About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f69031adb6f6d3b8e7559acd7b01ac83Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rebel donut
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Preston ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Rebel donut Reply with quote

Hey all, I'm new, so please go easy on me if I did not post this right. But for the Endor donut helmet, can you do custom paint jobs, or whatever to the helmet? Just wanted to know.
Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go easy? Why? I don't see where there is anything wrong with that question. It is a perfectly normal newbie (not meant to be an insult) question. I think folks would be more apt to through out of an airlock (while travelling in hyperspace) if you were to ask, "hey, all. newbie here. where can I get a donut?"

While I may not be an expert, or an official RL member, for that matter. I would say that if you are going for your first official costume, as in formal, I would stay away from doing a custom job. Customs should be for those costumes that are done after you get your "in" with the Rebel Legion. But that is just my humble opinion. Perhaps, some of the other official members should sound off on this....

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lord Preston ()

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramys Strael wrote:
Go easy? Why? I don't see where there is anything wrong with that question. It is a perfectly normal newbie (not meant to be an insult) question. I think folks would be more apt to through out of an airlock (while travelling in hyperspace) if you were to ask, "hey, all. newbie here. where can I get a donut?"

While I may not be an expert, or an official RL member, for that matter. I would say that if you are going for your first official costume, as in formal, I would stay away from doing a custom job. Customs should be for those costumes that are done after you get your "in" with the Rebel Legion. But that is just my humble opinion. Perhaps, some of the other official members should sound off on this....

- Bill
Thank you for being polite. Ok so I will focus on doing a formal outfit for now.
Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are all newbies at some point. No need to burn ya at the stake for asking an innocent question. Just trying to help is all. That is what I am here for! Mr. Green

- Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bill. If this will be your first costume, you need to keep to the Standards so that it can be Formal. And it needs to be recognizable, like it came out of Return of the Jedi. If you do, say, a red or blue donut, with all kinds of greeblies on it, the average person will be confused, and wonder what you're supposed to be.

While it's true that we make costumes for ourselves, we do have set Standards here in the Rebel Legion, that we must adhere to, plus it's more fun when the Public can actually recognize which costume you are trying to protray. Wink

Customization isn't really recommended for Trooper helmets, they should all look pretty much the same. Troopers are in units of the same type, the costumes help unify them.

The only place that helmet customizing is encouraged is for the Pilots, and that's just with the paint schemes, not the overall design and shape.

Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Lori said. The only customizing of helmets is the pilot helmet; the rest (RFT, Endor) should follow the standards.

This is why you should try to follow the standard:

Although there are two shades of green you can tell the helmets are basically the same. If your helmet didn't match you would really stand out.
Mos Espa Base CO
Mos Espa Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also recommend asking other people in your base what color you painted your donut. While there are different shades of green in that picture, it's because they're from different bases, and you're going to spend the most time with your basemates than everyone else.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, I think I need to tone down that bright green on my jacket a bit. raise eyebrows
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We dullcoated our helmets with matte clear when we got back too lol. We didnt have time before we left for LA. But they arent so shiney now, but generally the same dark green we were going for.

Chad did discover , however, that his gloves were waaay to bright lol and that our yellow color washed out in the wash lol.

So yay learning experiences. Smile
Novahawk ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your customization can come from where your "rub" comes through. Maybe... maybe a slight variation on the sticker (different colors but not like a Skull).

- Lao-Jon Yung, Jedi Knight
- Lt Jak "Novahawk" Hunter, X-wing pilot and A-wing pilot Warhawk Squadron
- Sgt Zev Youngblood, Rebel Commando
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And check with your base as to what color their gaiters are too...
lol...

Wink

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
LizardJedi (Liz Hyde)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Sunrider just likes to be different than everyone else.

Its the California way Razz

The opposite of War isn't Peace, its Creation
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LizardJedi wrote:
Hey, Sunrider just likes to be different than everyone else.

Its the California way Razz

lol...
and being a diplomat..
I have both colors...

Very Happy

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can sort of "customize" these helmets, by where you put any scratches or dents in them, I guess.

I don't think anyone else I've seen has added the "vents" on the back of theirs, or whatever those black stripy bits are. I did mine with black pin striping tape, before I sprayed it with a matte finish.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do I need to paint it with? Primer? Then paint? Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: