About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2d58079f12fdde43890fe08afddeabddMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ok here they are; Museum Replica Star Wars costumes
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Ok here they are; Museum Replica Star Wars costumes Reply with quote

http://www.rebelscum.com/SDCC08/MuseumReplicas/

These will also be on display at Dcon. I like thre Luke and Obi-Wan seems alright but the Anakin looks way off. Now keep in mind these are not made fromt he exact fabrics as the films as so they can produce them at less cost and gain profit from them so there is a middle mark on the quality.

my better half has an Arwen gown from them which looks stunning so I know this stuff will do alright, but I also don't know about the cost yet. Items can be bought seperately or as a whole piece.

Ok ready set...
Pick apart GO.

'Just because I don't like to fight. Doesn't mean I can't'

'They can be a great people Kal-El they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way'

'JASON' Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
padme911 (Becca K)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you that the LCJ team is well aware of these and has been tracking and critique-ing them closely. All of the costumes are nowhere near ready for RL approval. I heard these are the prototypes and to expect slightly different product(aka the actual items will be lower quality) and the cost for a complete ROTS Anakin or OBK was $1400 including everything which again is very high.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Luke looks terrible with that brown belt and pouch. That's what they look like now, because the dye is worn off and faded, but it's black in the movie. I guess that's what happens when you use the 30 yr old costume for reference.

The D-ring also looks too big, in relation to the saber hook that looks a bit too small, and they don't look silver, they look sort of bronze/brass colored.

Our Base Membership Officer, who saw the prototype costumes at SDCC, said the colors were a bit off and the fabric was also thin.

I'm not an expert at any of these costumes, but since I've made a Luke RoTJ belt for someone's costume, so I did study that part pretty intensely.

You may see a review from those that saw these in person this weekend, before you get to see them at D*C.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Royal costumes are OK, but they need corrections to be closer to accurate. I don't think any of them are fantastic. And if they are billing these a "we have access to the vaults" and they are the high end replicas, then they didn't take very good notes, there are issues with fabric choices, colors, and detailing, and for the price they want, they should be closer match. For example:

The repo has brown, green, beige, mauve, turquoise yet the original has black, gray gold, turquoise.

The disclaimer says the final colors may change, I hope that is *will* change. They copied the design, and then it looks like they used surplus thread that was lying around to do the design and made no effort to match the colors.

They also don't seem to understand the difference between crushed and smoth velvet, on both the Packing Gown and the Battle Handmadien (which has crushed velvet pants and not pants matching the coat). The Battle Handmadien has incorrect buckle, the jacket also has some issues on the details and placment of the gold trim

Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At $1400 a pop I can't wait to see who will buy them. Rubies was able to do pretty well selling there Vader and Chewie suits at half those prices, but those are rock star costumes with a lot of wow factor. I have a hard time believing that your average Halloween weekend warrior is going to shell out that much for an Imperial Officer, Luke Skywalker, or Padme.

Those of us who do spend that much on costumes will invariably do it ourselves and end up with a better result for less money.

Just a few months ago in interviews they were claiming that the suits were going to sell for around $400.
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow yeah lots of things that don't look quite right if that's the price no way am I gonna pay for that, maybe if I need a pair of Jedi boots or a robe though

'Just because I don't like to fight. Doesn't mean I can't'

'They can be a great people Kal-El they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way'

'JASON' Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aysel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats just the thing, you buy a piece and then fix it, I've done that with ren stuff I've bought from them before, also their sizing is a bit off (tending to run on the big side) so if your small you'll probably need to take whatever you get from them in, (dresses especially) but yea from those pics, their items still need a lot of work...and whoever stated that it would be better just to make it yourself is true..you also get more satisfaction from making it yourself then in buying the item ready made.

qualifying statement: I've only bought ren fair stuff from them. I have not, to date, gotten any of their movie replica items so my statement above is solely based on those items.

501st Flagship Eclipse Costume Mentor
Kashyyyk Base Commanding Officer 2012/2013
Kashyyyk Base Membership Officer 2013/2014
Aurabesh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$1400 for the Anakin is insane. You can put one together using all of the screen accurate parts and pieces, and still have some coin left over.

Unless they do some series re-working of these I would not be able to recommend them to anyone.
_Master_Skywalker_ ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Loreen Shadowchaser wrote:
I think the Luke looks terrible with that brown belt and pouch. That's what they look like now, because the dye is worn off and faded, but it's black in the movie. I guess that's what happens when you use the 30 yr old costume for reference.

The D-ring also looks too big, in relation to the saber hook that looks a bit too small, and they don't look silver, they look sort of bronze/brass colored.

Our Base Membership Officer, who saw the prototype costumes at SDCC, said the colors were a bit off and the fabric was also thin.

I'm not an expert at any of these costumes, but since I've made a Luke RoTJ belt for someone's costume, so I did study that part pretty intensely.

You may see a review from those that saw these in person this weekend, before you get to see them at D*C.

I have to agree with a lot of what you say. I don't however think it looks terrible Confused It's pretty good, but yes, you are right, there are a number of things wrong with it. Colours especially !! The brown belt. Even the 30 yo one wasn't brown, it was blackish wearing through to brown. The ring, hook are the wrong colours too. The tabards are WAY too thin in width & also they should be slightly longer than the tunic.

Also, they should be a seperate piece & hang independantly of the tunic, these don't look like that. I agree, not RL approvable, but not that bad if it were cheaper, see,s like it's quite expensive however.

I like the look of the tunic material though, it'd be a good start to make your own *lol* I'd use a shade or two darker though, although that might look lighter due to the flash Wink

skoe (Eric Skoglund)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking about the "Obi"...well...

1. Colors: wrong.
2. Fabrics: wrong.
3. Robe: too short.
4. Boots: wrong shape and terrible closing system (If nowadays I almost take one hour to get into my costume, just imagine with this!!!)
5. Accesories / Belt, pouches and capsules: just terrible (Ok, I know they are just prototypes, but come on!!!)

Well, I guess that's why "we" exist isn't it. We all have more experience in costuming than anyone else right now, and the difference between ours and this charade, is to say the least, infinite.

Sorry.

Wolfie (Crystal Bass)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol there is a similar thing going on in the 501st now with Rubies' new "supreme stormtrooper costume" for 1000 dollars. Its ugly as sin, and people are pushing it at Comic Con as "good as the 501st and cheaper than th 5000-6000 they spend" seriously? I think all together, ALL of my costumes have been under 5000 total. the most being Boba Fett, and I probably have 1400 in it? maybe even less than that. probably closer to 1200. and its got electronic bits in it in several places.

It may end up being a bad time the next year or so for costume judges/BMO/Garrison Membership folk lol. Though I couldnt imagine people buying some of this stuff. But if MR is trying to push theirs as good enough for access the way Rubies seems to... you might get people with the $$ and the too lazy to research gene buying this stuff Sad
Aurabesh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$5000-$6000 for armor? What are they smoking? Even if you super pimp Vader, it won't cost that much.

They are obviously pushing this stuff on people who donot know any better.
Ysrossko (Joseph Roa)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to see these costumes first hand and they are OK. I didn't get the price from them, but if that is the cost then they are nuts. The fabric on the Obi-Wan was way too thin IMO and the fabric didn't look right as well. The Luke was OK, but the vest Matt (JedHed) wore looks 20x better and I am sure it cost him ALOT less. I know Bryan and Chris said they spoke with them about some of the accuracy issues and the guys at the booth said they were 80% percent complete. They were going to look at the archives again and tweak stuff. I think the one rep said they planned to release them in October.
Aurabesh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say it, but both the Anakin and Obi-Wan need more then 20% more work. That Obi was really bad looking, and the Anakin was not much better. You can tell just from the pics that the fabric being used is way too light weight.
Ysrossko (Joseph Roa)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did almost chuckle when the guy told me that. I am by no means an expert on these costumes, but have been around enough good ones to know these weren't really that close.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: