About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c0e92c8ff8821f9b31a5c7c2610d48baMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Show us your HELMET !!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MisterFubar wrote:
HazardThree wrote:
Just curious, why'd you decide to put the "victory v's" on upside down? Never seen someone take it down that road before.

No real reason, I just thought they looked better that way.

Interesting choice.
Strongbow ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: My Red 5 (Porkins) helmet. Reply with quote

Okay... here's my first one.

The base helmet is an eFX Luke Ep IV. I bought it second hand from a guy who attempted to weather it "more realistically" himself to... ahem... less than good results.

Prep: I removed the existing edging and masked off the visor and interior. I sanded it to smooth the gouges in it, and gave a few of the more serious gouges a coat of bondo. Another sand, then a primer coat. The base coat is an eggshell white which matches the color of raw ABS pretty well.

Paint scheme: I decided on the Red 6 (Porkins) scheme for this one for two reason: first, I'm a fat boy and fat boys identify with the Porkins! And second, I think it's one to coolest schemes. I used the reference pics of the original helmet provided by JediXXL some months back. What a godsend to Porkins fans. Some things I noted from the pics:

a) The stripes on the visor housing are not equal in length. (confirmed from freeze frames in Ep IV)
b) The left front of the Rams horn is painted black for some reason (confirmed in Ep IV)
c) The trimmed "flying meatball" decal is present on both side of the visor housing in Ep IV.
d) Although you can't see just WHAT it is, in a couple frames, you can see something on the sides of the mohawk in the back where the flying meatballs are in the ref pics. No reason to assume they are anything else!
e) In the ref pics, it appears the rearmost meatball has a red "meatball" (probably the round red decal as seen on Wedge's helmet.). I chose to replicate this.
f) The black and yellow stripe appears to be made from yellow tape and bits of black tape applied over top.
g) There's a silverish and red stripe staggered on either side of the central stripe. I suspect this is 70's era pinstriping, but can't really see it.
h) There is only ONE Victory V on the ram's horn in the ref pics. This portion of the helmet is never seen in Ep IV, but when the helmet appears again in Ep V, the ram's horn can be seen in a couple frames and confirms only one V.

My paint job:

The birds, hairy cat's eyes, Victory V's and Sliced Onions are vinyl decals from DeLucks Designs. These decals are offciailly awesome. I didn't like his flying meatballs as much (for one thing, they face the wrong way), so I made my own waterslide decals. The center of the decals are very pale green, as in the reference pics. The red meatball decals are made that way from the beginning instead of having the red applied as a separate decal , as I suspect was done on the original helmet. The central stripe was made with yellow and black vinyl tape. The red and silver stripe is foil tape with a central stripe of red vinyl tape. The rest of the paint job was taped using 3M vinyl painting tape for the edges and blue painter's masking tape for larger areas. The vinyl painting tape is available in various widths and ROCKS. I did the painting first, then applied decals. I sealed the whoile thing with Krylon Satin clear coat.

Weathering: I went with a farily heavy weathering look. First layer is scratches, scuffs, and edge wear. Second layer is a thin wash of raw umber acrylic paint (a dark, gray-brown), third layer is a thicker wash with lamp black acrylic. I allowed these dry and then used a scotchbrite finishing pad to scuff and "clean" rasied areas and edges. Sealed this with Krylon Satin Clear Coat.

Last layer was isolated stippling to give a grimier look. I allowed it to set slightly, and scruffed/buffed with the finishing pad. Final sealing coat with the satin clear coat.

Removed masking and installed new edging, et voila!

Please be gentle!

Last edited by Strongbow () on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs up Nothin' much more to say, looks SNAZZY!

jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done!
Bespin Base CO
Bespin Base CO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paint job and weathering complete. Just need to add padding and the trim.

Rebel Legion Profile

Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replacing your's Steve, or helping another pilot out? Great design (esp. the Mohawk), but dang that's a bright red. lol

loosetoon (Steve)
Bespin Base CO
Bespin Base CO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a second helmet for myself, a custom based on the Lightning Strike Squadron logo and colors.

The red isn't quite as mind-numbing in person! Very Happy

I also think I could dirty it up even more.

Rebel Legion Profile

man_in_shades ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about the X-Wing pilot helmets when doing a custom paint scheme does the paint scheme have to be pre-approved before being painted on the helmet? Or will it be approved with the costume as a part of the costume?
Delta5Actual ()

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the general rule of thumb around here is logos are okay as long as it isn't immediately identifiable as a real world item. As far as paint schemes, "If it looks like it could be in the trench, then it fits."
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delta5Actual wrote:
"If it looks like it could be in the trench, then it fits."

Hey look, someone quoted me! Somebody's listening! w00t! Dance Chewie

man_in_shades wrote:
I have a question about the X-Wing pilot helmets when doing a custom paint scheme does the paint scheme have to be pre-approved before being painted on the helmet? Or will it be approved with the costume as a part of the costume?

Generally the helmet will be approved with the costume, but if you are concerned there might be issues, by all means post it up or PM a Pilot LCJ with the design BEFORE painting just to be safe.

Strongbow ()

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it! But man, that's a bold red!
man_in_shades ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply I will be starting on it when I get my wife's lady Lumiya done then I will start with the helmet!!!
man_in_shades ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The look I am going for is East Carolina Pirates theme purple flames with rebel birds on the upper front of the rams horns then the lower half of the helmet gold I was wanting to Put the pirate logo but too earthy I then thought of the skull and cross bones the University uses as well again too earthy so I got to looking at some Star Wars logos and saw the storm trooper helmet with the cross bones and thought perfect this will to on eithr side on the bottom half of the helmet over the "ear" part will look cool as heck when done skuffed up and weathered!!!!
loosetoon (Steve)
Bespin Base CO
Bespin Base CO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More photos. Added more dirt/weathering, painted the interior black and added back the trim.

Rebel Legion Profile

Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, the red's better now. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 44 of 49

Jump to: