About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f4cc30016c3df6abb2701e61bdaab1f8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

"Dressing a Rebellion" project
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: "Dressing a Rebellion" project Reply with quote

As a costuming group...we are all about the costume...and helping others make one of our costumes....join...and be active.

One of the projects I have always seen a need for was fabric and color of fabric used in our projects.
I don't plan to delve too much into canon vs non-canon but will identify costume elements as optional.

I know that I have been keeping fabric leftovers from all of my Rebel Trooper and Jedi projects over the years so that I can send people samples AND I had always hoped to put all of this information into a binder that people can flip through at cons. We have done this at The Jedi Assembly and people have found it immensly helpful at Dragon Con and other large cons.

So, what I would need from the Pilot group is some fabric samples of your jumpsuit , the strapping, flak vest (I have done the sport nylon one-so I have that fabric) and any soft fabric pieces. I know that in some instances the Pilots purchase two jumpsuits..one just to make the additional pockets from - so I am hoping that someone saved jumpsuit fabric.

and...if also possible...please note the fabric content (wool, silk, cotton etc) and where purchased....

Thanks in advance...

This book will then be available on loan for large events...

Please PM me for my address......

Page one is done...and I have fabrics and photos coming in from some of the Padmes and Jedi...

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Jade-Walker (Kimberly Dillon)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made our suits from scratch. So I definitely have some of the orange fabric left. You coming out to Wizard World this year? I could get it to you there.
Its a cotton Trigger from Hancock Fabrics. But they don't carry it anymore. Confused And I have a reference thread color around somewhere. I'll add that to this post when I find it.
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jade-Walker wrote:
I made our suits from scratch. So I definitely have some of the orange fabric left. You coming out to Wizard World this year? I could get it to you there.
Its a cotton Trigger from Hancock Fabrics. But they don't carry it anymore. Confused And I have a reference thread color around somewhere. I'll add that to this post when I find it.

Yes...I will be at Wizard World...and this book will be there also...
BUT...my sister is going to be in from Utah that same weekend...so I will only be at WW on a very limited basis...we are supposed to have a RL table there....across from the MWG...

Wink

Rogue Solo (Marty Richau)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, but because there are so many different types of orange pilot suits being used by our members, how are you going to identify those differences?

Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

precisely the point...if you want to cut down on the shades of orange that you have...then you need to send prospective Pilots "out there" with something more than the description that the jumpsuit is "orange"...then there is fabric fiber content...which alters colors as well....

I am sure that I need not tell you guys that "orange" is not just one color.

If there is a more or less "standard" jumpsuit that a majority of you use.....
a fabric sample for the serious minded prospective member is the ideal thing to send them off with...

at the very least translate the proper shade of orange into a DMC color #

HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is going to be tough for several reasons...

1) The RLSC won't call out a "correct" color orange due to stock and geographic availability.

2) There's no set fiber content. the 100% cotton breathes better, but will fade more over time (a benefit for those preferring a weathered look). On top of that certain brands have a slight pattern to the weave. The Poly/cotton blend while warmer to wear, will retain its color longer.

3) There really isn't a standard jumpsuit. People usually get what fits their body shape best and what's available at the time their creating their costume. Add to that all those to the newer suits appearing on ebay and the costumers who are building their suits from scratch, and you have a pretty big pool of variations.

4) As for a proper shade match. Considering that the existing actual props are over 30 years old (and not in the best condition), again a tough pull.

Now having said all that ...

What you're doing is a great idea and I would like to see the pilots participate.
I like the ideas of providing samples, but I don't want to give the impression that they'd be limited to just what they see in the book. A color range of orange (small swatches of darker to lighter) might be the better way to go in this case.

The same reasoning might be applied to the two or three types of acceptable strapping being used out there. As well as to the leg flare webbing material (screen caps appear in both green and black).

Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

participation is optional...
you don't have to if you don't want to....
Wink

yes...we can all delve deeply into the world of fabrics...and if we grizzled veterans are sometimes blown away by the complexities...
imagine the people attempting their first costume...

that is what the book is supposed to be about....
see and feel what others who have an approved costume used...

Woofer (John H. VanOphem)
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My jumpsuit was 100% custom made. The fabric I used is a poly/cotton mix called, get this, Galaxy Twill.

It is a regular stock item at Fabricland stores here in Canada.

It is a good shade of orange, not quite as dayglo as hunting orange, and the weave pattern in the material matches that seen in hi-resolution close-ups of the real thing.

"This is Major Wes Janson, and if you're not aware of his exploits, I'm sure he'll be delighted to give you the whole story."
― Wedge Antilles
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can send you a swatch of the material my converted Navy issue flightsuit from Rothco is made of. I think it's 100% nylon.

Phyllis, PM me your address...

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent....thanks Gil....

and...
believe it or not...
I already had a request to send the book to a RL member for a convention in June...
obviously...all I have to work with right now is my stuff.....I have had a number of people volunteer fabrics and I hope that they do indeed follow through....
maybe I was not far off in as much as there looks to be interest ...

again....participation is optional......the intent of the book is to not delve deeply into requirements....it is meant to be a "jumping off point" that includes the resources where one can go to get more information...and the ability to look at actual fabric pieces...

well...
I got the Commandos done... Wink

Darth Lars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is more important that pilots in a group together look consistent than that one of them has a more accurate fabric than the rest.
Try to get the coarse nylon for the X-wing flak vests also. Do name it "X-wing pilot", not "Rebel Pilot" as there are several kinds.
Jade-Walker (Kimberly Dillon)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schph Gochi wrote:
Jade-Walker wrote:

Yes...I will be at Wizard World...and this book will be there also...
BUT...my sister is going to be in from Utah that same weekend...so I will only be at WW on a very limited basis...we are supposed to have a RL table there....across from the MWG...

Wink

I can leave it at the table for you (we'll get there on Thursday) and you can slap it into the book right away. Wink
Krash ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HazardThree wrote:
I like the ideas of providing samples, but I don't want to give the impression that they'd be limited to just what they see in the book.

I pretty much share all the same positives and negatives on this project HazardThree mentioned, but this one is what I'm most concerned about.

I noticed that the Endor and RFT pages feature Phyllis' costume (and they are very well done) but with all due respect... that can lead people to the ill-advised notion that what this book says about a particular costume is the definative way it should always be done. I know some groups think of costuming as a sort of religion... but I don't think we need a "bible" for RL costumes. Wink

That said, would a hands-on visual reference to fabrics and other materials be helpful and good to have at convention tables... sure. And as you said, "participation is optional..." so it should have NO bearing on the RL costume standards or membership applications.

Editor:
All Wings Report In! - Great Lakes Base blog
Erjediik ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be glad to submit a swatch from my coveralls. It's interesting becuse now we're at the point, ourselves, where the costumes have superceded what was used in the films. We've all heard how little time actors spent in the white armor, the pilots probably spent an hour more than them in the Orange (and Red and Green Wink ). We have people who have spent 12+ hours at a stretch in their fightsuits, so comfort has taken a stronger value than in the movies!

I know I'd love to find one of the real British pressure vests they used in the film to base a new flak vest pattern off of! Very Happy
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erjediik wrote:
I'd be glad to submit a swatch from my coveralls. It's interesting becuse now we're at the point, ourselves, where the costumes have superceded what was used in the films. We've all heard how little time actors spent in the white armor, the pilots probably spent an hour more than them in the Orange (and Red and Green Wink ). We have people who have spent 12+ hours at a stretch in their fightsuits, so comfort has taken a stronger value than in the movies!

I know I'd love to find one of the real British pressure vests they used in the film to base a new flak vest pattern off of! Very Happy

Thanks! I would love a swatch of your coveralls....and any other scraps you may have...did you make your flak vest or purchase it? If you made your vest out of the Sport Nylon...I have that and can include a swatch of mine in your page...and ...I do have the tutorial for the flak vest...

.PM sent with my address....

and...
I have had "Pressure Vest" in my favorite searches at E-bay for two years in the hopes that one of the originals would come up for auction...but...so far all I get notice of are the pressure vests that they use in the treatment of Autism....I also would LOVE to see one!
I wonder if they are in a museum somewhere in England?

At any rate...
thanks again...

I got my first Padme in the mail yesterday...and was so exited...I sat right down and did it...
Jennifer also included the construction details of her gown...so I copied it and designed special tabs so that any construction details that anyone includes can be handed out on the spot.

Hoth is done too....(well the Trench Hoth anyway)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: