Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=bf9c8c0740e153928e71ad2e90c550faMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Standards Upgrade: Your Costume May Be Affected

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Standards Upgrade: Your Costume May Be Affected Reply with quote

This was announced in the past but I think over time people have forgotten.

At the beginning of this year, the upgraded standards were formally adopted along with the revised charter. The Legion Costuming Judges will be going over existing member costumes to see if they conform to the revised standards.

This means that some costumes that were previously marked as "Formal" may be downgraded to "Informal" when compared to the new standards. I highly recommend that everyone review their costumes against these standards and make any changes ASAP.

Any questions/concerns, don't hesitate to ask. Smile

Here are the standards we have for Troopers:

Rebel Fleet Trooper
Required Items:

1. Accurate Fleet Trooper helmet
2. Long-sleeve blue workshirt with bib in front
3. Black, collarless vest with pockets
4. Light Grey pants with large cargo pockets
5. Black mid-calf boots (or suitable substitute, shaft should be 11-13 inches tall)
6. Brown leather/vinyl belt with metal buckle (buckle can be rectangular, oval, or octagon-shaped)

Formal Requirements:

1. A blaster or pike weapon, unless local laws prohibit or strongly discourage carrying anything that looks like a firearm.

Endor Commando
Required Items:

1. Cargo style pants spray painted in a camouflage pattern.
2. A beige or gray long sleeve t-shirt
3. Desert style combat boots
4. OD Green or Beige spats covering top of boots to top of calve.
5. Beige vest with cap-style sleeves or camouflage trenchcoat/labcoat
6. Helmet consisting of an AN-H-15 cloth helmet (or replica) with a ribbed strip on the top, a replica rigid outer ring, and cloth bill
7. OD Belt with pouches
8. Short, light-colored leather work gloves

Formal Requirements:

1. A blaster, unless local laws prohibit or strongly discourage carrying anything that looks like a firearm.

Optional Items:

1. Web bandolier with replica accessories
2. Canvas military-style backpack
3. Poncho camouflage painted
4. Hooded jacket camouflage painted
5. Vest accessories

Yavin Hanger Technician
Required Items:

1. Light Tan, Beige or Light Grey military coverall with arm and leg pockets.
2. Olive drab, tan belt for tan/beige coveralls; gray belt for gray coveralls
3. Black boots or black shoes
4. Tech helmet (RFT helmet without the swoop)

Optional Items:

1. mini flares in belt

Yavin Honor Guard
Required Items:

1. Army-green button down tunic with breast pockets and cargo pockets
2. Army-green pants
3. Dark grey belt
4. White, accurate, hard Fleet Trooper helmet with visor down
5. Black boots or black shoes
6. Large, grey staff/pike

Unstuck by Schph Gochi as there have been a few changes over the last 2 years on some of the descriptions above.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Standards Upgrage: Your Costume May Be Affected Reply with quote

Grey Jedi wrote:

Endor Commando
Required Items:

1. Cargo style pants spray painted in a camouflage pattern.
2. A beige long sleeve t-shirt
3. Desert style combat boots
4. OD Green or Beige spats covering top of boots to top of calve.
5. Beige vest with cap-style sleeves or camouflage trenchcoat/labcoat
6. Helmet consisting of an AN-H-15 cloth helmet (or replica) with a ribbed strip on the top, a replica rigid outer ring, and cloth bill
7. OD Belt with pouches
8. Short, light-colored leather work gloves

Formal Requirements:

1. A blaster, unless local laws prohibit or strongly discourage carrying anything that looks like a firearm.

Optional Items:

1. Web bandolier with replica accessories
2. Canvas military-style backpack
3. Poncho camouflage painted
4. Hooded jacket camouflage painted
5. Vest accessories

O.k. here are my questions and suggestions:

What is the meaning of OD?

The required shirt color in the standard is beige, but I saw ROTJ many times and the shirts are grey. Also there are many Troopers without spats. There are so many variations of Endor Troopers in the movie that are not mentioned in the standard. For me it is pretty unfair to downgrade members who made their costumes according to what they saw with their own eyes in the movie. For me over all stands the movie and if the standard is wrong it must be changed.
Here are some comparison shots from the movie:

Locomotiva (Fabio)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OD is Olive Drab, the color for US Military web gear, pouches, rucksack from 1910 to the Korean War.
The khaki gear (sand coloured) from first world war up to 1942 is Olive Drab No.9, opposed to the darker green Olive Drab No.7 used from 1943. (According to Army regulations 600-35)
From the end of World War Two, the US military dropped the use of Olive Drab and used many numbered shades of Olive Greens (OG-107, OG-507): the pouches for the endor troopers were M-1956 Load Carrying Equipment items in OLIVE GREEN shade 108 and NOT olive Drab.

But OD, Olive Drab usually means a dark green with brown hue, exact US military terminology notwistanding.

Your Endor Equipment I see in Jedicon is OK, the correct hue.

And, yes, the stadard for Endor trooper is a bit too much standard, for a bunch of people who look like a rag-rag mixing of equipment and styles.

Rebel Frequent Flyer: 81.230 Km (50,576 mi.) for SW conventions - and counting
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be Olive Drab. Being in the military, you get used to colors like that (yuck).

I do have one question, though, regarding the Yavin Honor Guard requirements. #1 & 2 state an Army-green tunic and trousers. Being in the Army, I must say that this is not correct.

As you can see in the above picture, the coloring of the honor guard uniform is different from those in the below picture.

The actual uniform used for the Honor Guard was a British uniform. It could also be a modification of the U.S.M.C. Class B Uniform pictured below. The coloring is more similar than the Army Service Uniform. The only thing you would need to do is modify the lapel to close completely and make the collar a stand-up.

Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volund Starfire wrote:
I do have one question, though, regarding the Yavin Honor Guard requirements. #1 & 2 state an Army-green tunic and trousers. Being in the Army, I must say that this is not correct.

There was an thread on the old forum where I put this problem, and I also can add that the belt is in no way GRAY, but itr's nothiong else than a standard US Army M-1936 or M-1956 pistol belt.
I try to find the photo posted there, but both the M1936 (horizontal-striped, one stud on a side of the buckle and tho slide keepers in brass at the other side) and M-1956 (vertiocal striped, metal keepers at both side but black metal) were to be seen in the honor guards and also in the few officers in uniform on the background when Leia give the medals.

Rebel Frequent Flyer: 81.230 Km (50,576 mi.) for SW conventions - and counting
Colonel Dash Rendar (Thomas Riedel)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standards are every time to be controlled. If new, better pics come up, standards should be proved. It´s not carved in stone like the ten commandments. And I agree Fabio, the Endor Troopers are the best example of the real "soul" of the Rebel Alliance. It´s not an Army of Billions of same Troopers like the Stormtrooper on the Empire´s side. If you watch ROTJ again and again, you will see so many variations of the Endor Trooper, it can impossible be fixed on three types of variations. And the shirts are indeed grey. So this is the best proof that the standards are wrong. You can show a million of STAR WARS Fans and non-STAR WARS fans the DVD and you get allways the same answer: grey.
If you judge a Jedi, maybe this high level of costume judging is necessary, as are world-wide so many Jedi and the quality goes from brown-bathrobe-with-flashlight to high quality Jedi costume.
And maybe this is necessary for X-Wing pilots who also not less.
But even there, the standards are not correct and not complete, because they say no difference between an X-Wing pilot and an Snowspeeder pilot.
But it´s a generell diference. Snowspeeder Pilots have the winter Jacket, the winter cap below the helmet, the winter boots and different girths.
Maybe it is also important for Rebel Fleet Trooper, because there are also already a greater number.
But the STAR WARS universe is full of exception. For example: I found a rebel technician in the Home One Hangar in ROTJ in the background walking from right to left. Normally, the technicians have a helmet what is absolute the same like the Rebel Fleet Trooper, except that they don´t have the helmet extension and don´t have the black visor. But this Technician has the helmet extension. Not the visor, but the helmet extension. And that also blasts away the rules. So please excuse to ask a little ironically if it is not already the time and necessary for Lucasfilm that they refilm the movies to fit more to the Rebel Legion standards? Cool Or do we live in a world were white is not always white and black not always black?

Jedi are forbidden to take revenge - Rebels not.
Rebels face the Imperials, Jedi face the Sith.
These Brothers-in-Arms fight for the rebirth of the Republic.
Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lighting has a lot to do with color perception, as we have found in the "Tan versus Gray" thread. The same color shirt can look either light tan or light gray depending on the lighting of the scene.

Here are some of the pictures that were used to determine colors:

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/Xsydney/costumes/P1010069.jpg

Studio Creations Magic of Myth photos:
http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/endorrebelsoldier/index.html.
http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/endorrebelsoldier/index.html.

The different category of trooper was based on Eric Moody's work:

And the Sideshow Collectible series:

A standard is exactly that: a level to which everyone should adhere. A list helps to ensure that everyone has similar items and looks the same. In order to help our reputation, Rebel Legion as a whole has been "upping" all the standards to try and make costumes more uniform. While the 501st has done this for a long time, the sheer variety of our costumes makes it a bigger challenge and, as shown here, different people have different opinions on the way things should be.

The standards have been worked on for over two years now. And this is not the first, or the last, time people will be unhappy with the changes.

Just for the record, I didn't make all these standards but at this point it's my job to uphold it until the Legion Membership Officer says otherwise or I am removed as a Costuming Judge.
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already written to Claudia, Donna & Matt but just for the record, in brief this is what I said:

Quote:
I have reviewed the Endor troopers costumes and their standards. I have looked at Return of the Jedi screencaps and Magic of the Myth exhibit pictures before coming to a decision on the costumes in question, and I have attached all of those in this email.

The undershirt is definitely beige (khaki/tan undershirt) in coloring. However, I can see how it may appear to seem gray in color. Sometimes in the movie colors seem to deviate due to lighting etc. Germany's base's perception of gray would be okay.

However, if a member has the short-sleeved over shirt (the one that is on top of the beige (or in this case, gray) shirt) it should be again tan (khaki/beige in color). I haven't seen any short-sleeved over shirts done in camouflage. I would have to say that if a short over shirt is done, it must be tan (khaki/beige) in color.

The trench coat, however, is camouflage.

I also see clearly that spats are worn over the boots. They are beige/khaki in color, but they may possibly be OD (olive drab) due to the lighting. Either color would be fine.

Tan gloves are also seen clearly on all Endor Troopers.

All the above mentioned are requirements for an Endor Trooper. Depending on which version, a person goes with short-sleeved over shirt or trench coat.

These were new standards that have been placed in the RL along with many other costume categories that have new revised standards.

If a member had been approved prior to the standards revision and do not meet the new standards, they will eventually have to be marked "informal" until revisions are made. If a new member applies and they don't have a previously approved RL costume then it would be declined. If an old member would apply now and their Endor was a new additional costume and miss a lot of the standard' their costume would fall in into "informal" until revisions are made as well.

It was stated that the RL would be going by the new charter since it went into place.

Here are some reference pics I based this off of:

cyranodb (Mike)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...awesome reference photos...though I think those three troopers look a little stiff. I wonder what they used to camo out the cover-alls. Looks like the standard LFL cover-all conversion used for pilots and imperial crewman.
Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not coveralls but a hooded jacket and cargo pants.

The Endor Trooper Resources thread has a link to a camo-painting tutorial along with a list of all the fabric paint colors used. Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the color of the "donut" part of the Endor Commando helmet being green only as a formal requirement & NOT gray/dark gray? I've noticed some formal Endor commandos here with that color, instead of green, WTF? Also, their donut insignia is WAY to big. Shocked Confused

"These Rebels were different. They were organized, they were growing, and they were everywhere."―Journal of the 501st "The Rebellion is spreading and I want to be on the side I believe in." -Biggs Darklighter
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: