Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=44e2c48e3f951c55fe25f40cf8b9e915Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Lightwhip?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
austin3991 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Lightwhip? Reply with quote

So for my next planned Jedi costume I was going to use a ligthwhip. Well I can't find hide or hair of if I can or can't in the standards. So if anyone can point me in the right direction or give me a definitive answer that would be much appreciated.
sarah_d (sarah drummond)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this for a generic jedi? Smile

In the current standard there's no mention of lightwhips so I'd be inclined to say no, but if you've got any references for jedi with lightwhips please post them up and I'll ask the Jedi LCJs and the LMO. Smile

Member of:
- Rebel Legion - Elstree Base
- Mandalorian Mercs - Vok'Chi Clan
- 501st - UK Garrison
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Githany used one while she was still a Jedi and so did Jax Pavan.

The problem with a lightwhip is that whips are unpredictable. It may look cool, but there is a high probability that swinging it around would hit someone.

I am very familiar with whips (I was SCA; get your head out of the gutter). Whenever we used whips for demonstrations, we'd have to block out an area twice the length of the whip and were not allowed to even take it off of our belt unless we were within about a two meter square in the middle of the display.

Let's put it this way, I've seen a guy playing around with a whip completely miss the target he was aiming at, but he successfully hit the person walking by behind him. Opened a gash on her cheek. It wasn't even a leather whip, but was a spun and braided twine whip.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one case of Clone Wars era Jedi using them that is the one build by Obi-wan who designed it from a whip he had seen used by the bounty hunter Ona Nobis. That whip was later used by Kit Fisto and Obi-Wan during the bio-droid crisis in the book The Cestus Deception. Besides that as Volund mentioned Githany and Jax Pavan used one.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kit_Fisto
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jax_Pavan
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Githany
sarah_d (sarah drummond)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi austin3991 Smile

Currently, a light whip will not be acceptable instead of a lightsaber for a generic jedi.

If you want to carry one for your costume, there is precedent for it but it won't be approved so I'd advise to not include it in your application.

Ben

Member of:
- Rebel Legion - Elstree Base
- Mandalorian Mercs - Vok'Chi Clan
- 501st - UK Garrison
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: