About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5ce9d5f0eb02bd0eb06f2553526fbf5fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Barris Cloak: Color vs Pattern

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Katsu Ma'roy ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Barris Cloak: Color vs Pattern Reply with quote

Howdy All!

I'm looking to make a "correct" SW costume (I have several, but I don't believe they conform to RL standards). I am making a Barris Offee for the opening of Clone Wars and have found material with the pattern very close to the original at an outlet shop. The problem? It's grey and black. It is 33% poly, so dyeing may be problematic. All the other blue/violet patterned fabric I've found are too regular, or paisley, etc.

So, how strict are the standards for admission? Should I risk using the animal/shibori grey, or use a "pretty" pattern blue that doesn't strike me as very "Jedi-ish"? My gut says that the grey/black would look better.

Also, has anyone used stretch Ottoman for her top? I found a great deal in black.

TIA,
Kat

(This may be moot after I test dye a swatch)
Agent Kenobi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

based on my own research, I believe that the original Barriss cloak material is a dark grey or black base with an iridescent grey pattern.

No "blue" or "purple" on the cloak.

http://www.alexandreleupin.com/albums/album91/Barris_Offee.jpg

Still working on the material bits for my daughter's Barriss. I'd love to see what you've found so far!
Darth Lars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agent Kenobi wrote:
No "blue" or "purple" on the cloak.

http://www.alexandreleupin.com/albums/album91/Barris_Offee.jpg

Then your computer monitor has dark settings.
I have always perceived this costume to be a very dark purple.

I analysed the color values in three images. The skirt and top are a very dark purple with no shift towards either red or blue.
The cloak's background color is a dark greying blue, with only a slight hint towards purple.
Katsu Ma'roy ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standards say blue to purple, though I also thought it was more of a smokey blue/black, too.

I've got a swatch, and will see how well it dyes.
jedibarriss ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I am not posting this too late but I just saw this thread.
have a Barriss costume and have become friends with Nalini who played the role. She has confirmed of the details of this costume with me. I am a stickler for detail as well and spent several months doing research on this and looking for the correct fabric.

This is my question to Nalini with whom I have become friends and we keep in touch via email etc.

Quote:
Cloak:color is dark navy blue with a pattern of lighter shade of blue or grey. The pattern is random. Cloak is long and almost touching the ground. NO sleeves in the cloak. Hood of cloak stands off from the sides of the face and folds under, resting on the shoulders.

Skirt: dark solid navy blue( midnight blue/black), form fitting to the hips and flaring out below the hips. Length of skirt is similar to the cloak.

Top: dark navy blue(midnightblue/black) with ribbing horizontal, hooded and drawn tightly at the neck. Sleeves are long to end of wrist.

Neck pieces: made of same material as the cloak. One serves to act like a 'turtle neck' piece. Second neck piece holds front of cloak together and sits at base of the front of the neck.

Boots: black..not sure of the height as it can't be seen!! Were the boots knee high or mid calf?

Nailpolish, tattooes and lipstick: black.

Is this correct?
Thank you!

This is her reply"

Quote:
Terry,

My apologies for not getting back to you sooner Smile

Yes everything seems correct however I dont think there was a neck piece, it was a high necked bodysuit I was wearing.

The skirt flairs more at the knee downwards...rather than the hips, but you might be best to look at my picture to get the exacts.

You gave a very good description of it Smile

Nel
xxx

To make the hood correctly I put some light weight foam on the sections that stays stiff from center skull to just below ear level. Make the foam about six -eight inches wide. Use some hand stitching in spots to hold it between the two layers of the hood. The hood is a double layer so cut it out that way.

The cloak does not have a lining. It is held together in the front with a section that , if you expand the photo of the front carefully and see it, snaps on each side kind of like a broach would. Wear a dark headband or hood under the cloak hood. Apply a wide band of velcro to the headband and to the hood to hold it in place. Make a false turtle neck to go around your neck out of the same fabric as the cloak.
Katsu Ma'roy ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jedibarriss wrote:
I hope I am not posting this too late but I just saw this thread.

Not too late...The fabric I had originally chosen doesn't dye well, so I've switched gears to a cotton duck "animal-ish" print that will be closer, and dye well, too.
Quote:

Top: dark navy blue(midnightblue/black) with ribbing horizontal, hooded and drawn tightly at the neck. Sleeves are long to end of wrist.
The closest ribbed fabric is stretch corduroy. I found a 80s pattern that is very close, and adding the "ruffle" at the knees will be a snap
To make the hood correctly I put some light weight foam on the sections that stays stiff from center skull to just below ear level.

Great Idea! I had planned on using plastic boning, but the thin foam will look a lot better. Thank you for taking the time to give me these pointers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: