About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e6d6916b2a941253a68e312bb5699451Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rebel donut
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With most all plastics, Krylon Fusion works great!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have your donut yet?

You might not be able to find Krylon Fusion paint in the right color for this helmet. It only comes in a few shades of green. The Spring Grass doesn't look quite right for this, and the Hunter Green might be too dark.

Find out if there are anymore Endor Commandos in your geographical area, and use the same paint. There's not a lot of us yet, when compared to say, Rebel Fleet Troopers, but our numbers are growing. Smile

You should prime it, especially if it's made out of black plastic, like mine was.

My donut kit consisted of back and front halves, so the primer really made it easy to see if I needed to resand the Bondo at the seams.

After the primer, I then did a couple coats of silver (Rustoluem Specialty Metallics) so that it would look like "metal" if the green paint got scratched off with normal wear. I planned on doing some intentional scratches, as well.

If you're going to put any dents in it, then you need to do it before you prime it. The best way would be by using a heat gun. I didn't have one, so I carefully held my well above the burner on my gas stove, and when the plastic started to soften I pressed in with a piece of wood dowel I had handy. You could also use the end of a broom handle for a smoother indentation, but I figured that might be hard to wield, if the broom was still whole. I added a few dents to the edges as well.

When you go to do your weathering (and we know that these helmets are pretty beaten up), think about how it would to that naturally, the paint would rub or scrape off of the high spots, and probably flake and peel off around the dents. Be kind of sparing with the wear marks, don't make them even all the way around all the edges, or it won't look "natural" and it will look too "fake".

It would also gather dirt in the low spots and crevices, and also maybe the edges where it might be handled a lot.

I used the dry brush technique (dip the brush in the paint, wipe most of it off on a paper towel) for the silver wear marks and dirt.

Here's how mine turned out:

It's actually "dirtier" than it looks in those pics I took in the sunlight.

I found some rust colored primer in my garage, so I thought I'd be different, and put some "rusty" spots on my helmet by misting it at arm's length. Did that with some black, too.

After I got my decal on, and properly weathered and dirtied up, I shot the whole thing with a clear matte coat.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good trick to use for accenting the "metal" portions would be to not only do what Lori suggested, but to use a silver sharpie as well.

When I weathered my E-11, I did it the hard way and dipped my finger into the same silver paint that Lori suggested. The highlights came out great, but like a doofus, I have silver paint on my finger for a couple of days. Just highlighting the "scratch marks" with a silver sharpie is permanent.... and you won't get your hands all mucked up! Wink

The best thing to do, the most important thing to do is to consult those folks that you will be trooping with. We can give you all the advice and how-to points we like, but ultimately it is those folks you will be spending the most amount of time with. Yes, primer in a neutral color. Forget that Krylon Fusion... unless it is recommended by your peers! But to be honest, once you get a good primer on, any paint will do just fine. I have always been a big fan of Rustoleum, myself. But, again, get in touch with those members of your local base and do as they do. There is nothing worse that being part of the same outfit and not looking like you are a part of the same outfit. Know what I mean?

Much luck and success to you!

- Bill

Last edited by Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel) on Thu May 01, 2008 7:00 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AMP (Tony Perez)
Kessel Base CO
Kessel Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sprayed a silver layer first and then used vinyl stencils (chips & scratches borrowed from TDH) to cover the areas I didn't want the green on.
After that I airbrushed the "weathering" on.

It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't try the "mustard method" Tony? Wink (you should know what that means, if you are on TDH, or maybe I found out about that on RPF dunno )

As you can see, there are mulitple methods to doing the weathering on these helmets. Pick the one best suited to your desire, or talent.

It looks strange to me to see a helmet that doesn't have any weathering, because they should.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Loreen Shadowchaser wrote:
You didn't try the "mustard method" Tony? Wink (you should know what that means, if you are on TDH, or maybe I found out about that on RPF dunno )

As you can see, there are mulitple methods to doing the weathering on these helmets. Pick the one best suited to your desire, or talent.

It looks strange to me to see a helmet that doesn't have any weathering, because they should.

I like my helmets new.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raise eyebrows

jeez

shoot me
Kessel Base CO
Kessel Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried the mustard method, but made a mess and later a sandwich.
I have access to a vinyl plotter at work, so I took advantage of it.

It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Wolfie (Crystal Bass)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used toothpaste. Smells minty fresh Smile

I also took a rock and smacked the helmet several times with it lol

then heated it areas of the inside of the helmet with a lighter then pushed said rock into it, making some dents.

and TSA helped weather it on the way back from LA too by throwing my bags around!
Lord Preston ()

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have any of you put a comm box on your donut?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would we? Since they don't belong on a donut. You shouldn't either.

That would look very strange and out of place. Neutral Don't add anything that you don't see in Return of the Jedi.

Have you been listening to what we've been saying about not costumizing these helmets?

jeez
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or we could try not being rude.

Once again, if the costume is for your own personal pleasure... we don't care if you paint your donut neon pink.

Not all of us do events headed by King Lucas.

- Lao-Jon Yung, Jedi Knight
- Lt Jak "Novahawk" Hunter, X-wing pilot and A-wing pilot Warhawk Squadron
- Sgt Zev Youngblood, Rebel Commando
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lord Preston ()

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would we? Since they don't belong on a donut. You shouldn't either.

That would look very strange and out of place. Neutral Don't add anything that you don't see in Return of the Jedi.

Have you been listening to what we've been saying about not costumizing these helmets?

jeez

Ouch, yeah, since I'm a newbie, I have a right to ask questions. Rolling Eyes I know that in the movies, there were no comm boxes on the donuts. I was just asking out of curiosity. Rolling Eyes I know that your not to customize these helmets. I am ordering 2 donut kits, and just wanted to know if anyone had. Sorry for not being cannon. Bang Head
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for being rude. Embarassed

I guess I got frustrated because it seemed like you weren't listening to me about not customizing, and a comm box would be customization.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for being rude. Embarassed

I guess I got frustrated because it seemed like you weren't listening to me about not customizing, and a comm box would be customization.

I forgive you. It was just a question, you know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: