About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c29ff92dbd36cffd575e1042b8f42933Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

RFT Belt Buckle shape?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taylor ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: RFT Belt Buckle shape? Reply with quote

Hey everyone! Very Happy I have a question about the RFT belt buckle design shapes, What is the shape you used for yours? the rectangle, oval, or the octagon?

Just wanted to know your personal prefrences! Wink
LizardJedi (Liz Hyde)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the octagon... but I do have on oval buckle I can sub in if I feel like it.

I'm sure now there will be people chiming in on how the rectangular buckle isn't right...

The opposite of War isn't Peace, its Creation
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was "decreed" that the rectangular buckle is visible in the screen shots and must be accepted.

Buckle shape depends mostly on what other people in your Base or perspective Base are doing. Sunrider went with octagonal because we were doing this as a group and wanted to look the same.

My personal preference is to have rectangular/octagonal for the troops and the oval for the officer outfit. But that is strictly a personal opinion and not part of the standards.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the rectangular because it fit the belt blank that I bought at the end of the last ren season. If I get industrious (IE: if I get more money and stop modding blasters) I might try and do the octagonal one. There will be a tandy booth at one of the ren faires I'll be working at in the fall, so I'll definitely see what he has in stock hehe.

Sgt. Rook, RFT
Squad Leader
Rishi Maze Runners-RAID

"Sure would be nice if we had some GRENADES!"
Taylor ()

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh! ok thanks guys! Wink
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey Jedi wrote:

Buckle shape depends mostly on what other people in your Base or perspective Base are doing. Sunrider went with octagonal because we were doing this as a group and wanted to look the same.

Since I made most of the belts for that Sunrider group project, I'm glad I had help with the buckles. I think I ended up making something like 16 belts and holsters. Shocked

The rectangular buckle is the easiest way to go, especially if you don't have the proper tools.

Making the octagonal buckle is more work that most people realize. It's more than just cutting off the corners of the rectangular blank, if you want the proper shape. You have to replace the hook and loop, since you end up cutting off the loop when you cut down the corners.

But it looks good when it's done. Cool

I always appreciate seeing the octagonal buckle on someone's belt. Happy that they made the effort to make it.
Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first buckle was octagonal ... but fake! It was just a piece of aluminum with a loop of elastic glued on. I slid this over the belt and had the belt fastened in the back, hidden under the jacket.

My current one is a functional hexagonal/oval one. It looks almost like a lemon...

Last edited by Darth Lars on Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
cyranodb (Mike)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh...I have an oval one. I suppose I could cut a rectangular one and make it 100% correct but I think the oval's good enough for now. Maybe I'll do it some other time.
Silverback (Richard Berry)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Loreen Shadowchaser wrote:

Making the octagonal buckle is more work that most people realize. It's more than just cutting off the corners of the rectangular blank, if you want the proper shape. You have to replace the hook and loop, since you end up cutting off the loop when you cut down the corners.

What or how do you attach the new hook and loop?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new hook and ring are attached using J-B Weld, it's a very hard two-part epoxy resin, for those that aren't familiar with it. I roughed up all the surfaces that would have the J-B Weld on it.

It's available at hardware stores, and even Walmart, in the automotive secion.

Unfortunately, I did not use enough, originally, and the back end where the ring is held popped open during a Troop. Embarassed I was able to sort of fake it for the rest of the day. (there's now a lot more on my buckle than you see in the pic in my above post)

So, you need to be generous with the stuff, especially on the ring end, just make sure you don't glue your ring down, it needs to be free. Razz

The new ring is also smaller, it's made for 1 1/2" or 1 3/4" belts, so I had to make notches in the loop of the belt where it was going to attach since I'm usint a 2" belt.

http://tandyleatherfactory.com/products.asp?number=1803-00

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is just the rectangular buckle blank for now, but someday I'd like to mod it to the octagonal like Jedi Loreen posted above.

Nicky "Doc_Bev" Blum
The Rebel Legion: Echo Base
501st Legion: Legion Events Coordinator
RAID - Fire Team Echo & KJO - Blumfruit Temple
Kevin Skoglund (Kevin Skoglund)
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or..................You could just do what i did . Use the smaller buckle as the base , and use the LARGER Tandy Buckle blank [ Clip the corners to make it the Proper Octagonal.....and cut off the knob thingy ] , then Jb Weld it onto the Base buckle face [Completely covering it ] . The Larger front buckle then becomes just Cosmetic . Cool
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smaller buckle blank is here:

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/products.asp?number=11687-00

Since I am short...and short waisted...that is all I used - the
narrower 1 3/4 buckle blank with a 1 3/4" belt blank...

If you use the belt loops....the 1 3/4" belt is goes through the loops a lot easier than a 2" belt blank...

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long are your boxes? They look too long and I don't think it's strickly proprotional to your narrower belt.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI here is the screenshot with rectangle:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: