About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=13de02b1f211662ff95afac3983cae36Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

RFT Helmets - visor down option
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhi-don Aquintas (Donald Trim)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeff;

Since our base did the RFT project several years ago, we did a lot of research. We looked at a whole bunch of photos. Conclusion: Film emulsion changes colors. If you look closely at the throne room scene pics....with the visor down, they are almost black...at best very dark smoked grey. In some scenes they look lighter because of the film. The same applies to the helmets. We did a lot of looking for the correct color. Conclusion: The helmets are light dove grey. If you compare them to the walls or stormtrooper armor you can see it. It makes good sense as well. Since this is supposed to be a space navy uniform, they used naval colors. Grey pants, navy light blue shirts, black vests. Since the talker helmets they are based on were dove grey, they must have decided to use that color to make them more visable. The film emulsion makes them look different colors. It also makes the pants and shirts look almost the same color in some pics. They are not. Anyway we decided to use Grey for our helmets. Some people insist they are white. It's thier call.

Somebody in England who actually saw one said they were grey.

As long as we get to do these at all, that's what counts most.
Jedi Assembly
Jedi Knights [of Orange County]
Zen Solo ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be up for one of these modifications for sure if he decides to do a run. I've been very happy with my helmet so far, and a flip down visor would make me even more happy! Mr. Green

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check with Jim and see. You will actually need 2 visors since you really can't reverse it and use the tinted one above. I still havent' found a way to make that work and look right.
Jedi Assembly
fleet_trooper ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: RFT Reply with quote

Sounds pretty cool!
JimE2 ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original helmets were done either as a visor up, or visor down helmet, and were not really 'convertible' in a practical sense. If the tinted visor was in the 'up' position, it had to be unscrewed and then remounted in the 'down' position. A retractable visor is not possible as the thing has to rotate 180 degrees. I can't seem to figure out a way for the two to look right at the same time.

As for folks wanting a smoke gray acrylic visors for your helmets, you can email me at jegner@tk560.com and I can give you all the details. I'm not doing any sort of run of these, as I have found these are tricky to get right, but if you need some, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks

Jim
www.tk560.com
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim..... Cool
Jedi Assembly
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Obey Wann"]Personally, I think this is best. Why? Like with the 501st, there is power in anonymity. ......

- I got my first "faceless" character last year --a Tusken. Wow, what a difference. People treat you differently. Something about not being able to see the eyes, methinks. And you can have fun scaring the crap out of people. Evil or Very Mad Cool Lots of fun.
.........quote]
You got it! I am 501st and I get a TOTALLY different reaction in my TI gear than I do in my off-duty pilot (ROTJ Hanger scene). When we are out doing public events people slow down and pull in just to see what we are, otherwise when I am on banner duty at a parking lot people smile and wave.

i LOVE to casually walk up into a group from behind when they are interacting with the group. I just stand there...and let things happen Very Happy
I also love the flipped visor, I am pretty light sensitive and not having my sunglasses is a killer outside.
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm....
I could go either way on the visor...
will have to think about it...

Very Happy

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Luke Warmwater (Clark Oliver)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zhi-don Aquintas wrote:
We did a lot of looking for the correct color. Conclusion: The helmets are light dove grey. If you compare them to the walls or stormtrooper armor you can see it.

I concur, although since all of us have white helmets that the odd grey one is going to get a "WTF" reaction. It would have to be a Legion-wide change.

The ATAT driver's helmet and armor are also dove grey but all the 501st ATAT drivers have white armor, because that's the way it looks.
Downtown (Joe Brown)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke Warmwater wrote:
Zhi-don Aquintas wrote:
We did a lot of looking for the correct color. Conclusion: The helmets are light dove grey. If you compare them to the walls or stormtrooper armor you can see it.

I concur, although since all of us have white helmets that the odd grey one is going to get a "WTF" reaction. It would have to be a Legion-wide change.

The ATAT driver's helmet and armor are also dove grey but all the 501st ATAT drivers have white armor, because that's the way it looks.

Jeeze...nobody get's it. They were painted "Grey" on screen to appear white to stop the glare.... if they did white you'd get a bad glare and the scene wouldn't look right. Simple film trick. Rolling Eyes
Ohio Garrison/Original Midwest Base
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope! Shocked

If that was true, then stormtrooper armor would be gray too. Since we have seen acutal screen used suits...they are not....they are WHITE! Also the walls on the ship are white, but you can tell the helmets are darker than the walls.

The helmets were painted grey to give the RFT uniform a recognizable "NAVY" look. The black vests are close in desgin to the life preservers of WWII. The helmets are made from US NAVY talker helmets. Which are....suprise....dove grey. The shirts are like the chambray naval type shirts, almost the right color...blue/grey instead of light denim blue. Anyway....it really doesn't matter. White or Grey are both considered canon.....so let's all give it a rest. We ARE the good guys after all and we are on the same team. Besides my Commander and XO will have my head on a platter if I continue to argue about this......*Ducks and runs away*

Pax Vobiscum
Jedi Assembly
Downtown (Joe Brown)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow....we even have elitists here in the RL. Rolling Eyes

The only reason the Navy paints things grey is to sorta blend in with the water a little and to stop rust. If you look at the TK armor very closly, it's NOT pure white. Even the Snowtroopers weren't pure white. The RFT's are not the Navy grey at all.

There is no way I'm painting my helmet grey when I see it as white along with alot of people on here.
If that standard changes, I'm throwing out my helmet.[/url]
Ohio Garrison/Original Midwest Base
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense intended Joe.....

You are right though, TK armor is offwhite, not snow white. What our base did was to compare the white [offwhite] walls, the white [offwhite] stormtrooper armor against the RFT helmets....they were more grey to our eyes, plus we figured the RFT's wouldn't want to be mistaken for TK's if only the tops of thier heads were showing..... Wink

Again, we are all on the same team....... Mr. Green [/list]
Jedi Assembly
Luke Warmwater (Clark Oliver)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downtown wrote:
Jeeze...nobody get's it. They were painted "Grey" on screen to appear white to stop the glare.... if they did white you'd get a bad glare and the scene wouldn't look right. Simple film trick. Rolling Eyes

Zhi-don Aquintas wrote:
Nope! If that was true, then stormtrooper armor would be gray too. Since we have seen acutal screen used suits...they are not....they are WHITE!

I think he's got you there, Spooner.
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one has to repaint anything anyways. Donna, Phyllis and RAID have always held the opinion that either white or light (dove) grey is accurate and approvable.

They also recommend that all RFTs in any particular Base go with the same color scheme so no one sticks out. But not all Bases need to use the same color.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: