Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8a27f342e437b7ebaf56e7ec3979f99cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Black Lives Matter Support
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roark ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that racism can come from ignorance, but it is simply unacceptable to base our actions on the fear of people with hateful beliefs getting offended. It does not change the fact that racism is bad and speaking out against it is the right thing to do.
Rocinante ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not welcome anyone who values another person based on the color of their skin, sex, religion, country of origin, or any other thing people choose to lord over each other. Racism is not acceptable and it is no longer even tolerable in the slightest.

That should be more important than someone’s precious feelings. So many companies and organizations, including LFL have taken a very strong pro-Black Lives Matter stance. Without any sacrifice of the message.

So why would we do any less than that? I stand by Jen’s comments and echo that we must be strong and let those who would stand for racist ideology, we don’t welcome you.
xAlpha (Robert Paul)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now is not the time for milquetoast, wishy-washy statements that protect the feelings of racists and bigots. And it sure can't make our members of color feel safe.

Black lives matter.

Say it.
millie_halprin (Millie Halprin)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocinante wrote:
I do not welcome anyone who values another person based on the color of their skin, sex, religion, country of origin, or any other thing people choose to lord over each other. Racism is not acceptable and it is no longer even tolerable in the slightest.

That should be more important than someone’s precious feelings. So many companies and organizations, including LFL have taken a very strong pro-Black Lives Matter stance. Without any sacrifice of the message.

So why would we do any less than that? I stand by Jen’s comments and echo that we must be strong and let those who would stand for racist ideology, we don’t welcome you.

This
Valiant Command Post, Duty Officer 2020 - 2021
Approved Costumes: Hero Rey, Training Rey, Jakku Rey, Kaydel Ko Connix
Thanamira (Dave Leung)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a small thing to say "Black Lives Matter".

Those in leadership who cannot do so should ask themselves: why have they not resigned? Why have they not stepped down?

I don't say that they should do so in disgrace, or that they are bad people, or are ethically or morally wayward. Rather, I say that because in this moment of testing, they are failing, and they should make room for others to take up the reins.

Your friends have come forward to remind you to do the right thing, and not the easy thing.

And if I may be so bold: once you do so, you may find that a great burden is lifted off your shoulders, for you are thinking with empathy of all those who are affected by this systemic oppresion, and not in anxiety of what this or that person may say.

President, Boston Lightsaber Stage Combat Club
Approved costumes: Jedi Knight (generic) | X-wing pilot (TLJ briefing room)
Photo by Benn Robbins Photography
Shrey ()
Endor Base XO
Endor Base XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the intent was good, but unfortunately the initial statement and the clarifications appear to prioritize not making waves and not offending some people who don't get a "hashtag" over actual Black lives, which is... not great. It almost would be better to make no statement then to make one so wishy-washy. While having a consulting panel or something that is more diverse than current command staff is good, having CS itself be more diverse would help more. If Legion truly wants POC to feel supported in the club and be on CS, prioritizing people who might be offended by "Black Lives Matter" is totally contrary.

We are at a long-past due watershed moment and to choose a "The Rebellion supports peaceful protest" approach is super unfortunate.

Last edited by Shrey () on Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
longshot7014 (William Holmes)
Legion CO
Legion CO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Paris Support Badge (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legionnaires,

Inclusion and acceptance of the diverse culture of the Star Wars fandom is an integral part of who we are. Our members are right to question what we are going to do to improve it. In fact, Council has been discussing this topic as events have unfolded. This is a discussion that needs to continue and will continue and will include talking with people from our community that represent the true diversity that is the Rebel Legion.

This is going to take some time, to ensure that we get it right... so I do ask for some patience while we work through this!
The Rebel Legion stands with Lucasfilm and supports the movement of Black Lives Matter.

As always, I am open to suggestions you can email me at LCO@rebellegion.com or Rick Bouwhuis at LXO@rebellegion.com or if you wish you can email the entire LAC at council@rebellegion.com

—Bill

Larirenshadow (Jen)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

longshot7014 wrote:
This is going to take some time, to ensure that we get it right... so I do ask for some patience while we work through this!
The Rebel Legion stands with Lucasfilm and supports the movement of Black Lives Matter.

Then it should have been on the post.
DoodleSpork (Sloane)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larirenshadow wrote:
longshot7014 wrote:

Then it should have been on the post.

Agree with this. It's great that the Legion supports the movement, but that statement should be made very clear across all platforms, and not simply to legion members that bothered to check the forums.
longshot7014 (William Holmes)
Legion CO
Legion CO

Medals: 6 (View more...)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standby and wait for the post please.

Bill

luckyxero ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe this is even being debated......

They can paint it on the streets of DC LEGALLY before this Legion can type it on an electronic statement. Command staff should be embarrassed.

If it isn't obvious enough.... BLACK LIVES MATTER.
RebelinPaisley ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

longshot7014 wrote:
Standby and wait for the post please.

Bill

Thank you. I look forward to further information in the coming days/weeks.
Christo Solo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came here to say that John Boyega isn’t worried about offending anyone. Take a stand for what is right and don’t mince words. We are beyond being “polite”. Black lives matter.
Gregory ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/85432848204/posts/10158476723618205/

Thank you.
Olympia, WA, USA
Joebiwan ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Lives absolutely matter. That statement should come easy to the group that represents the Rebellion, the fight against tyranny and inequality. If you can't agree to that, you're NOT one of the good guys.

The REBEL LEGION in the movies and books were freedom fighters. BLM is about the lack of freedom and equality our brothers and sisters of color suffer through daily. I am absolutely a Rebel and if you aren't, why be in this group?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: