Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2e652923bd563dc5cdbd83b6e3c2f5f2Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Generic Jedi: Surcoat style (help & advice)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronne (Eva Lassler)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Generic Jedi: Surcoat style (help & advice) Reply with quote

Previously, I wanted to make a Humble Hero set. But country lockdown took the best of me (gained some weight Shocked), and I stopped feeling good in that version of Jedi outfit. So I decided to take a slight turn towards the more known Jedi outfits. But - I never really fancied wearing tabards myself. I've checked the standards and surcoat caught my attention.
However, there is very little information on how the surcoat should look like (besides length and hoodie information). I uploaded some photos of me wearing something, that should soon be surcoat-style Jedi outfit.

Could you please comment?

1. The inner tunic is the tunic previously made for Humble Hero set. As there are no restrictions for the IT, I guess I can use it?
2. The surcoat is not finished, yet. It is missing the hoodie, and I'd like to add some decorative symbols. Can you advise if it is allowed (to have the surcoat and hoodie hem decorated with aurabesh)? Also, I think I need to re-shape the bottom. It kinda looks like tailcoat suit
3. Obi you see is just for illustrative purposes. It's gonna be a darker brown, the same material as the rest of the outfit (full cotton)

Don't mind the belt. It is my friend's fan-made belt, not build according to standards.

This is a drawing of what I'm trying to achieve.

Please, if anyone has more details on how the surcoats should look like, I'll be very grateful. Also if you have some more ideas on how to improve my outfit, I'll be very happy to hear them!
Ronne (Eva Lassler)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or do you think going more "Ki Adi-Like" would be a safer bet?

Do the pants need to have a matching colour with the IT?

jasnoksieznik (Michal)
Rebel Legion Translation Team

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Saberguild has some more restrictions number of colours, but RL generic Jedi can have many colours as she/he wishes. No problem with pants in different colour than IT/OT/robe/obi
Dangams (David)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 3 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colour matching isn't a problem, though as a rule of thumb, I'd say to have no more than three or four colours across the whole costume.

As for the surcoat shape, as the two primary examples (Ki-Adi and Sarissa Jeng) have closures that stop just below the waist and then flare out, I'd suggest that that's probably the way to go. Of course, if you can find LFL references that show something closer to your original design, then by all means, go for it.
The aurebesh should be okay, as long as it's fairly subtle, as I'd interpret the surcoat as a 'tabard alternative'.

Cleared Costumes:
Generic Jedi
Jedi Knight/Star Forge Revan
X-Wing Pilot
Jedi General
ionicdesign (Michael)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 7 (View more...)
RL Trading Card Design Team (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure, if wanting Saber Guild consideration, you'll need to limit the colours and be sure they are within their accepted arrays.

Dangams wrote:
Colour matching isn't a problem, though as a rule of thumb, I'd say to have no more than three or four colours across the whole costume.

True, there isn't a hard rule but less is more with Jedi and it should be coordinating and not clashing hues. While EU and other LFL sources have had many different varieties of Jedi I cannot recall any that resembled a peacock, or used the full colour spectrum.

One thing that can be helpful when using various colours is to have the same colour temperature. Avoid pairing warm and cool browns together (though it could be ok) but especially avoid doing so with more saturated colours. They will tend to clash visually.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ki-adi wore tabards under his brown-hooded-outer-garment.

(which sort of defines his brown-hooded-outer-garment to be his "Robe" Wink much like every other brown-hooded-outer-garment we see, on every other jedi).

Ki-Adi has a regular tunic/tabard set (just like everyone else), worn under his Robe/Surcoat (just like everyone else).

Rebel Legion Translation Team

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ionicdesign wrote:
True, there isn't a hard rule but less is more with Jedi and it should be coordinating and not clashing hues. While EU and other LFL sources have had many different varieties of Jedi I cannot recall any that resembled a peacock, or used the full colour spectrum.

One thing that can be helpful when using various colours is to have the same colour temperature. Avoid pairing warm and cool browns together (though it could be ok) but especially avoid doing so with more saturated colours. They will tend to clash visually.

Totally agree. Although, what if someone deliberately chooses to stick to the allowed earth tones, but still looks colorful like bantha poodoo, half-digested by a sarlacc (blueish UT, cream OT, violet tabards, dark brown obi, black belt + boots, pewter capsules, mint-green robe)? It does comply with the standards! Evil or Very Mad

On this topic, in general, I've just applied for approval with gray robe. Looking forward to feedback from the judge. Since I'm not into Legends, I tend to think - would it blend nicely into Genosis arena? If yes, I'd go for it.
ionicdesign (Michael)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just giving suggestions for best practices.

Star Wars is so much more than the films and we do allow much more than the Geonosis Arena. Certainly if you fit in there though you're in good shape for a generic.
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as it's harmonious and the colors work together, then it will generally be approved. Use some common sense and you should be fine.

And yes, the tabards are optional with the surcoat style. Keeping to something like Ki-Adi will be best unless you have references for a different kind of surcoat. Smile

Nordic Base BMO | DL of Aurora Delegation | CRC | She/Her They/Them

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Ronne (Eva Lassler)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ionicdesign wrote:
Certainly if you fit in there though you're in good shape for a generic.

Thank you for the support Smile

I had an argument with myself about classic vs. surcoat style for the whole day. And tho I still feel a bit unsure, I decided to go with usual generic Jedi. There are more references and it's easier to make.

I made my husband's outfit. It turned out nicely. I spoke to local RL member (she is also a costume-judge, I think) and she said it's pretty much okay. So I hope it is. Let me know what you think as well. I'll be happy to get some feedback. Just ignore the belt. And there are no velcros, yet, so it all holds together with pins Laughing

Speaking about the colours. Do you think brown-grey is okay? Grey IT and pants. Brown OT. Grey obi, tabards. Black belt and black high boots.

I have the grey fabric wrapped around me for colour match testing, this is not final "product" Mr. Green Just FYI.

Does the IT need to have this classic left-over-right flap style? You see, since I now have spared grey tunic (firstly intended for surcoat), I could fix it and use it as IT. And I'm thinking of using a mandarin collar?

Just as this lovely lady:

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/d9/8d/e9/d98de9b4e0861dda23b68ed699240bff--costume-jedi-rebel-legion.jpg
Ronne (Eva Lassler)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...I made some designs. I've got plenty of darker brown fabric. So I think I can make the tabards and obi of it, too.

I sort of like the first version (grey IT & pants) and brown OT, tabards and obi.

Do you think there will be a problem with the hidden zipper I created for surcoat? I checked and Kit Fisto's got this round mandarin-like collar. But would there be a problem with the zipper?

Thanks
ionicdesign (Michael)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, your brown grey combination if fine.
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And your husband's costume looks good. Smile I'd raise the obi and belt a bit though so they sit at true waist.

Your colors are fine; go for it.

Nordic Base BMO | DL of Aurora Delegation | CRC | She/Her They/Them

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: