Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f22b02ef50f85fd32b8cab5129346740Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Question about Jedi fabric thickness and layering and heat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stock ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Question about Jedi fabric thickness and layering and heat Reply with quote

Hello!

I'm in the process of designing a set of Jedi tunics and was wondering what thoughts you all have in regards to finding a balance between achieving a nice, luxurious look to the tunics and being able to comfortably wear them in southern California heat.

I've definitely decided that it's important to me to use a double layer of linen for the outer tunic to get the look I want, but I'm having trouble deciding if I want the inner tunic (full, not a dickey for now) in a single or double layer of crinkle cotton gauze.

I might end up getting a dickey at some point for flexibility's sake, but I'm curious if anybody has any thoughts or experiences that could help me.

Thanks so much!
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otherwise go with the more expensive, but cooler option, of silk for the IT. Smile In general natural fibers will help you a lot, but silk is the lightest and coolest you can get, though linen is also a great choice.

Nordic Base BMO | DL of Aurora Delegation | CRC | She/Her They/Them

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

jasnoksieznik (Michal)
Rebel Legion Translation Team

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Single layer cotton IT and bit thicker single layer cotton OT works for me above 15degC on a calm day. I don't think you need more than that. Tabards and obi each add a double layer of fabric, so there are places you have 6 layers of fabric.
You can sew IT to have a collar as high, as possible. Otherwise, there is little visible and single layer would cover more.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a poly/cotton inner tunic, and linen outer tunic, and am very pleased with the results. (Cotton would be just fine for the IT as well) I went with linen for my cloak as well. As you noted, the cooler the better for trooping here in SoCal!

The warning above about the Obi and tabards is well-taken, too. Those things definitely add a lot of extra insulation over key heat areas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: