About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b8d948f895b44f0f044e234d4ada6e37Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Tutorial for a Undertunic - UPDATED 1/7/08

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject: Tutorial for a Undertunic - UPDATED 1/7/08 Reply with quote

I was making a new undershirt, so I documented the process... this is a quick and easy way to create an undertunic...

http://grannys-costumes.blogspot.com/2008/01/how-to-make-jedi-undertunic.html

UPDATE: I just read somewhere on this forum that tutorials should not be posted until they are approved by the LCJ or LMO, so I've submitted this for approval. So in the meantime, I am posting this with an "AS YET UNAPPROVED" disclaimer.

UPDATE 1/7/08: I've moved the tutorial page from Fotki to Blogger. Twice now when I've tried to edit on Fotki, I've been re-directed to a page trying to sell me spyware, which tells me that Fotki is USING spyware. I've deleted everything from there and moved it to Blogger, which I've used for two years without problems.

I hope no one experienced any spyware problems because of this!

I know there are people here who will say they've used Forki for X number of months without problems.... well, I don't want to hear it! It's happened twice on Fotki and never on any other sites I visit, so it is not a coincidence! My laptop is my lifeline to the outside world and I won't risk it on questionable sites!

Now I have go run spyware doctor again, just in case....

Last edited by Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon) on Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:57 am; edited 6 times in total
Anakinos (Thad Laskowski)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for posting that. Im sure some people were looking around for that. I know thats how my buddy lance does his obi ep III undertunic. I was thinking of doing that as well for my custom jedi one as well. Tanks for posting it. Much appreciated.

Thad

Alurian Vos (Becki)
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did something similar to this, and it works great , although I didn't make the false front long enough and it hits right across the chest (don't needed added bulk there either). I did mine without a guide, but this looks very helpful, thanks!
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tutorials can be posted, just not to the actual Costuming Resources section until they are LCR approved.
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GotWookiee wrote:
Tutorials can be posted, just not to the actual Costuming Resources section until they are LCR approved.

Thanks, I submitted it over there for approval.
Jaxani Skywalker ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great! I did something similar too! Great job on the tutorial..
Bryanakin (Bryan Nguyen)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main advantage I like about the dickie "cheat" version of the inner tunic is it keeps the collar up and closed much better than its "real" inner tunic alternative. And if only the collar and sleeves of the inner tunic are exposed, who would know if your inner tunic is the "cheat" version of the "real" version?

Anakin Skywalker EP 2, CW, and EP3
www.myspace.com/bryanakin
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryanakin wrote:
The main advantage I like about the dickie "cheat" version of the inner tunic is it keeps the collar up and closed much better than its "real" inner tunic alternative. And if only the collar and sleeves of the inner tunic are exposed, who would know if your inner tunic is the "cheat" version of the "real" version?

EXACTLY! It's the only way I can get a decent collar to show! And without being overloaded in the undershirt department....lol
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally found a source for BROWN gauze! www.syfabrics.com and their service is awesome.

However, it's pretty thin.... great for sleeves but the collar will have to be double layered or lined... I'm thinking a layer of gauze over a layer of lining fabric.

I'll post pictures after I try one out.
Kryy Jacobi (Karyn W)
Bespin Base XO
Bespin Base XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make my undertunics from the gauze, and I do two layers (well, four with it folded over) for the neckband and then hand sew a discreet running stitch on the underside near the fold so the inner layer won't scrunch up in the wash. I've tried lining and interfacing, but the gauze is so stretchy that it's not very compatible with other fabrics.

BTW, stay-stitching before sewing seams (especially on the diagonal front and arm caps) is a MUST!

Hancock's had a nice selection of the gauze but they only have the sand/tan online now. I bought some yardage of the caramel a few weeks ago and have now decided I need another undertunic for Dragon*Con! (Nothing like last minute projects.... Rolling Eyes)

By the way, I keep my undertunic criss-cross neat and tidy by pinning it in place to my bra. The pins don't show under the tunic and tabards.

Sorry guys, that won't work for you, but then you don't have the "issue" that causes the tunic to "gap" badly. Wink
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do suggest pinning the collar to the undershirt, but I pin to my bra, too... I was thinking that sewing a layer of gauze and a layer of lining fabric at the same time it would keep the collar from stretching.

I'll post back after I try it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: