Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ccf7f3418110d7036be78c4a7035141cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

3D printable DL-18 Kanan's blaster from Star Wars Rebels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zenix (Todd Blatt)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: 3D printable DL-18 Kanan's blaster from Star Wars Rebels Reply with quote

I've really been enjoying the new Star Wars Rebels show and am thinking about doing a full set of all of Kanan Jarrus's hard pieces. I started with the blaster, of course. It's the traditional DL-18 skiff guard blaster, same one Han uses to save Lando from the sarlacc, but it does have a few minor differences in the TV show. The 3D printed parts were designed by me in AutoCAD and MeshMixer. They print with no need for supports, and it is fully assemblable with no glue required. This means you can "field strip" your blaster for cleaning and reassemble it on-the-go. The scope and barrel are hollow, and you can even install the crosshairs piece inside.

The 3D printed parts are:
    main block
    handle and trigger assembly (printed all as one piece so it's counted as one part)
    trigger guard
    rear recharger cylinder
    rear recharger plug
    main scope body
    scope eye piece
    crosshairs inside scope
    barrel
    barrel attachement
    clip to hold barrel to barrel attachment

The 11 piece 3D printed kit look like this:

The trigger is printed in place, on a hinge, inside the handle. See it working in the video:
http://youtu.be/nQU6uX6wua8?list=UUQfaON_2D0gD-xtKLefi2NQ

It's one print, reducing the skill required to assemble it.

It gets its springback action from the included elastic band which you tie in place.

The main section of the blaster includes a internal 3d printed chamber for housing the battery pack, as well as a tube connecting to the barrel where you can wire up a real laser to shoot out of the barrel. The electronics kit includes a real laser pointer diode, a two-AAA battery harness, a switch, a strand of wire, and a 3d printed mount for the switch. When assembled, the blaster will function as a laser pointer when the trigger is pressed. The laser beam will travel down and out of the barrel. Four solder connections are required, and you still have to make the pew-pew noises yourself. I'll consider offering these pre-soldered, but you really should learn how to do it at your local hackerspace.

The leather grips are to be laser-cut from genuine dewback hide, just like Kanan's. If I run into a dewback shortage, I'll use full-grain aniline sheepskin, as pictured.I carefully used superglue to attach them to the finished blaster.

Instead of the leather grips, I also made 3D printed faux-leather attached to the handle (shown below in black) which can be painted a separate color.

Check out the build thread and my g+ album for more pictures.

http://www.therpf.com/f79/3d-printable-dl-18-kanans-blaster-star-wars-rebels-226109/

https://plus.google.com/photos/101160511147073331023/albums/6070084815697841889

lgtsbr ()

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good, you selling them at all? The Kanan belt rig is on my prototype table actually. Just need this and a saber

Dave
Dust ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an awesome design, well made! Smile
zenix (Todd Blatt)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes.

thanks
Milori T'Bell ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning to make a Kanan in the near future, do you sell the print, or would you sell the design so I could have it printed nearer by (I live in the Netherlands, and our customs just love keeping a package for a month and then slapping on 40-80 dollars extra as "costs")
sarah_d (sarah drummond)
Legion XO
Legion XO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks fantastic! Cool
http://www.rebellegionuk.com/forum/
zenix (Todd Blatt)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

right now i'm not releasing the files and am currently printing all of them myself for the time being
Jacen66 (Matt Sortwell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks Great! PM sent
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: