About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=63c56cedef7c63c20aea577c5a566571Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Obi
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bryanakin (Bryan Nguyen)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil - I think Lori's main point is that you have to consider the end person's interests when giving advice.

And I'd have to agree that a 4" leather belt on a man would be much too wide.

uberjedi wrote:
About how wide an obi would you guys suggest for a female on the taller side? I'm 5'10" and unsure how wide mine should be, I'm small waisted so something too wide might look weird, but at the same time I don't want it to look to small because I'm tall.

Thanks all!

Keep in mind that even if the obi is a bit wide, you want to "scrunch" it down so it gets that wrinkled look. The first time the obis were worn flat and wide was by Qui-Gon in EP I. They didn't like the way it looked.

Qui-Gon -
http://www.padawansguide.com/quigon/jinn2.jpg?

Padawan Anakin's obi in TPM -

http://www.padawansguide.com/fidm/maggie/ani1.jpg?

In EP II, Trisha made the obis more or less the same way, but the actors scrunched them down. In EP III, she sewed permanent scrunches into them.

Anakin Skywalker EP 2, CW, and EP3
www.myspace.com/bryanakin
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jauhzmynn ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exalted_1 wrote:
you also have to pay attention to material and HOW you want it to settle.

Fabric-

remember to make it a bit wider than normal if the material is thiner or is more likely to bunch up like this

you almost need to make it double the end width.

on the other hand, in the case of an obi made of more rigid material or that is reinforced with interfacing you need to be more precise:

bad photography aside, you can see how depending on how you want it to wear based on the materials used you can create different effects.

just keep in mind the width of your belt and how much of the obi you want to show when measuring and you'll do fine. Smile

may the force be with you! Ben

Great pics.
Jedi Po, your bunchy brown obi looks great, and you had an excellent point on fabric types and interfacing.

The hip and rib cage digging thing, I can attest to that. Fabric cna be uncomfortable.

Maybe Ben's suggestion of interfacing on the front of the obi not has much at it's side and a some at it's back, depending on how you want to fasten it.(Ties or velcro, ettc.)

BurnttheMacaroni, how do you install boning into your obi? And what materials do you use for the boning?
qui-gon32

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went to make the obi and tabbards for my Qui-Gon for CIII I eyeballed it off the action figure and watching EP1 because at the time I had no internet to look at proper resources. Now being with the RL one year this month, I've seen that my original measurements were nearly dead on. After sewing up the tunics and such from the Simplicity pattern, I still had to go back to my original tabbards to get the width right because the ones given with the pattern looked terrible for Qui Gon. I also had to lengthen the tunic itself. The only tweaking it needs now is some light thickening and scrunching of the obi and a material switch to raw silk. Ultimately I want to get my poncho done as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: