About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9e7e726962a2557dcdefd3ef230ee1a5Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Family/Non-family or Formal/Non-formal Events

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Terrapin Base -> Terrapin Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Family/Non-family or Formal/Non-formal Events Reply with quote

Okay… this topic was started in another thread and cause a WHOLE bunch of issues. After a protested was lodged about this issue being discussed on that particular thread, it was closed out and I decided to start it up again here.

BASICALLY the question I was trying to ask was what constitutes a “formal” vs. “informal” event.

For those who didn’t read the Geppi’s thread I was considering wearing a “Slave Leia” costume to the event. Some people chimed in and stated that the “Slave Leia” costume would not be appropriate for this event because it was a “Family Event”.

Now this lead into a whole discussion about ROTJ being considered a “family movie” and such and that lead into MORE drama… and lead to MORE people saying that this is a “formal” event and that the Slave Leia wouldn’t be appropriate.

So… because of all this, my question was never answered.

Family Events? Formal Events? Non-Family Events? Non-Formal Events?

Where’s the definition?!

What constitutes a Family/Formal or a Non-Family/Non-Formal event?

I mean what I was lead to believe by reading around the RL boards is that a “Formal” event is and event to where Cannon Characters from the movies should be portrayed in Cannon costumes from the movies. So if this is the case a “Slave Leia” costume could possibly be worn to ANY “Formal” Event…because she is a cannon character and her costume is a cannon costume.

Now I understand the whole “appropriate” issue comes up in certain events… but they said that Geppi’s was a “Museum” and a “Family Event” and that Slave Leia wouldn’t be appropriate. But wasn’t the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia a “Museum” and “Family Event”, and there were Slave Leia’s there…

So you can see where one could become confused. Now (as mentioned in the other thread) Sometimes the lines are really clear… no Slave Leia’s at a children’s hospital and such…but events like this… where a Slave Leia is okay at one “family/Formal” event at a Museum but not at another…*shrugs* it really makes for some confusion.

So… what’s the answer??

"To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did." - Unknown

Official "Suck the fun out of an event and the forums" Liaison - Jedi-G
Aurabesh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per the RL Charter:

There can be three types of official Rebel Legion events, high profile, medium profile, and low profile.

1. High profile events: This is an official Rebel Legion event that is usually organized/sponsored for the promotion of a Lucasfilm Ltd, or LFL approved partner. A formal costume from the movies is the usual requirement unless otherwise requested.
2. Medium profile events: This is an official Rebel Legion event that does not involve Lucasfilm Ltd. and is for RL promotion or charity. A formal costume is the requirement unless otherwise requested/permitted.
3. Low profile events: This is an official Rebel Legion event for RL promotion with the purpose of fun and entertainment. The use of formal or informal costumes are permitted.

Only Members with approved costumes may attend official events. Special permission may be granted by a Base CO for a new member, due to a pending application, to attend an official event. All members at these official events are identified as representatives of The Rebel Legion and a strict Code of Conduct will apply.

For high profile and some medium profile events, members portraying face characters should resemble those they are depicting. There should be only one person portraying one face character from one movie at a time per location. There may be two persons portraying the same character but they must be in different costumes and at different locations at the event. Final decisions regarding regarding the number of face characters, and their costumes for events, are up to the Event Coordinator, the Rebel Legion Event Officer, and Legion Council.
JediMom3 (Andrea Samulewicz)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tempest,

I suggest you read and reread the charter. This will help with your confusion and help you further understand the mission, vision and values of our organization.

I was the event coordinator for WSMI in Philly. At first the museum
costume selection committee did NOT want a Slave Leia. But after further thinking they approved one for the Adult only High profile member's Gala. But not for the other days when there were families present.

Your costume first must be approved on this website by the Legion Costume Judges before you can even think of wearing it an official RL event as a representative of our organization.

Then you must be approved to wear the costume by not only the Museum itself but the Event Representative/Coordinator for the Rebel Legion. This could be your CO/XO/ or designee. Also final decisions for all high profile events are at the decretion of the LMO and Legion Council.

If you have anyother questions please pm me.

Tempest ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay people… we need to get past the whole “approval” issue. We all know that a costume has to be “approved” to be “officially” worn by a member to represent Rebel Legion at an event… this isn’t in question nor does it have anything to do my original question.

My question is what are the “rules” for costumes for events.

And yes, I’ve read the charters… I’ve reread the charters an all it does is give a definition as to the level of an “event”, it does not say that at a “formal” event such and such costume isn’t permitted, or at such and such event only these specific costumes are permitted.

If this is the case, what can’t anyone just simply say that “Costumes criteria will be set by the organization requesting the presence of members of Rebel Legion” instead of saying that at a ‘Formal’ event this or that costume isn’t allowed? Because technically… a Formal event could entail ANY costume from ANY Star Wars movie… because it says so right there in the charter!

As I have been saying… these ‘rules’ the way they were being used an applied do NOT make sense!

Or perhaps it’s because I’m military, and there’s just way too much ‘wiggle room’ for the rules to be ‘bent’ or ‘lax’ that I am having a hard time understanding.

"To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did." - Unknown

Aurabesh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Within the RL charter here are some areas that might clear this up:

The applicant's first costume for submission must be one that is considered a Formal, professional grade Star Wars costume that qualifies as a Rebel, Hero, Creature, Rebel supporter, or good guy character. Subsequent costumes may be Formal or Informal.

1. Formal is defined as a costume from one of the six Star Wars films, Expanded Universe, or Lucasfilm Licensed Media (TV, books, games, etc.) as it would appear in those materials.
2. Informal is defined as a costume from one of the six Star Wars films, Expanded Universe, Lucasfilm Licensed Media(TV, books, games, etc.) that does not contain all the elements as it appears in the source material and/or is customized as the owner desires. An Informal costume can also be something never seen in a film, EU, or Media reference but is related within the Star Wars Universe.
3. Please see Article II: Costume Standards for further explanations and details. Any costume for submission must be owned by applicant and should not be rented, borrowed or a shared costume.

Formal: Formal is defined as a costume from one of the six Star Wars films, Expanded Universe, or Lucasfilm Licensed Media (TV, books, games, etc.) as it would appear in those materials. Costumes must be complete, containing all the parts in good working order and appearance. All costume submissions must meet the Costume Standards listed in the Costume Standards Master List, on The Rebel Legion website.
Applicants submitting costumes for any Expanded Universe costume must also submit three (3) LFL licensed sources for the character/costume, in order for it to be considered Formal.

Informal: Informal is defined as costume from one of the six Star Wars films, Expanded Universe, Lucasfilm Licensed Media (TV, books, games, etc.) that does not contain all the elements as it appears in the source material and/or is customized as the owner desires. An Informal costume can also be something never seen in a film, EU, or LFL media material. These original and customized costumes will be considered, provided that their level of customization has some precedence in the Star Wars Universe. Informal costumes may be reproductions of film or EU costumes that do not meet all the Costume Standards listed in the Costume Standards Master List, on The Rebel Legion website, or they may be EU costumes with less then three (3) reference sources.

All costumes must be within the confines of decency. (Decency is defined as being without profane or vulgar features or statements and must be appropriate for young children).

Each costume is designated as Formal or Informal by The Base Membership Officer (BMO) and if necessary with a consultation from the Legion Costume Judge (LCJ) for each respective Costume Category using the Costume Standards Master List. If there remains a question in regard to an applicants costume submission The Legion Membership Officer (LMO) has final approval. This is so that members will know immediately what type of event that a given costume qualifies to attend. For guidelines on which type of costume can be worn for events.
Tempest ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give you points for trying Neil... but all this does is yet again make a definition about a Formal and Informal Event.... not about specific costumes being allowed as specific events.

The are no clauses in the charters regarding Formal/Informal events that say that!

Why can't you all just admit the fact that it's the ORGANIZATION that requests the appearance of the Rebel Legion and its members to appear who makes the criteria as to what costumes they want to have and put that in the charter?

This way there is some clarification for new comers such as myself. Because I have to tell you... I am on a couple of other costume boards and NONE of them have ANY ‘charters’, or ‘rules’ that say that a specific costume shouldn't be worn at an event because it's a "Formal" event or otherwise!

*Shakes head*

I spent the last 10 years of my life serving my country, and the last 7 years of that protecting the citizens of the United States from terrorists…and now I’m getting flamed on a board over a charter that isn’t clear about what kind of Science Fiction costume is or isn’t allowed at a certain event!

You know… its stuff like this that makes one realize just how petty the human race can get over the silliest of things.

Kyt-Son Lee ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All!

I agree that sometimes rules and regs can get confusing, especially if what's written and what's organizational culture don't always correspond well.

Let me see if I understand what is being presented.

1: There are two types of costumes, Formal, and Informal. Formal is a complete costume from one of the movies or other LFL media. "Complete" is defined by the checklists for that costume in the appropriate forum. Informal is either an incomplete costume from the movies or LFL media, or a costume, complete or incomplete, that is based in the SW multiverse, but never seen on screen or in any LFL media.

2: There are 3 types of events, High, medium, and low-profile. High and Medium-profile events require Formal costumes, Informal costumes may only be worn at low-profile events.

3: The overarching caveat is that "All costumes must be within the confines of decency. (Decency is defined as being without profane or vulgar features or statements and must be appropriate for young children). "

I cannot find mention of family vs. non-family; my understanding is that all events are considered "family-friendly", since SW is a family-friendly franchise.

Have I understood everything so far?

Now, on to Tempest's question: If I understand things correctly, according to what has been posted in this thread and in the charter, an approved complete Slave Leia costume would be considered formal, and allowed at high, medium, and low-profile events, as long as it considered decent and appropriate for young children.

Is this correct? Or is a Slave Leia costume automatically categorized as indecent and non appropriate for young children? Or is its suitability for a particular event entirely up to the event coordinator and/or base CO, and therefore made on an event-by-event basis?

This is a very good question, because it seeks to clarify the rules for a real-world application. I don't think anyone is necessarily looking to be argumentative, but rather, seeking an easily-understood and logical explanation.

Thanks!

-Paula
Aurabesh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think you got the nuts and bolts of it.

And we have had High/Medium Level events were this costume has been allowed (Philly comes to mind). But I think the underlining thing here is the whole meaning of "Family Event"

Now I have been to some events where this costume would not have been appropriate. I do think that we need a system that will tell people ahead of time what costume is appropriate, and which ones are not.

After looking back at the post Craig made for this event, it says that Leia is requested. But it does not say which Leia's would be appropriate. So might I suggest in the future the OIC (whoever that is) please list those costumes that would not be appropriate.
Queen Amidala (Mary Alice Ladd)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tempest wrote:
Why can't you all just admit the fact that it's the ORGANIZATION that requests the appearance of the Rebel Legion and its members to appear who makes the criteria as to what costumes they want to have and put that in the charter?

That's what is does say in the Charter the "Event Coordinator" is the host of the event.
http://www.rebellegion.com/about_charter.php#9
Quote:
3. All decisions regarding costume types for events are up to the Event Coordinator, the Rebel Legion Event Officer, and Legion Council.

4. Only Members with approved costumes may attend official events. Special permission may be granted by a Base CO for a new member, due to a pending application, to attend an official event. All members at these official events are identified as representatives of The Rebel Legion and a strict Code of Conduct will apply.

If the Event host (like the Museum) says we want only "X" costumes that is who can attend period, end of discussion. The RL Event Officer and the LC follow the lead of the host of the event. If host doesn't have a problem with a particular costume, then if a member has that approved costume and there is a slot available for that costume, it can be worn to the event. Sometime there are limited slots for "face" costumes.

Like Andrea said, sometimes an event will say no Slave Leia, then they might change their mind (like what happened for SW:WSMI). We never expected that they would approve a Slave Leia costume for any of the SW:WSMI FI events (which Echo Base and other area bases attended), but in the end they did for a evening event that was not geared to families and children.

It is impossible to have blanket rules for which costume can be worn for an event, as it can change depending on who the host is.

Tempest wrote:
BASICALLY the question I was trying to ask was what constitutes a “formal” vs. “informal” event.

Tempest wrote:
I give you points for trying Neil... but all this does is yet again make a definition about a Formal and Informal Event.... not about specific costumes being allowed as specific events.

I think there is some confusion between Formal and Inform costume and events. Your mixing the tags for costumes with the tags for events
Event are either "taged" High, Medium or Low. See http://www.rebellegion.com/about_charter.php#9

Events are not formal or informal, the type of costume you can wear to the event is formal and/or informal. The higher profile the event, the less likely that a costume that is informal (i.e. incomplete) will be accepted for the event.

Formal Costume "tag" means that the costume has all the items on the check list and looks close to the movie costume or EU source for the costume.
Informal Costume "tag"means that the costume is lacking items from the check list, or that the costume contains many custom elements.

It is possible that an existing member could submit a Slave Leia costume and it could be missing a few items, but overall look good enought to get an Informal "tag". The type of costume is not Formal or Informal, it is how well the member excutes the costume that determines which tag it gets.
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary Alice said it perfectly. I can understand the confusion, and I think a lot of this has been taken to an extreme. Posts on any forum or electronic media in general is unfortunately not a good way to have a "differing viewpoints" discussion because it is very easy for anyone involved to misconstrue how the two sides of a discussion are being presented.
The question was asked and hopefully answered to the satisfaction of all involved. I'd hope that no one feels "flamed" or "attacked" in any way. It is a valid question and that has a suitable answer I think.
Yes there are various parties that decide which costumes should be allowed at certain events. The Event Coordinator initially, Base COs/XOs, etc., and the Legion Council without a doubt. The LCJs also have a say as they approve or disapprove costume submissions. But on top of all that, and likely before it ever gets to that stage I agree that perhaps a system should be in place before we get down to a day or two before the event date that details which costumes can or cannot be at a specific event. I am totally willing to get that information as early as possible from the Event Coordinator and post it at the same time that I post the actual event. Perhaps I should've done this from the start and if not doing so added to any confusion I apologize. Going forward that will be my normal routine.
Of course there is obviously some common sense involved as well. I can see how the post of the Geppis event details could have lead one to believe that Slave Leia could be considered an approved costume for the event. Of course if we were doing a Cub Scout event, for example, it would be understood that certain costumes may not be appropriate. Either way, it is my hope that there are no hard feelings on anyone's part concerning an issue that many could see as needing clarification and that the answers and information provided have helped.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Craig.

Yes, my question was finally answered and I have a clearer understanding of the protocol now.

However, I would like to just say that when someone asks a question (especially if they’re new and still trying to feel their way around), the standard staple answer should not just be “read the charter”, especially when someone states they have read the charter and their question has not been answered or they are still confused.

Perhaps they missed something or mixed something up… like I think I did with the whole Tags for Costume and Tags for Events like Mary Alice pointed out. Once she did that… the whole thing became MUCH clearer, and my question was then answered.

I, personally, have no animosity or hard feelings towards anyone on the board but I would like to take this opportunity to publically Thank both Neil (Aurabesh) and Craig (Atragian Kace) for helping me work through this issue. I know my and my head strong, won’t back down, “have question…need answer!”, bull headed mentality cause some headache for you both… so thanks for putting up with me and trying to help! ^_^

Also you thank you everyone else for helping me find the answer to my question! ^_^

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Terrapin Base -> Terrapin Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: