About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a30c3d44ce346cedb45f6c605b4a1fd5Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Smuggler detachment?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB (JEFFREY BUHOLTZ)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GotWookiee wrote:
I think detachments are mostly about a group identity. They really don't have much in the way of formal responsibilities but are still fun for many.

I think the detachments should invest more time and energy into building on-line resources for their costumes, including tutorials, visual reference galleries, and fact pages like my Chewie page.

Detachments also know where to get the various parts for many costumes as well as which dealers are trustworthy and which ones should be avoided.

All the reasons that I want to see it happen.

Looks like there are enough smuggler charrectors in EU and all to add variety.

I say if it happens we call it SMUGGLERS ALLIANCE, and any Forum and or Web Site, Docking Bay 94

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While those are certainly reasonable points, Matt, you get all that from the various costume boards, anyway.

Not trying to sound negative, but at the same time, all this does is cause a person to have to peruse through, yet, another message board for information when it is easily found already on the main costume-specific boards. Again, more plumbing than what is absolutely necessary.

The Rebel Legion has done a great job of making its information easy to find. I think in some cases a little bit better than the 501st does. Don't get me wrong, the 501st has its main site and then each costume type has its own detachment. Which helps out the Imperial costumer really well.

I think the Rebel Legion does it a bit better by having it all at one site, as opposed to each detachment having their own site. But like I said, each costume type has its own catagory board, with individual character types having their own subsections.

To me, that is already plenty sufficient. I don't see the need to continue to add to it. Just as previously mentioned in someone else's post, what is the point to having these detachments other than the cool SWAG that they produce, and "group identity"? Isn't being a Rebel Legion costumer group identity enough?

Just my thoughts on the subject, offering a different perspective.

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
grey_starr (Daniel)
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto to Bills points... I prefer one sorce shopping... I'm having a hard enough time sorting through the craziness of the Squadrons... Neutral
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe in the K.I.S.S. system ( keep it simple stupid ). The more we split things up the harder it will be for people to navigate thru.

My 2 cents

Bob
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramys Strael wrote:

Isn't being a Rebel Legion costumer group identity enough?

- Bill

For some yes, Not for me.

Why should the Jedi, Aliens, Troopers and so on have all the fun Mad Razz

I want a smuggler Detachment Crying or Very sad
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Smuggler detachment? Reply with quote

Any way we can put this to a vote?

I am the basis for the World's Most Interesting Man commercials by Dos Equis.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to vote on the creation of a smuggler detachment. If someone decides to spearhead the creation of one they need to go through the usual channels and start a recruiting thread. If there is enough interest then there will be a detachment. If not, case closed.
Pete Solo ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Smuggler detachment? Reply with quote

Do we still want to do this?

I am the basis for the World's Most Interesting Man commercials by Dos Equis.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have to make an official interest thread here in the Fringe forum, and vote on it. I guess a poll. Then if there is enough interest, move on to the application process. How much interest validates a detachment though? Lets just go ahead and do an actual poll and see.

" In the costuming forum, in which your detachment would be formed, you may post an interest thread for the detachment. At this point, it is merely an interest thread to validate the formation of the detachment. Once you feel you have enough members to validate an detachment, you must file an Detachment application found here:

http://rebellegion.org/detach_app.php "

Then we need someone to follow through on it and lead. I would try and spearhead it, but I have no knowledge of building websites or graphic stuff.
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not so concerned about a website... those are easy to get. In fact I have a website that is paid thru till next year that is no longer being used. My thing is.. do we really need it?

Troopers, Jedi, and other people who have detatchments that are needed because there is so bloody many of them. Things like the Wookie detatchements are needed because of the mass amount of information needed to make the costume. Withought it, the costume is almost imposible to make. I mean there are not even that many active Fringe people... even fewier Han Solo's. Trust me I would think it would be fun and all, but is it needed or just a want thing.

If it is needed I am sure we can do it.... the web site I have is PHP driven, and would be purely for information only. In fact it would be almost exactly what we have here, but I do not see the point to it all to be honest. There are many other things we could do besides a detatchment to improve the RL and the Fringe. The biggest thing I think we should work on is the standards.

Bob
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOPS!!!! Sorry, I did not see the post above stating that there was no voting needed to do this. From reading elsewhere it seemed like that was the proper procedure.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
Troopers, Jedi, and other people who have detatchments that are needed because there is so bloody many of them. Things like the Wookie detatchements are needed because of the mass amount of information needed to make the costume. Withought it, the costume is almost imposible to make. I mean there are not even that many active Fringe people... even fewier Han Solo's. Trust me I would think it would be fun and all, but is it needed or just a want thing.

There are many other things we could do besides a detachment to improve the RL and the Fringe. The biggest thing I think we should work on is the standards.

Bob

The more I think of it the more I feel that it should not matter really how many of a certain type of costume there is to form a detachment. I see plenty of us listed really anyway.

Han Solo can seem just as difficult a costume to construct as Chewbacca to some. It did to me when I started. It took me quite a bit of time to get my costume to where it is today, to really know what was what. If what I know now was organized all in one spot with some kind of descriptions I would have been where I am at years ago maybe. If only there was a place with all the right information given by the people that wear the costumes that are registered and meet standards.

I agree, standards need to be worked on. In my mind the most important job of a detachment would be working on Standards. The way I see it organizing a detachment is how that really gets done and with more influence. I think that as an organized detachment we would have a better influence and say in what the official standards are.

A detachment is made up of those that obtain, create and wear the costumes, they know how to obtain materials, know the resources, know what works and does not work, knows what can be accomplished and then sets the standards, and continues to refine them as needed. I think that we could do a much better job at this as a detachment with a more organized place for information, then on this forum here where people have to sift through old posts or have to post the same questions.

If all of our collective knowledge is in one spot up front, people will be able to construct better smuggler costumes that conform to the set standards that we agree on as a detachment, in a shorter period of time. This will raise the quality level. If the standards are not right we as a detachment discuss them, come to a conclusion based on the best knowledge at hand and change them. I do not see any other way to get the Smugglers Costume Standards changed to the way we as the members that wear the costumes, think they should be.

If I as a member just simply post this is what the standard should be because I think so, then I do not think that would be very effective, but if we as a group did that and presented what needs to be changed accordingly, we would get things done.
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can agree with that... a detachment that would benifit costume standards... I am all for that. Who do you all think this detachment should be for then ? Charactor wise that is.

Bob
Jau Tok ()

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I'm still very new to this, I'm certainly interested to say the very least.
Lancer (Vincent Paul Formosa)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I agree with all of this to some degree. the big thing I've seen after lurking for a long time on forums like this, is how people don't always share sources for things,

either for reference material or locations to get things. this is partly why I posted links etc to where I got stuff from and what the prices were. that way, anyway starting a Han costume in future has a bit of a starting point to look at.

at the very least. characters ie chewie, han, mirax, karrde etc should have a sticky topic where people can post links to items.

ie greeblies, sidearms, belts, costumes, etc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: