About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=82e577bf75e9e10b57da974d678c1b84Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Obi
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Obi Reply with quote

So random question: for a new republic Jedi how wide does the Obi need to be? I am barely over 5 ft and when I tried on what I finished using the same width as some of you gentlemen that I know it comepletely covered the majority of my torso - and had funny gaps at my waist. I tried folding it over (and hiding the shorter folded part under the longer one (on the inside)) and found a width that didn't gap (with the help of the extra bulk in the fold) and didn't look like it was eating me - but it is barely wider than my belt. Would that work or do I need to find a way to make it a bit wider and put in some tucks to get rid of the gapping?
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 5'4" and usually make the Obi 5" wide... that way it shows under my 3" belt... but I'm Old Republic, so I don't know if that helps or not...
Aurabesh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how wide your belt is. On average most belts are 3-4 inches wide, so your obi should be about 2-3 inches bigger on each side.

But if this still swallows you; then play around until you find something that works. Jusr remember to keep the width the same on both sides of the belt.
Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool thanks I think I can get that to work. Smile
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you get "on average most belts are 3-4 inches wide"? Are you kidding? Who has a 4" belt? That's way too wide! Shocked And it would be uncomfortable.

From what I've seen over the last 6 years, the average is more around 2.5".

I've made some for women that are 2" wide, it's a better proportion for some of us.

If you're short waisted, like sounds you might be, I'd say, go with a narrower belt, just make sure the smaller strap is also narrower to keep the proper proportions, and try to have your obi about 2" wider, so 1" will show above and below.

The same size does not fit all body shapes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lori,

Why are you getting in such a tissy over this, I put down the wrong size. This is not the end of the world. And FYI the standards do not dictate how wide the belt hast to be.

You are right, most of them are about 2", but please this is no reason to freak out. You might not have meant it, but thats how your post read to me.
Anakinos (Thad Laskowski)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurabesh wrote:
Lori,

Why are you getting in such a tissy over this, I put down the wrong size. This is not the end of the world. And FYI the standards do not dictate how wide the belt hast to be.

You are right, most of them are about 2", but please this is no reason to freak out. You might not have meant it, but thats how your post read to me.

Same here thats how i took it as well.

Jauhzmynn ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Padme',
I'm short too, barely 5'. I use an obi that's 4" wide not counting the seam allowance, and a 2" wide belt and it looks very good. I think this scale will work good.

If your belt's larger peice is 2inches wide, the narrower peice can be 1/2-3/4" wide and you're sitting excellent.

If your hips and waist are super clsoe togetherlike 2 inches apart(like mine), it's aggrivaiting when fabric or leather bits pinch. I got around that by narrowing the obi width to maybe 3inches on each side that'd be going around you, then expanding to the 4inch width. It's possible your belt may cover it almost completely in that area, but that's fine. We're looking for comfort more than anything and keeping it to scale with a smaller body.

If you want, send me a PM with the hip to waist distance and around emasurments and I can engineer an obi design you cna try.
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you're giving someone advice like this, Neil, you should try to get your measurements more accurate. There's no way a short waisted woman would be comfortable with a 3 or 4" wide belt and a 6" obi. Maybe you don't understand the physiological aspects of this, being male, with a proportionaly longer torso. Too wide of a belt would be digging into her hip bones, and her ribs.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 or 4 inch belts are more Imperial Knight size, as opposed to the jedi size. While people can pick whatever size they want(look at Corellians... ours are about an inch) too big might look silly

I dont think Lori was freaking out... She was just trying to correct the information so those who choose to make a Jedi costume in the future will have accurate advice.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
uberjedi ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About how wide an obi would you guys suggest for a female on the taller side? I'm 5'10" and unsure how wide mine should be, I'm small waisted so something too wide might look weird, but at the same time I don't want it to look to small because I'm tall.

Thanks all!

Aurabesh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Loreen Shadowchaser wrote:
When you're giving someone advice like this, Neil, you should try to get your measurements more accurate. There's no way a short waisted woman would be comfortable with a 3 or 4" wide belt and a 6" obi. Maybe you don't understand the physiological aspects of this, being male, with a proportionaly longer torso. Too wide of a belt would be digging into her hip bones, and her ribs.

Just wondering here, but since the belt and obi are worn over the stomach, how exactly would it be digging into your hip bones?

Yes I agree that a short waisted person would be swallowed by that kind of belt/obi.
Aurabesh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uberjedi wrote:
About how wide an obi would you guys suggest for a female on the taller side? I'm 5'10" and unsure how wide mine should be, I'm small waisted so something too wide might look weird, but at the same time I don't want it to look to small because I'm tall.

Thanks all!

I would suggest Kat that you kinda do it by eye. But I would think that 4" minimum would work.
BurntTheMacaroni (Ashley Byram)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurabesh wrote:

Just wondering here, but since the belt and obi are worn over the stomach, how exactly would it be digging into your hip bones?

Girls are shaped differently then boys. Our waist falls mere inches before our hip bones... So, our "Stomach" is more considered to be our waist.... therefor, you get the dig.
I have to put boning into my obi because im so curvy, my obi will roll and look awkward

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tash_Verano (Mark Seymour)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you also have to pay attention to material and HOW you want it to settle.

Fabric-

remember to make it a bit wider than normal if the material is thiner or is more likely to bunch up like this

you almost need to make it double the end width.

on the other hand, in the case of an obi made of more rigid material or that is reinforced with interfacing you need to be more precise:

bad photography aside, you can see how depending on how you want it to wear based on the materials used you can create different effects.

just keep in mind the width of your belt and how much of the obi you want to show when measuring and you'll do fine. Smile

may the force be with you! Ben
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: