About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5529cdcc35c076e79e8554aa7ff4b6c3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Tabbard
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurabesh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason,

Your plan sounds like a good one. You most def do not want your tab's hanging loose over your shoulders. They will never stay on that way. It is also a good idea to attach them to the obi (both in front and back). This will keep them from moving side to side.
Folard-Toz (Charles Foltz)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this must be "Jason Corner"! Sorry, just couldn't resist. Embarassed
If the obi is a fixed version that doesn't wrap around repeatedly like mine, then the button down idea is great. But I have found that once positioned under the obi they tend to hang without drifting to the sides. This is one reason that I opted to tack the two together front and back to make a single piece unit.
I would however reconsider the interfacing between the two layers in the tabbard. I found that if you wear a robe from time to time that wrinkles will develop at the shoulders in the interfacing. If you still wish to use an interfacing then make sure that it is very light weight and not the iron-on type. The edge stitching will hold it in place when the top and bottom halves are seamed together.
The best method I have tried, depending on the weight and flexibility of the fabric chosen, is just using the double thickness of the tabbard itself. When turned right side out the side seams tend to keep the shape of the tabbards at the shoulder, and no permanent creases form from being crushed by a robe.
Just a thought. Ben
Tash_Verano (Mark Seymour)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use heavy-duty(thick) sew-in interfacing for fabric tabbards and have never had a problem with wrinkles on the shoulders.

I will admit though they wear like football shoulder pads. so it depends on your sense of style.
Jay-gon Jinn (Jason Hetherington)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option besides velcro is to simply sew the tabbards to your tunic at the shoulders:

I also had them sewn to the tunic on the back as well, to ensure they hung right:

This was done to my Obi-wan inspired tunic as well:

It makes much easier to get dressed by yourself as well as keeping the tabbards from slipping off the shoulders and staying in place when you move.

Jason Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kryy Jacobi (Karyn W)
Bespin Base XO
Bespin Base XO

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My name's not Jason... can I play anyway? Laughing

Here's what I do:

Snap tape to attach tabards to waist at back (Obi-Wan style, stopping at waist).

Short strip of snap tape at shoulder seam... to about the middle of the tabard. In the Arena scene (AOTC) Mace's tabard pops up about there at mid-shoulder (about the time he swings his saber and kills Jango) so it shows it's not attached all the way across.

Snap tape to attach tabards to waist at front.

Bottom line, I attach my tabards to the tunic... the obi is separate. I am planning an alternate set of leather-look tabards for my khaki tunic (pseudo- Bultar Swan look) so my cloth tabards will unsnap and I'll replace them with the others but of course use the same cloth obi.

These are all workable ideas... it depends on what works best for you. But I think after a long day at a troop or a con, you'll want them attached to something in some way. At my first con last year, and wearing my first tunic, my tabards were not attached and they crawled all over the place and got most un-tidy by the day's end.

So on this second version, I tweaked my pattern a lot and have everything attached. It's a pain to place all of the snap tape when sewing the garment, but afterward it's much easier to get dressed and undressed. Now I save my tug of war for my boots and utility belt!

P.S. I don't use interfacing but I make a sort of shoulder pad out of the same material... just a single layer shoulder pad shape with the straight edge on the outside/shoulder side of the tabard. It gives a little "body" to the tabard shoulder so it doesn't droop and also gives an extra layer for sewing/stabilizing the snap tape so it doesn't show on the top layer.

I'm sure that's about as clear as mud!
Folard-Toz (Charles Foltz)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Exalted_1, that is a great spot for your tabbard pic! Where did you find such a classic backdrop?
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Kryy, that is a great idea! I never thought about connecting the entire tabbard to my tunic... I still prefer the buttons to hook it in the front and back, but it would be much easier with my choice of obi (the one that wraps around twice and ties in the front). Thank you for the idea!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folard-Toz wrote:
Hey Exalted_1, that is a great spot for your tabbard pic! Where did you find such a classic backdrop?

We were at the OSWCC summer social. the event was at a masonic temple.
Kryy Jacobi (Karyn W)
Bespin Base XO
Bespin Base XO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volund Starfire wrote:
Actually, Kryy, that is a great idea! I never thought about connecting the entire tabbard to my tunic... I still prefer the buttons to hook it in the front and back, but it would be much easier with my choice of obi (the one that wraps around twice and ties in the front). Thank you for the idea!

Glad to help. That's one of the things I like best about meeting other costumers... exchanging ideas.

Thanks for the kind words. Smile
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newest set of tabbards I have are velcrod at the shoulder and curve and are velcroed in the middle under the sash and then they have little snaps to keep them straight on the corners near the sash(it's for formal events where I don't have to do a lot of jumping around)

'Just because I don't like to fight. Doesn't mean I can't'

'They can be a great people Kal-El they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way'

'JASON' Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: