About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0be4b1d7b49a57623527ba9d9e758fefMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

scratch-built Bowcaster: done

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Weaponry and Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
duck

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: scratch-built Bowcaster: done Reply with quote

I started my wookiee last December, but finances and timing put it on hold a bit. I concentrated my time and resources towards a more manageable Kit Fisto for the big St. Patrick's Day parade up here in Boston, and in a few weeks, Chewie is gonna start back up. During that time, though, I wanted to get some parts of it done to stay motivated, so I built my lifts and started my leatherwork, but most importantly, I scratch-built my bowcaster.

It started as this:

and ended like this:

It's all scratch-built, so I avoided the hassle of trying to track down the right vintage crossbow (and saved a ton of money). The body is glued up MDF board to get a 1" thickness, then cut out and sanded a ton. I actually blew up that great clean side pic of the ANH bowcaster on the black background with the green grid that Matt provided us on the wookiee resource site and traced it right on to the wood so the proportions were correct (Thanks Mr. Pfingsten!).

The barrel is copper pipe, the bow is a hand sawed piece of aluminum bar, the scopes are assorted pieces of PVC pipe, copper pipe, plumbing and gardening knick-knacks, the balls were raquetballs but I switched to some sturdy Little Tykes balls from some old playset of my son's from the attic(!), the rest is just random junk from my workshop.

That's what I love about scratch-built stuff ... the most random weird stuff ends up looking so cool glued on the right place. Lighting knobs, old cords, washers, garden hose slicers, you name it. The whole thing cost about $50.

So, this baby is my inspiration during all the weeks of grueling work on a 7'7" hair suit.
j3d1_kn1ght (Paul Brown)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice job mate! Superb in fact!
You will appreciate it more seeing how you have built it with your own two hands!
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is awesome work, very nice looking bowcaster.
Cam R'Mala (Lamar)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude! That's absolutely AMAZING! Cool rock
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive work! Shocked

That looks really good. Cool

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks awesome!
dirk steele (karl)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RARRWWWRARAARRR Dance Chewie Dance Chewie Dance Chewie Mr. Green
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bowcaster is made of pure AWESOME!
duck

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everybody. It's so cool to actually have a facsimile of a weapon you've seen your whole life in one of your favorite movies. It's strange how cool a prop weapon can feel in your hands. I love holding this sucker up in a firing position .... and then feeling like a total dork.
duck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I finished my Chewie!

Naw, just kidding .... I found this awesome pic over at plaidstallions.com of a Chewie appearance back in 1980 in Georgia. Gotta love the machine gun bullet belt instead of the bandolier. I'm pretty sure that's not canon! Plus, he appears to be made out of some 1978 shag carpet and a Planet Of The Apes mask. And he looks about 5'10".
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Laughing
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not help but notice the kids shirt.... I had one like that ....lol

Very cool Bowcaster... making it yourself is really the only way to keep the weight down so you can troop with it. If you where to make it from the real deal... it would be nice for a photo shoot or something, but would make you miserble to troop with.

Bob
duck

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just poured the plaster for the mold for my wookiee feet. I'll probably post a pic in a new thread tomorrow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Weaponry and Props All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: