Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7ef46fddb80442812caaa503e099d5afMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Huttslayer/Sandstorm Leia WiP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogueCosplayGrrl (Allana Myers)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:26 pm    Post subject: Huttslayer/Sandstorm Leia WiP Reply with quote

Hey everybody!!!! Getting close to being able to submit Huttslayer and Sandstorm Leia and realized i forgot to make a build thread. So let me know what ya think, pics in the link below.

http://imgur.com/a/9Yh5iRk
naberrie ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey!

congrats on getting to the end of a build, itís always a tiring process but super rewarding when you get it right!

A few things I would watch out for, the chain links on the collar. Leias have thicker coils of decoration and are silver with copper decoration, Iíll try and link a nice reference below for you. I canít tell if yours are gold or silver, but that might just be the reflective paint and my eyes...

Do you have boots for the toppers?
I have some good links to boots that have been approved in the past, I can try dig those up for you if need be.

I think the judges would also need to clarify that the boots and bra material are a good match, and that the colour is on the right scale. The material looks a little dark to me, hers is more olive and a matte suede type fabric. However Iím not a LCJ so I wouldnít take my word, just try and compare it to references so you can justify it as accurate for judging Smile

I understand if you would be uncomfortable posting these on the forum because itís a very... ahem.... vulnerable costume to wear. From experience haha. But the fit and proportion of the costume will also be very important to whether itís clearable or not.

Overall, as long as youíve tried your best, itís all that matters. Feedback can just help implement some little changes, And preempt it, before judges may come back with it anyway.

I love the colour of your skirts though, To me I think itís just a perfect wine colour! Smile

Great job so far, and if thereís anything else, just let us know! Love n light

Beth
Member; RAID, UCGR, KJO, RLGS.
they/them/she/her
naberrie ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/slave-leia-costume.html

There are some really great stock photos at the top of the costume on display, theyíre watermarked of course, but high quality so you can really see the colours and thickness of the chain links, as well as the khaki/olive bra colour in direct light.

I do think the colour of your bra might still be good to clear though, because there are some shots in the film where the bra does look that darker olive/army green colour, compared to the khaki that the costume is in reality.

hope this helps, even just a lil! Smile

Beth[/img]
they/them/she/her
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naberrie wrote:
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/slave-leia-costume.html

There are some really great stock photos at the top of the costume on display, theyíre watermarked of course, but high quality so you can really see the colours and thickness of the chain links, as well as the khaki/olive bra colour in direct light.

I do think the colour of your bra might still be good to clear though, because there are some shots in the film where the bra does look that darker olive/army green colour, compared to the khaki that the costume is in reality.

hope this helps, even just a lil! Smile

Beth[/img]

Thank you!!! I was a bit suspect about the chain links.

The standard does say medium gray colour is also acceptable which is what I had to use to match to the boots as I couldn't find any olive green ones that work (curse of being a trans woman)
naberrie ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it likely wonít be an issue as long as your boots are the same or very similar to the bra colour, thatís the more important part Smile

There is a range of colours that have been approved in the past, and screenshots from scenes on jabbas barge, her bra looks a lot darker, so a medium grey will likely be all good if you use them as reference!

If you have the time, clearance photos would be great to show the whole costume and fit of it! But if youíre uncomfortable posting these on the forum due to the nature of the costume, thatís obviously all good too : )

As I said, anythin else anyone can help with, donít hesitate to reach out! best of luck with your clearance!

love n light
Beth
they/them/she/her
LeiaAurora ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good! I had mentioned the weathering to you on Facebook. How do your earrings look?
Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Padme Amidala Deleted Scene/Padme Amidala Olive gown/Cobb Vanth with armor
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeiaAurora wrote:
Looks good! I had mentioned the weathering to you on Facebook. How do your earrings look?

I knew I forgot something! Here's a pic with both the pierced and non pierced options.

http://imgur.com/a/PVQn5lU

Now about the weathering. I was actually going to ask you for clarification on how you did that?
LeiaAurora ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RogueCosplayGrrl wrote:
LeiaAurora wrote:

Now about the weathering. I was actually going to ask you for clarification on how you did that?

My build thread shows all the steps I made and even lists the supplies I used!
Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Padme Amidala Deleted Scene/Padme Amidala Olive gown/Cobb Vanth with armor
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
naberrie ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=83980

heres the link to the WIP mentioned above! lots of great info on there!

your earrings look great, the pierced option is really nice. I'd be a lil worried the non-pierced option might be a wee bit big, it'd be really great to see them on or next to a ruler to get a sense of the scale! : )
they/them/she/her

Last edited by naberrie () on Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
naberrie ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry i forgot to mention too! i used this method on my own bikini (although havent started the WIP yet Shocked

and works great on other items you want to look like 'aged metal'.

you can buy brown furniture wax or similar, and buff this into all the grooves and texture, lightly with a brush or small sponge

orrrrr (and this is my preferred option) make an acrylic wash with roughly 40/60 ratio of dark brown or black paint and water. brush this on really liberally and give it a minute or two to settle into the grooves and pick up the texture and indents, then wipe it allll off with a kitchen towel or napkin. this will remove a majority of the wash but leave it imbedded in all the little crevices that the napkin didnt reach. let it dry and preserve with a spray varnish!

theres a few videos on both techniques, on youtube and otherwise. 'acrylic wash weathering' should bring up some good tutorials. weathering really helps details pop and showcases the sculpt so much, as well as getting the costume more accurate in this case! Very Happy
they/them/she/her
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly Imgur will not show the images to me, but it sounds like things are going well. Smile

And I agree with the blackwash; it is a well-tested method of weathering props and figurines and pretty easy to do.

Good luck with the rest!

Nordic Base BMO | DL of Aurora Delegation | CRC | She/Her They/Them

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: