Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4f8aa6ac98f28f7b128e9af45c7fd6abMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Black Lives Matter Support
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naberrie ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also really like to hear how the Council and CS has followed up on their statement posted on June 6th.

Have we started a panel or implemented different viewpoints, after reaching out to Ladies of the Legion, Pride Squad, Galaxy of Colour etc. yet? and have we posted on the forums to ask any of our members if they would like to be involved in this secondary panel?

what are some true commitments we can make as a club?
Member; RAID, UCGR, KJO, RLGS.
she/they
Thorn_Korrd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naberrie wrote:
I’m unsure if it’s a ‘lost in translation’ or misunderstood sentence. But referring to Asian or Indigenous communities as ‘red or yellow’ is outdated at best and insensitive or disrespectful at worst.

You either support them all or none of them.
That's what I'm saying and that's why singling out a slogan like BLM is the wrong thing to do.

I'd find it easier to show support against Human Trafficking as it includes victims of both sexes and all colors without excluding one or several of them.
naberrie ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thorn_Korrd wrote:
naberrie wrote:
I’m unsure if it’s a ‘lost in translation’ or misunderstood sentence. But referring to Asian or Indigenous communities as ‘red or yellow’ is outdated at best and insensitive or disrespectful at worst.

You either support them all or none of them.
That's what I'm saying and that's why singling out a slogan like BLM is the wrong thing to do.

I'd find it easier to show support against Human Trafficking as it includes victims of both sexes and all colors without excluding one or several of them.

I hope it was clear enough in my previous reply but of course, we should support all struggles and situations of injustice. However the struggle Black people are facing at the moment, and have been for centuries, is acute. So that is what would require support just now. I would really hope nobody within this club would support ‘none of them’.

If a house were burning down, and we threw water on it. That doesn’t mean we don’t care about everyone’s house or place to live. It just means we recognise a specific area needs acute support right now.

We need a form of equity, not complete equal treatment. Because unfortunately, people of different races, genders, and sexualities are not treated equally from the world as a whole. that’s why I believe intersectionality is really important too, everyone’s characteristics will make up how they are treated by the world. So equitable support is needed for different causes, even if it is not the exact same.

i.e. human trafficking, movements of that nature and charities which support the liberation of victims. Of course i would support that too. But personally, I think we can support more than one movement for a fairer world at a time. It doesn’t need to be limited to a singular issue. If you know a group or charity that could be brought awareness or donations to, that could always be an important thing to be talked about or you could start a thread on such! :+)

I hope that cleared up what I was trying to say a little bit :+)
she/they
Thorn_Korrd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess all I can offer is to agree to disagree.
Maybe it is that this hype to support BLM, taking a knee, apologizing for being white and all that jazz is an American "problem".
This, after all, is supposed to be an international club and maybe we need to realize that not all members from all around the globe can or are willing to stand behind what a part of the membership considers right.

There are too many stains on BLM's shirt to make them a good cause.
naberrie ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thorn_Korrd wrote:
I guess all I can offer is to agree to disagree.
Maybe it is that this hype to support BLM, taking a knee, apologizing for being white and all that jazz is an American "problem".
This, after all, is supposed to be an international club and maybe we need to realize that not all members from all around the globe can or are willing to stand behind what a part of the membership considers right.

There are too many stains on BLM's shirt to make them a good cause.

Nobody is apologising for being white... just hoping we can do better to support all of our members. Self-flaggelating in the name of the past isn’t productive, but commitment to do better in the future is.

I’m not sure if you’ve realised, but I’m also European and not American, racism and anti-black sentiment is not only an American issue. In fact, far from it. There are no stains on the movement of anti-racism. If you’re commenting on the organisation, that is a separate entity from the movement as a whole.

I respect that a lot of us may have different viewpoints, but I’m not willing to agree to disagree on the issue of anti-black racism, or racism and bigotry as a whole. :+)

I feel this is becoming counterproductive and don’t want this to be a means to derail. so would just like to ask again, what changes have been made by the council and command staff since we committed to working harder on June 6th?

I also really hope everyone is still coping well in this stressful time, much love
she/they
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privilege is when you think something is not a problem because it's not a problem for you.
We are all part of the Human Race. We are all in this together.

When they came for everyone else, I did not speak out. Because I was selfish and felt I was not part of any of "those groups" and it did not affect me personally...

When they came for me, there was no one left to speak for me.

If you have any questions, please see my previous two posts. Mr. Green
Thorn_Korrd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediXXL wrote:

Indeed.
So why not clearly state that all lives matter?
naberrie ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thorn_Korrd wrote:
JediXXL wrote:

Indeed.

As was said really quite eloquently above me, yes. We are all in this together, and that means standing up and supporting all of our siblings when they are facing a very acute problem. If you don’t stand in solidarity while others need support, who will be there to stand with you if the time comes.

I think it’s also quite selective to only recognise that sentence of Gil’s post.

I feel we have all made our viewpoints very clear. Others have explained why ‘black lives matter’ as a movement is needed, it’s been exemplified very clearly, several times, to both yourself personally, and anyone reading this thread at large. Playing ‘devils advocate’ when the information has already been exchanged and explained, is counterproductive and dismissive of people who have taken the time to give a clear explanation of the ideology for you.

Of course all of our lives matter and are valuable, that’s a given. however until Black lives matter to much of western society at large, ‘all lives matter’ is an untruthful statement.

As I’ve posted previously, I personally feel this conversation is becoming counterproductive and derailing the progress this thread was trying to encourage. Abrupt or obtuse answers don’t facilitate healthy discussion or change. I’d just like to gently nudge the thread away from back and forth, onto again asking for a clear answer as to what affirmative action has been taken since the public statement on the RL social media pages.

all the best :+)
she/they
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thorn_Korrd wrote:
JediXXL wrote:

Indeed.

...And that is why you fail. Rolling Eyes

I cannot teach him. Yoda
Thorn_Korrd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this, gentlebeings, is why a club like the RL should stay as far away from political issues as possible.
I rest my case.
strider (Tim Helbing)
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Medals: 9 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2015 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to remind everyone while we want you to feel free to speak your minds, there are boundaries. Keep it polite, keep it respectful.

I'll leave this here in case anyone needs to refresh their memories: http://newsite.rebellegion.com/legion-charter/#7
AladdinMark ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thorn_Korrd wrote:
And this, gentlebeings, is why a club like the RL should stay as far away from political issues as possible.
I rest my case.

Human rights are not a political issue.
TI-60186
naberrie ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi gang, it’s been over a month since I had inquired again, and over 3 since our public post to ‘do better’. and still no word on what progress we have made or actions have been taken.

Personally, I would really love to hear what we have committed to, and what we are doing now to encourage progress. the MMCC recently made a donation to the NAACP legal fund, and put their statements into action.

It’s been over 3 months and although election time is busy, it seems to be a statement has been made but we haven’t actually taken visible affirmative action. I’m sure a lot of our membership would like a little transparency about what is happening, in terms of the proposed diversity panel, or ‘talking to people from our community that represent true diversity’.

As always, hope everyone is staying safe in these strange times. love n light : )
she/they
Captblitzdawg ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stick to the words of Jesus- "Love your neighbor as you would love yourself" and "do unto others as you would have them do unto you."
I'm not perfect and don't always achieve this standard, but it is the best, clearest and most honest one for me to follow.
Baris_Alrisul ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captblitzdawg wrote:
I stick to the words of Jesus- "Love your neighbor as you would love yourself" and "do unto others as you would have them do unto you."
I'm not perfect and don't always achieve this standard, but it is the best, clearest and most honest one for me to follow.

While this is a great life philosophy, becoming an equitable club in an unequitable world isn't something that will happen without specific, active effort. The Black Lives Matter movement has highlighted the existing structural inequity on the US in regards to the treatment of black people specifically. Staying silent in the face of structural racism is definitely not compatible with our mission as a club, as folks have discussed on this thread in the past. I would also be interested to hear what specific initiatives are underway in the Legion on this front, and what the statuses of those initiatives are.

Charter Review Committee US Representative
KJO Costume Captain for the Prequel Trilogy
DL of Eadu Delegation
Pride Squadron Mod

Leia (Senatorial, Ceremonial, ESB, and Marvel Jedi)
Resistance X-wing Pilot (Human/Pantoran TFA and Briefing Room)
Jedi (Human/Pantoran)
Depa Billaba
Amilyn Holdo
Jawa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: