wanna get a decent one that dosent cost to much, so that i can actually join.
I've always dreamed of joining, lol
well, that is, sense i first of the 501st.
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I did that too with my light saber, I'm in the process of doing some tests to determine how I want to build my blade. Then I'll put the hilt together, but in the mean time I picked up one that lights up and makes sound.
I know there are a number of talented tailors on here that do commission work, but I don't know what they charge.
I would offer my services but I'm not that talented and honestly it would take me too long to want to do this for someone else. Seeing as I haven't put the finishing touches on my outfit or started my robe, heh.
But I'm hoping to have it finished enough to submit in September...I should probably set an actual date, cause deadlines tend to help.
and I do wish that people who are not yet official members would have access to the trade channel so we could get items to finish off our costumes from members rather than wading through possible rip offs on Ebay
eskyle (Andrew)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, good luck
and I hope to join the ranks of the Rebel Legion soon.
ArkaiHalon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size do you wear?

As for the basis of jedi garb, I started with a karate gi. After some minor modifications, it worked out pretty well. Although I'm in the process of making better.

As for a lightsaber, shoot me a pm and we can work something out.
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to try and hijick this thread (all great suggestions on places to find stuff), but have you read this thread? I would highly recommend it. I've learned there's pretty much two way to do costuming in any timely fashion: expensively, or yourself (and in some cases, both). I send you this reading because it might inspire you to try a few things yourself to save some money but still get it done. Lately I've been doing projects I've never dreamed I could: start small and build up... I started by dremmeling a few things and teaching myself to sew, progressed to assembling armor kits, and eventually I installed laminate flooring in a whole room myself and am making armor from trash cans Wink With each project, you gain some confidence. For example: you could make a lighsaber hilt with just a few dollars worth of materials picked up at a hardware store, and if you mess up no big deal because it's cheap stuff... I started as a costumer with not a lot of money and no particualr skills with tools or textiles to speak of, but poverty is a great motivator to try and you just have to develop some confidence by experimenting.

Just some food for thought for you! Good luck!

Dantooine Base: Keeping flyover country Imperial-free since 2007
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
eskyle (Andrew)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, eventually, I do want to create my own saber and all.
but, its just...
idk, I want my first saber, to be something worthy of SW.
you know?
after I have a starting one, yeah, ill save money, and get all the tools needed, and create my own, but, the first, i want it be good, lol. not something i can do.

Thank you though, like i said, any and all help is welcome!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: