About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards
 

Forum and Costume Controls

   FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c740e787e5884b5b912e477deee3e3c0Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

       
REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Kit Fisto - For Chewie

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Eiyame (Freya)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 02 Feb 2013
Posts: 60
Location: Vancover, WA/Seattle, WA
Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Kit Fisto - For Chewie Reply with quote

Kit Fisto for RL member Chewie

Robe looks super long because my dummy is really short. And yes I know the belt and boots are the wrong color, they are just there for show, and black is all I got in boots and belt department at the moment.












_________________
No longer taking commissions, at this time.

No longer active.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sarah_d (sarah drummond)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO


Joined: 23 Feb 2012
Posts: 684
Location: West Midlands, UK
Medals: 1 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work! I love the robe! Smile

One suggestion for the dickie would be to maybe dye it a shade darker?, it looks white in the photos and the standard asks for Off-white/Light tan. It might be the lighting that makes it look white though Smile



_________________


Member of:
- Rebel Legion - Elstree Base
- Mandalorian Mercs - Vok'Chi Clan
- 501st - UK Garrison
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 14 Nov 2013
Posts: 89

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's another photo of the same thing. I took these photos myself, from the "screen used" kit fisto.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img850/7220/vkpe.jpg
this one shows colors/textures/construction of the corduroy "dickie".
(note: brown undertunic is (also) made from Corduroy).

-===-

I have a question, re: the robe.
your robe has a definite "yoke" at breast-level. is there a reference for this?
the screen-used Fisto robe, has no yoke, that I could see...
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img163/6569/9di4.jpg


-====-

also, the color of your tunic seems to be a bit off -- the original was more of an orange-brown "cinnamon" color.
yours seems more of a camel-beige "tan" color.






either way, you do very nice work. Cool cheers.
_________________
"Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?"
- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eiyame (Freya)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 02 Feb 2013
Posts: 60
Location: Vancover, WA/Seattle, WA
Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sarah_d wrote:
Very nice work! I love the robe! Smile

One suggestion for the dickie would be to maybe dye it a shade darker?, it looks white in the photos and the standard asks for Off-white/Light tan. It might be the lighting that makes it look white though Smile




That's not a dickie (I don't make them I wont make someone wear them they are horrible) that is a full shirt under the tunic and its off white.

"4. Off-white/Light tan “dickie” with mandarin collar to cover bottom of mask"

And if you want to mess around with trying to dye a stretch polyester fabric be my guest.
_________________
No longer taking commissions, at this time.

No longer active.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eiyame (Freya)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 02 Feb 2013
Posts: 60
Location: Vancover, WA/Seattle, WA
Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt-60 wrote:
here's another photo of the same thing. I took these photos myself, from the "screen used" kit fisto.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img850/7220/vkpe.jpg
this one shows colors/textures/construction of the corduroy "dickie".
(note: brown undertunic is (also) made from Corduroy).

-===-

I have a question, re: the robe.
your robe has a definite "yoke" at breast-level. is there a reference for this?
the screen-used Fisto robe, has no yoke, that I could see...
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img163/6569/9di4.jpg


-====-

also, the color of your tunic seems to be a bit off -- the original was more of an orange-brown "cinnamon" color.
yours seems more of a camel-beige "tan" color.





either way, you do very nice work. Cool cheers.



"4. Off-white/Light tan “dickie” with mandarin collar to cover bottom of mask" - Doesn't say anything about having a required texture of the fabric.

"Dark brown hooded robe with wide sleeves" - It says ROBE with wide sleeves and that robe is dark brown with hood and has wide sleeves. I use a yoke style robe because I have found they last a lot longer than just your standard two shoulder seem robe. And they hang better, and if you want to wear armor under or over them having a yoked robe makes your life easier. There are others out their with a similar robe style with a yoke and non of the costume judges has a problem with it. If they did they would say "non-yoke" robe in the requirements.

"2. Cinnamon brown or gray-brown outer tunic, sash (obi), and tabards of the same material and color which extend to the bottom of the tunic in both front and back" - When I bought the fabric for that costume I hunted over two counties for the right color of fabric. And that is what I found, it was as good as I could get with out having to spend time and waste fabric trying to dye it to just the right, perfect color. And on the bolt it said "cinnamon".

Keep in mind I had to shoot these images inside with crap lighting and a cell phone camera.
_________________
No longer taking commissions, at this time.

No longer active.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 14 Nov 2013
Posts: 89

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the costume standards should not be used as an instruction manual.
they comprise approximately 10 lines of text.
(compare to Generic Jedi @ 10 pages! and be aware that "face characters" are ALWAYS judged more harshly than Generics) Wink hehe


by providing images of the actual screen-worn costume...
..I only hope that I've contributed to your body of research. (don't shoot the messenger). cheers.
_________________
"Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?"
- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Amalphiea ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO


Joined: 16 May 2007
Posts: 3819

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are not judged more harshly. It's that we actually have pictures, sketches, and drawings of these characters and can see all of the details that need to be recreated for them. Generic is just that, generic.
_________________
Kellie
Terrapin Base XO
The Wretched Hive CO
Legion Costume Judge
Legion PR Team

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 14 Nov 2013
Posts: 89

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

safe to say, then, that the face characters are judged on "references";
not just 10 lines of text (?)
(that was my point afterall -- if we can excuse my poor choice of diction) Wink



--> now you have more references. (don't shoot the messenger). Cool cheers
_________________
"Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?"
- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chewie ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 07 Mar 2011
Posts: 342

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Freya, the outfit came in today and looks great and feels absolutely comfortable to wear.

At the bottom is a picture of me wearing the outfit and a of the undershirt with another outfit Freya has made that is a pure white to show that it is a off white, (note I do have good lighting and a good camera, the photos were shot with a Nikon D610 with a light source from a Nikon SB700 at a 90 degree angle.)


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eiyame (Freya)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 02 Feb 2013
Posts: 60
Location: Vancover, WA/Seattle, WA
Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chewie, and thank you for proving that the undershirt its not white. Though it looks like I should have hemmed up that robe a bit more like I wanted to. :\ I'll re hem it for you but its going to be $50 just to send it back to me, if its to long I would find a local tailor; they should be able to take up the hemline easy; if your sewing machine challenged.

As to everyone else who is whining that its not the right texture, or the perfect color of brown. Your not a costume judge; you don't know what fabric I can and can't get; or what I am willing to use for the costume based on my clients area;(which this time is AUS) and as long as its right according the the "instruction manual" and looks as reasonably close to the costume as you can get then its good.

And if someone thinks for a moment that I don't spend HOURS looking at costume images and re watching parts of movies to double check that my work is going to be as reasonably close to what was in the movie or in Clone Wars (like Ahsoka) then your wrong, for every non custom costume I do I have at lest 6 different images I use for source material. By the time I get done with a costume I am do sick of looking at it its not even funny.

I am sorry this post is more of a annoyed rate, but it really gets my tail feathers pulled when people start nit picking over the stupidest things. ETC: Like the undershirt isn't the same texture they used in the movie, or its not a dark enough shade of brown. The bottom line is, in a perfect world all of our costumes would look 100% like they do in the movies/tv shows/games/etc but we work with the materials we got, and its unfair to expect people to search over two states to find the perfect fabric when that "perfect fabric" may or may not exist in their area. You have to work with what you got. And that Kit costume was the product of many hours of work, and going to another state to get the fabric, because my local stores didn't have what I wanted for the costume.
_________________
No longer taking commissions, at this time.

No longer active.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 21 May 2012
Posts: 444

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eiyame wrote:
Thanks Chewie, and thank you for proving that the undershirt its not white. Though it looks like I should have hemmed up that robe a bit more like I wanted to. :\ I'll re hem it for you but its going to be $50 just to send it back to me, if its to long I would find a local tailor; they should be able to take up the hemline easy; if your sewing machine challenged.


Sorry, but Chewie did provide his measurements, didn't he?
And since you apparently failed to check those measurements against your finished creation, you should be responsible for that change, particularly with measurements that are obviously so far off, length-wise.
Of course you would have to pay the shipping costs too; or offer to pay for the sewing that a local seamstress will do. Just my humble and not necessarily relevant opinion, of course, which no one is forced to adopt.

Quote:
As to everyone else who is whining that its not the right texture, or the perfect color of brown. Your not a costume judge; you don't know what fabric I can and can't get; or what I am willing to use for the costume based on my clients area;(which this time is AUS) and as long as its right according the the "instruction manual" and looks as reasonably close to the costume as you can get then its good.


I'm terribly sorry for having to criticize, but that doesn't quite compute with what you wrote before.
First,

Quote:
And if you want to mess around with trying to dye a stretch polyester fabric be my guest.


for someone living in a hot and humid area, you don't want to use artificial fibers on a thick, multi-layer costume; as in ever (and with Idye Poly and the considerably small undershirt, dyeing stretch polyester would have been simple - but, again, that shouldn't be the first choice in fibers for that area. I'm just saying this since you seem to defend your choice of fibers based on where the client lives.

Second, cotton corduroy, even with a slight amount of stretch - which should have been your first choice of fabric - is available pretty much EVERYWHERE in the world. Don't tell me you "can't get it" where you live. It's also insanely easy to dye, without having to use Idye Poly and a pot on a stove - a simple tea dye would have worked perfectly.

Quote:
And if someone thinks for a moment that I don't spend HOURS looking at costume images and re watching parts of movies to double check that my work is going to be as reasonably close to what was in the movie or in Clone Wars (like Ahsoka) then your wrong, for every non custom costume I do I have at lest 6 different images I use for source material. By the time I get done with a costume I am do sick of looking at it its not even funny.


Again, who am I to criticize when I have next to no sewing and costuming experience (side note: look at the website in my signature to find the irony in that statement!), but you claim to look at reference pictures, yet you only seem to stick to a few lines in the standards and deliberately seem to pick from those lines what seems easiest for you.
I had already seen that on the sleeves closure of your Ewok Leia; now I'm seeing it again on the material and texture used for this undershirt.

Quote:
I am sorry this post is more of a annoyed rate, but it really gets my tail feathers pulled when people start nit picking over the stupidest things.


Accuracy is NEVER stupid. Particularly not in an environment like the Rebel Legion or 501st.
Guests at events want to see "their heroes", not "some costume that might has as well sprung from a teenager's mum's made first anime convention costume".
You wouldn't believe how many details of a costume particularly kids remember.

Quote:
ETC: Like the undershirt isn't the same texture they used in the movie, or its not a dark enough shade of brown. The bottom line is, in a perfect world all of our costumes would look 100% like they do in the movies/tv shows/games/etc but we work with the materials we got, and its unfair to expect people to search over two states to find the perfect fabric when that "perfect fabric" may or may not exist in their area.


As I said, I know of no place in the world where cotton corduroy would not be readily available; and if everything else fails because of badly-equipped local fabric stores (though for the life of me I can't imagine a remotely decent fabric store that doesn't have corduroy), why not order online?
_________________
~*~ Love of my life: Creating costumes! ~*~
Current projects:
Amidala Red Invasion
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer
Legion Membership Officer


Joined: 01 Apr 2009
Posts: 3152
Location: Rainbow City, Alabama
Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ladies....please keep your tones civil and respectful of others. You both have good points, though...I question some of the wording in trying to make your points.

I have served as a costume judge and am currently serving as the Legion Membership Officer. On one side of the coin, I understand the level of detail we expect in our face characters (or all of our costumes, for that matter). Textures and colors of fabrics (etc.) are important, and we should strive to get them as close as possible. On the other side of the coin, it's darned near impossible to find some (or even most) of the fabrics for our costumes, so suitable substitutes need to be found...and, at the same time, considering what fabrics/materials are available in various parts of the world.

The main points that I stress a LOT is that costumes should have good quality of construction and fit the wearer. If the components are there and the costume is readily recognizable as the character we're trying to portray, then the minute details become less important...not that I'm implying that we should sacrifice quality.

Cobalt-60 spoke the truth when he said...in so many words...that the costume standards are the beginning of one's research in building a costume and are not a "set in stone" group of components (or description of components) for a costume build. The ultimate "standard" we go by in evaluating a costume for membership is the source material (the film/TV/EU-source characters).

I don't know about you guys, but...I'm never finished with a costume. I'm always trying to upgrade and update any component that I feel falls short of perfection.
_________________

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum
The Rebel Legion is a worldwide Star Wars costuming organization comprised of and operated by Star Wars fans. While not sponsored by Lucasfilm Ltd., it is Lucasfilm's preferred volunteer Rebel costuming group. Star Wars, its characters, costumes, and all associated items are the intellectual property of Lucasfilm. © 2014 Lucasfilm Ltd. & ™ All rights reserved. Used under authorization.


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group