Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7aae8c0629608551213c4d02d0a148d5Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Reference drawing?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grizabella ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:34 am    Post subject: Reference drawing? Reply with quote

I am not sure if this is the right section for this topic but I am after someone that can draw me a reference drawing for a generic Jedi that is adopted to fit my uversize and curvy body and or give me inspiration for characters from Star Wars that might fit me and is aprovable.

You should have at least one costume aproved and a good understanding of how the different part of costumes comes together to look splendid on different body style and I would be glad if you either had some curves youreself or now someone who has.

I am of average length and late 40ties and I am quite found of species like Togruta and Twilek and is quite found of Ashoka Tano and Hera Seluda cause she has growed to be a favorite of mine after watching Rebels.

As for possible named characters inspiration I am thinking in line with but is not excluded to:

Ashoka
Hera
Greez
Prouf
Old Ben Kenobi from ANH
Old Luke from ROS
Eno Cordova

And a few others. Part of me would enjoy a female character but the rest is unsure if its doable with my body.

I love star wars but could also enjoy real icons like Navis and Cats.

These are the lines I think within for now - Let me know if there is any ideas, questions or takers. I pay for the reference art of course.
jasnoksieznik (Michal)
Rebel Legion Translation Team

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what do you mean by reference drawing. Generic jedi outfits have some typical properties, as written in the standards, which are quite strict. Those are unisex and achievable with different body types and in any age.
Note, that standards hardly ever mention any fixed sizes - for example outer tunic needs to be long enough to cover the funny bits at the bottom, regardless how much or how little fabric it takes.
There are also many freedoms you can take, e.g. sleeves may be wide as hell or fitted - choose whatever makes you feel more jedi.
The disadvantage of a generic jedi is, that you are not allowed to use uncommon clothing/accessories from face characters - e.g. Ahsoka's outfit is bare arms and no tunic. Your costume won't get approved, if you take some of her parts and some from generic jedi (exception: lightsaber of a face character is usually OK).

If you look for color/fabric matchups, this is highly independent of your body, maybe skin tone and hair may have impact. There is a prepared photoshop file somewhere in the forums, where you can click through colors for the clothing pieces, without need of drawing at all.
Some people post their own drawings to discuss ideas, sometimes resembling stickmen or cucumbers - this is absolutely ok, as long as the parts and lengths are distinguishable.
If you look for patterns, this may get difficult - there is the legendary simplicity pattern (dig through forums to find its number), but you sound like you may be off the scale. You may also take one of the patterns from tutorials and modify it to your needs. Do a mockup with cheap fabric, if in doubt.

For accessories, those depend on your budget (Leia's ceremonial necklace is a real thing and costs 2500EUR). If you decide to buy something generic, your options for e.g. inner belt buckle will be limited by the market. Generic jedi rarely have individual details.

Here, inspiration you will find:
http://www.kjo.rebellegion.com/?portfolio=generic-jedi-2
http://www.kjo.rebellegion.com/?portfolio=jedi-general
Study battle of Genosis, there is no other place with so many generic jedi in the same place.
I went for generic human jedi, next step is Zabrak generic jedi general. Building Togruta or Twilek parts is not my league.
Grizabella ()

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem for me is that I have so little knowledge in taking different costume parts and getting the arranged in a way that looks good on my body and the limitations I have to work with.

Sure I can see what others has done in the generic Jedi category and say that this look awesome and that wont fit me as well but I am clueless other than that and I am not really want to copy others work and I am not totaly sure what kind of characters Id enjoy being and what among those fits my body, age and gender as well.

I know whom I would like to be if I had the body for it but alas I would probebly feel a bit to unsecure and out of my comfort zone to be the likes of Ashoka and Hera and I probebly have more lee room to make a costume my own if I go with the generic Jedi option rather than one of the named characters, hence my question.
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do any character you want, but since you write curvy you might want to go for a flared tunic skirt and/or skirt instead of pants. Smile The obi and belt that goes around your waist tends to create a bit of a cinch there, and you can broaden your shoulders by using shoulder tucks under your tabards.
A good rule is to make the tabards as wide as your shoulder from the edge to side of neck. A slight curve to them can also make them seem even more feminine and easier to conform to the curves of the body.

As for colors you really have to go with something that you know works for your skin tone (and hair color).
Me, I can't wear bright greens or pale yellow. It just clashes with my skin tone. For others those colors look excellent. So pick something that suits you and make sure your colors are harmonius with one another and you should be set. Smile

Nordic Base BMO | DL of Aurora Delegation | CRC | She/Her They/Them

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Grizabella ()

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking in line with something that Shak Ti has or even a male variant of her. The skirt/dress tunic together with a vide belt and her tabard thing looks like it could work to smoth out a to big stomach. But I am unsure how it would look on me.

And I have a pretty pale skin to that goes in line with Obi and Luke.
jasnoksieznik (Michal)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a different approach to the costume. I may be wrong, but I'll try to explain:

Grizabella wrote:
Problem for me is that I have so little knowledge in taking different costume parts and getting the arranged in a way that looks good on my body and the limitations I have to work with.

What is your experience in sewing and cosplay? If you have any experience, feel free to jump to the next section Smile
In general, clothing is can be retail, made to measure or bespoke.
Retail is not really an option here (no off-the-shelf costume of certain size XS-XXL guarantees fitting and being approved, for any body size/type). Made to measure uses patterns, which have lines for different sizes. If you know you're wider or thinner here and there, you may adjust certain parts. This is a great thing. My tailor for wedding suit took ca. 30 different measures, to make sure every part is right. He even compensated my left-handiness to make me look straight. If at some points you don't fit into a pattern, you may extend it doing simple maths or scaling.
Bespoke is fully "custom made", where tailor would probably design a pattern and choose materials for you only.
In order to choose fabric and exact style, one needs approximately the same information on your idea, as the artist that would draw your reference, so I think for the costume, the drawing is redundant. For the sake of the drawing - if you want it, go for it! Amadalia
Typically, jedi costume is somewhere between made to measure and bespoke, as there is no licensed pattern for a jedi.
I took the pattern from here: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=82924
I thought the guy is similar size, I have some pounds more, so I'll widen it a bit and it will be great. I chose different material, and had no previous experience, so the result was a Gamorrean jedi instead of human. Nothing that couldn't be fixed. This is important - if you sew something loose, this can be fixed! If you leave generous hem allowances, too tight stuff can be made wider. It costs time and effort, but it's part of the hobby.

Grizabella wrote:

Good news - a generic jedi looks like Mace Windu - like a peasant that has stolen several linen bags and made clothes out of it. Or look at ANH Obi Wan - his outfit is so mediocre, generic, all-fitting and boring, that he just needed to go to poor planet of Tatooine and he blended in immediately - his inconspicuous disguise is actually still a jedi outfit! The same clothing rules apply for Obi Wan, Anakin, Deepa Billaba and, with minimal adjustments even Pong Krell!
Jedi are very inclusive and generic jedi outfit proves that - it works for everyone!
If you're concerned about fellow cosplayers disliking your costume - they are also very inclusive and if it is well made, fits you and canon, then you do it right and they'll like it. Its jedi order, not prom night.

Grizabella wrote:

Sure I can see what others has done in the generic Jedi category and say that this look awesome and that wont fit me as well but I am clueless other than that and I am not really want to copy others work ...

I wanted you to see, how different people already solved similar issues. You don't have to copy them, but look how many different people got approved and, if someone is of similar shape, check how well stuff works for them (sleeveless outer tunic, shoulder tucks, long tabards, wide obi, dark/light pants, central tabard, belt above/mid/below belly, armor pieces, loose/fitted sleeves etc.)

Grizabella wrote:

I know whom I would like to be if I had the body for it but alas I would probebly feel a bit to unsecure and out of my comfort zone to be the likes of Ashoka and Hera and I probebly have more lee room to make a costume my own if I go with the generic Jedi option rather than one of the named characters, hence my question.

If anything makes you uncomfortable, don't do it. I'm personally not a fan of too naked cosplays. Otherwise, everything is allowed. I'm not sure, if male slave Leia would get RL approved, but you can see those now and then, on conventions Surprised
You're right. If you want to do a face character, then the costume needs to fit you as good, as it fits the character. This reduces your freedoms may get awkward if your shape is too far from teen volleyball team and you try to impersonate Sailor Moon, Asokha or Ventress. But what about Barriss Offee, Luminara pr Adi Gallia?
Generic jedi is simpler, with wide robes, loose tunics and loose pants, all modestly fitted where it makes it more elegant.

Other sources of ideas and discussions are jedi facebook groups. There is "The art of generic jedi" group and I've found "Virtual Build Party" group, which makes weekly meetups - several girls meet up via webcams and talk about their current SW costuming projects.
Grizabella ()

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cos play experience is greater than my sewing skills to ask youre first question. I had both face characters like Cats costumes and none face characters like maskot but I prephere face characters since I am not athletic enough to move around at cons with limited vision like I assume the likes of Stormtroopers and Chewbacca has.

I know there is a lot of ideas to work with - Thats probebly the reason to why I have so much trouble of deciding on a character.

Part of my trouble is also that I fear that those "riding boots" the Jedi prephere would be a small nightmare to put on since I am by no means eager to use those kind of boots everyday due to my body needs.

I would like to play a female character and I seen many females play male character but I am not sure how well my bode lends to those characters I want and as someone on the nordic forum said I would prephere to be taken as said character over just being recognized as a cos player and that limits my options.

And yes I have seen pictures of male Slave Leia who done her great but probebly wont be accepted for Rebel legion cause its to far away from whats expected from her appearenece. I have seen a male doing Elsa and I have seen many females do great male characters so its a thing I am found of if I find the right character.
jasnoksieznik (Michal)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thinking is:
No Superman costume will let you fly. Darth Maul costume will not make you brutal and aggresive.
If I dress up as Yoda, I will not get wise, even if I speak backwards Razz

I chose generic jedi, cause jedi are cool and I like what they represent. Its more tribute than incorporation of their personality. I'll play the role for some kids, but putting on my costume does not make me less impatient.

I'd go for a named jedi, but the standards were too strict for my motivation/budget/schedule. I wanted to accomplish approval with feasible effort, given my inexperience. Plus, some parts (belt buckles etc.) were beyond my knowledge, how to procure them. They would mean crafting/designing/3D printing them myself. Or, in case of Mace Windu, I'd have to cut my hair, which is not an option.

Regarding boots - there are few options, e.g. if you go for jedi general, you can take white boots resembling those of clone troopers. Check out clone/stormtrooper shops for those.
Soviet officer's boots may not fit everyone, but do not reject equestrian boots. Just a century ago, people of all sizes were riding horses. All of them needed fitting boots. You may need to custom order them, but I'm sure that a good shoemaker will know how to craft them.
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grizabella, I see you're writing you're in the Nordic area. Which country are you from? I'm in Denmark and happy to help you figure out what to do here.

What you do is ultimately up to you as long as it's within the standards. Female or male presentation doesn't matter to the legion; we have an anti-dicrimination clause. The Rebel Legion would definitely approve a man doing Slave Leia (or Huttslayer Leia as most call her now) if we ever had someone apply with a properly made costume rather than the usual gag costumes. And that includes being clean shaven and having the right hair. Wink
As it stands we do have a couple of male handmaidens and gender and sex does not limit what costume or character you can do or are allowed to do. And as you yourself mentioned the legion is full of women doing male characters and we would be hypocrites if the same was not allowed the other way around or if we restricted non-binary and trans people's costume options.

If you want female presentation then go for it. Smile Here I'd recommend going with a long skirt, which would also help with the boots, since you can have shorter boots when your skirt basically covers them. (Equestrian boots is just one option among different kinds if boots). And if you're worried about not having enough of a shoulder-waist-hip ratio difference, then cheat and use padding and structured seams to give the illusion that you do. Wink Anybody can do this regardless of body type though it may require some help if you're not used to sewing and pattern construction.
And you can always use a bit of makeup and/or a wig to complete the look you want. Smile

Grizabella ()

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lora Skywalker, Id love to get some help in the decision process since I am totaly unsure on whats the best character for me. Can I PM you? I am from Stockholm in Sweden and I have been around the cons like Sci Fi World and Comic Con Stockholm for years so if you been around there anytime there is a chance you have seen me.

My biggest challenge when it comes to cos play is probably that I look to much like a "pregnant woman" and I feel that its limits the character choices a bit and it makes me more sensitive on choicing the right character since there is not that many overweight Star Wars characters to choice afterall - Not among the characters I am found of anyway. Id also like a character whom is on the older side like myself (I am close to 50 by now, yelps!) and tends to grow weight overtime. (and I am happy and acceptable with the body I got, but as I said earlier Id like to be taken as the character I choice over being seen as impersonator.)

And I do know that its more common to call Slave Leia Hutt slayer Leia these days but for me that costume will always be Slave Leia since its the name I grow up with. Its one of my favorite costumes in Star Wars and I admire those woman (and men) who can do her with all the self confidence her costume requires in my eyes. Meeting her at cons is among my most found memories from the years in this world.
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. Go ahead and pm me. Smile We do also have members in and around Stockholm, who should be able to give help in Swedish and locally. I don't know how often they arrange costume or armor parties, but those places can be a good place to get help. I'd definitely recommend getting in touch with the local members.
I have been to Stocholm con before, but it's been years since the last time. Would love to go again some day. Smile

As for not looking like a pregnant jedi, well, my sister was halfway through her pregnancy while wearing her generic jedi and people didn't even notice she was pregnant, so it's very forgiving in that regard. Wink It's really all about flare/fit and placement of the obi and belt. (Note: don't ever place the obi and belt low or under the belly; that will make it seem larger. Place both around the waist or just above).
You can also make a robe and use that to hide your profile if you think you look pregnant when seen from the side. A jedi costume can hide so much or change how you read the person and you can enhance or deflate almost any feature you want.
I know some who use shapewear underneath to slim down/hold in stomachs that tends to bellow out otherwise, so that's another option.

As for not looking like an impersonator; well, do you want a generic jedi (your own character and design) or a face character? I agree we don't have a ton of 50+ face characters. Old Ben and Old Luke, yes, but the choice does become smaller there. (Windu and Qui-Gon are two other options. And if non-jedi we also got Mon Mothma and General Leia).
But in truth, anybody doing a face character will be an impersonator no matter how close we are to the actor's body type. We play make believe and most people are perfectly willing to play along even if you're not a dead match for Ewan McGregor or Liam Neeson. Wink And they will often call you whatever name springs to their mind even if you're dressed as a completely different character. (Point: I am called Princess Leia half the time in my generic jedi simply because 1) I am a woman, 2) I have long hair. The public generally doesn't know better. I have also been called Anakin, Obi-Wan, Luke and Vader). Laughing

Grizabella ()

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill PM you then.

One would imagine that people could tell who the most easily recognized villain of all times is from all the other characters in this universe but Id guess its understandeble with some misstakes given how many characters the movies has given us. Afterall the prequells gives us so many variants on Jedi costume that even I lost count on them.

What I meant with Impersonater was that someone told me that they had seen people being asked away from Star Wars group photos cause they saw them as cos players rather than the character and I can totaly understand how that can hurt when you are enjoying a con with all youre legion and rebel friends.

I am hardly no match for any of the amazing star wars actors out there body size but I can at least try and find a character thats great for me, right?
jasnoksieznik (Michal)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've been called a samurai, while wearing generic Jedi costume.

Just to clarify: on this forum, a face character is not someone who shows his/her face, but someone, who has a face and a name. This is regardless of masks/helmets etc.
Generic Jedi or resistance pilot are faceless, Plo Koon is a face character.
Grizabella ()

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, thats great to know since in my world a face character is someone who show the actors face while a none face character has a mask of some sort as the likes of Vader and Stormtrooper has.

As I see it a none named (none face) character like a generic Jedi or X wing pilot would give you a bit more freedom to adjust the costume to youre own body so to say.
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Vader is also a face character, but a stormtrooper is not. Smile Same with Anakin being a face character, but a clone trooper is not.
Rebel pilots can go both ways; you can choose one specific or be your own character.
Padmé is also a face character, but a handmaiden isn't, because they are supposed to be anonymous and appear as a group. (But you can always decide you are a specific one if you want).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: