Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2f843e21ddc3e1a2317aa33eccfa4257Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

LibbyKun Generic Jedi WIP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LibbyKun ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:46 am    Post subject: LibbyKun Generic Jedi WIP Reply with quote

Iím just getting started on my Generic Jedi.
Iíve got a few pieces on order- my boots and a pair of khaki colour jeggings. I like the closer fit of tights/leggings to the looser menís cut.

Iíve been working on fitting my outer tunic- altering the Simplicity 5840 to suit a more feminine form and doing a bit of altering to the bottom half for MY Jedi- with a bit of a high/low skirt to it.

Iím planning on using a t-shirt as a base for my under tunic and adding sleeves and the neckline a la Ewan in RotS so the brown of it doesnít show through my lighter over tunic.

I still need to pattern out my obi and tabards, and find a buckle for my belt when I get to it.

I donít have any pics yet, but will share when I get to a picture worthy place.
jasnoksieznik (Michal)
Rebel Legion Translation Team

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obi pattern is kind of disappointing - it is a rectangle, cut twice and sewn together.
Tabards are twice/triple the fun - each is consists of rectangles/trapezoids. Check out the tutorials in the forum. Width should be three times the belt, then it should work out well.
LibbyKun ()

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know theyíre nothing fancy, I still need to get them done.
Iíve seen a few tabards patterned with a bit of arc in the front top to accommodate the female form- I still like the process of doing the thing.

Iím also thinking my tabard skirts in the front might echo the drop in the back on my outer tunic, and havenít actually decided on if theyíll be OWK or QGJ style in the back- that might depend on how much material I actually have for them.

Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind.
jasnoksieznik (Michal)
Rebel Legion Translation Team

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for the third option - longer than skirt (down to boots) on front and longer than skirt on back. I have no velcros (surprisingly, it holds without for 3-4hours), so I can interchange left/right/back/front, in case there is a flaw in sewing.
LibbyKun ()

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iíve finally got some progress! Most of my outer tunic is together- I need to see my tucks and attach the skirt and collar, but progress is progress.

But before I do any of that, I need to decide if I need to bring up the gems on the cuffs and front of the skirt.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/7XcvCWHKR1Oy3fV4aTD09w.zdmFSGUv5aHqiXd9hJAh7C

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/bVLtymj9RoqEdKaCesKtXg.HwFl8jR1x2c9DWmhlZUq94

*edits: trying to get the images to show*

Patience is the calm acceptance that things can happen in a different order than the one you have in mind.
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the length of your hems will depend on how it sits on you, so it's really impossible to tell from seeing it on a dress form. But make sure your sleeves go to the base of your thumb and that your skirt completely covers crotch.

Nordic Base BMO | DL of Aurora Delegation | CRC | She/Her They/Them

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

LibbyKun ()

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up bringing up the skirt in the front, and the Ďtuckí took care of the bulk of the sleeve length. All it needs are ties to secure it, but Iím not so worried about that until Iíve got more finished.

I also love the weight and hang the whole thing has.

[/img][/url]

Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good so far. Smile You'll need a fairly wide obi to cover the waist seam considering how it dips down in the middle back. (I'm guessing the weight of the fabric drags it down). Just something to keep in mind.

LibbyKun ()

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All thatís left to do is my belt, pouches and such and then my robe- but Iíll get there. The belt pieces are coming in the post over the next week, and Iíll piddle with it then.

I have a few things I need to tweak- like adding a wee flap onto my obi to cover the join, but thatís a matter of 15 minutes of work, and need some strings trimmed and maybe a few little hand stitches here and there to get things to stay where they belong.

Anything obvious or subtle that Iím missing? Besides the obvious pieces still to be added?

Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you are making an obi bow? Not often we see those. Smile Yeah, rotate the obi 180 and add an obi bow; that should look awesome.

LibbyKun ()

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Oh, you are making an obi bow? Not often we see those. Smile Yeah, rotate the obi 180 and add an obi bow; that should look awesome.

An obi bow? Do elaborate!!

I just had the obi on backwards because until I added my hook and eyes, it was hard to put on by myself. (I *might* have to come back and make an obi with an extra inch on it, just so it fits a little looser) and since this Iíve added a bit of a Ďgap flapí that covers the closure so it wonít show under the belt.

Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many different styles of obi bow, but for jedi a very simply one can be used, a bit like this, but without the part hanging down.

http://kimono-sakaeya.com/Tokyo/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/DSC_0320-e1499916238655.jpg

Otherwise look at Atris, Queen Apailana or Queen Amidala in her kimono style outfit to see how the GFFA use obi bows. Smile

LibbyKun ()

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my leather in, and *almost* all of the hardware for the belt as well- my buckle is taking the long, slow boat from China apparently, and should have it by the new year- but until then, Iíve got it dyed and conditioned and everything else done on it- left the outer belt pieces long so I can do what needs done when it comes in.

As for the obi bow, I think Iím going to make one I can add or remove- and have it as optional, if thatís something I can do? I have plenty of materials and not much to do, so why not?

Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what you've done with the back of the skirt. the tabards might be a little wide at the shoulder, but that's probably just a matter of preference. either way you've done a great job. you should be very proud.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject: Very nice work Reply with quote

Progress looks very good. I concur the tabards might be a smidge wide. Great work overall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: