Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=416211101469eeab2e1a1c23d596fc29Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Black Lives Matter Support
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captblitzdawg ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should stick to what we do best- be a fan group that visits children in hospitals, homeless and domestic violence shelters, make wishes come true, etc. That is why I joined this group. Not for going to conventions. Not for making costumes. And certainly not for politics. I am beginning to see Gina Carano's point of view.....
Thorn_Korrd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as BLM and Antifa groupies are celebrating cowardly acts like the attempted assassination on the two LASD Deputies and destroying other people's property in what they consider protests, I refuse to give these beings one inch of anything and suggest the RL stay away from them as far as possible.
You can associate with them all you want.
I will not.
Never. Ever.
AladdinMark ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captblitzdawg wrote:
I think we should stick to what we do best- be a fan group that visits children in hospitals, homeless and domestic violence shelters, make wishes come true, etc. That is why I joined this group. Not for going to conventions. Not for making costumes. And certainly not for politics. I am beginning to see Gina Carano's point of view.....

A successful organization is one that recognizes when change is needed. If we do not make the effort to learn, and then grow from that new knowledge, then we not only fail as an organization but as human beings. I'll say it again, human rights are not politics. If we continue to "stay in our lane", "stay out of politics", or "just stick to what we do" then we are effectively sending a clear message to the members within our own organization who have been continually affected in a negative way, that we do not value them. That we do not support them. That we do not care about them. Is that the message we wish to speak?

One final note...Gina Carano has recently been posting some transphobic stuff on her social media accounts. Do be careful when trying to align with her viewpoint, because you would also be agreeing with anti trans rhetoric.
TI-60186
Captblitzdawg ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no way I can be PC enough for all this. Each of you as individuals are entitled to your beliefs and opinions. Amazingly enough, so am I. If you need to draft a statement or choose sides to be able to virtue signal that you are helping others, then so be it. I will continue to live my life in service to others in a way that I believe is tangible (because I have seen the results). I am not blindly putting my name to causes, organizations or movements that I may not agree with, whether wholly or in part. If that is going to become a requirement of the Rebel Legion, then go ahead and dismiss me from the group for thinking for myself.
Captblitzdawg ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boop/Bop/Beep is not transphobic, unless someone wants to receive it as such. To me it sounds like droid!
AladdinMark ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captblitzdawg wrote:
Boop/Bop/Beep is not transphobic, unless someone wants to receive it as such. To me it sounds like droid!

Frankly, it doesn't matter what you think it sounds like. Unless you are a Trans person, you not get to decide what is or is not transphobic or otherwise hurtful to the Trans community. If someone were to say to me "hey, you hurt me", I don't get to decide that I didn't.
TI-60186
Captblitzdawg ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for turning this into a debate, because that is not what I intended to do. What I wanted to do was raise caution and have us think about, as an organization, who we are aligning ourselves with and distancing ourselves from (both intentionally and unintentionally)and ask if this couldn't be better achieved in other organizations if people felt so inclined. As I said before, if the ability to think or speak as an individual is not what this group wants- if the group wants to be a hive-mind, that is fine. Just know I will have no part in such a thing. I will rebel. And I will do so with no malice or ill will. It simply would not be for me and I would respectfully get out of the way.
naberrie ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the thread is being derailed into personal arguments. That isn’t the direction nor intention of this conversation at large anymore. I had no intention of causing argument by posting again asking for an update. The statement was made that we would make decisions as a club to be more inclusive and supportive of ALL our members and their communities. If anyone has an issue with anti-racism advocacy, i feel that the honour of entering some very vulnerable spaces (domestic violence shelters, children’s hospitals, schools) should be carefully considered. As many have said previously in the thread, there are many resources. It is not extremist nor necessarily political to say black lives matter. And I would also say, to some degree if you wish to tar everyone with the same brush for saying BLM, you would also need to be as critical of any other person who uses a different unifying slogan.

Everyone is entitled to their own personal opinion, however I feel now at this point in the conversation and on this thread which is being geared towards affirmative action, is not the place to do it. Especially bringing up topics which are of no relevance to this specific ongoing conversation I.e. Gina Carano’s recent behaviour, potential transphobic remarks, attempted murder of officers, what the Bible teaches. None of which are benefitting or enriching this specific conversation, nor were mentioned elsewhere. I personally feel it is derailing and devaluing the aim at large.

I, and several others, were simply checking up on certain initiatives which were discussed and certain actions that were going to be taken, and what progress has been made on them. devolving into arguments, I don’t think that was anyone’s aim.

once again, I would be really interested to hear what we have done since our June 6th statement, love and light to all. : )

All the best
Member; RAID, UCGR, KJO, RLGS.
she/they

Last edited by naberrie () on Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
KristenLeiaOhanyanJedi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also like to know the status since the June discussion and the corresponding RL public statements on social media at that time. Perhaps shifting this away from debate into what can be constructively done moving forward?

Was a "Diversity & Inclusivity Committee" formed?
What new protocols have been established to make everyone feel welcome in the legion?

Our legion is like a microcosm of the larger world we all share, which is filled with wonderfully diverse communities. It's been great to see other (non SW) fandoms become supportive allies with the real-world struggles of human rights without being "politcal". Showing solidarity with human rights causes doesn't have to be political -- it's just being a good human. After all, these struggles also affect our own legion sisters & brothers, our neighbors, our relatives and ourselves.

I have years of experience composing statements on social media for 501c3 nonprofits relevant to intersectional issues, natural disasters, festivals and would be happy to help RL craft more culturally sensitive statements. Please reach out if I can help!

Any updates on forming a committee or ways to help bring more unity and inclusion would be appreciated. I want to thank Mark for starting such a timely and relevant discussion back in June. It sounds like there are at least a few of us who want to help.

Thanks!

Follow my adventures in leading the rebellion at "The Adventures of a Rebel Princess"
@RebelPrincessAdventures
longshot7014 (William Holmes)
Legion CO
Legion CO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Paris Support Badge (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am checking and updating as much as I can due to elections going on. I spoke to the LCOG to get permission to speak in this thread without violating our campaigning rules. I appreciate everyone's comments and input.

First, I would encourage everyone in this thread to address all the candidates from Base level, LAC, and LCO with their questions on how the candidates will handle this in the next administration.

Second, I encourage you all to run and help make changes in policy that you feel should be done. Election time is where we all can make the most difference.

As far as your current administration, we have ideas we are working that I can better address in the question and answer session that all the candidates to fairly answer. I will not make this an election platform here in this thread.

Thanks,

--Bill

JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thorn_Korrd wrote:
As long as BLM and Antifa groupies are celebrating cowardly acts like the attempted assassination on the two LASD Deputies and destroying other people's property in what they consider protests, I refuse to give these beings one inch of anything and suggest the RL stay away from them as far as possible.
You can associate with them all you want.
I will not.
Never. Ever.

Why are you still deadhorse You have made it clear for all to see where you stand on this... How fortunate you are not to live in the USA. Mr. Green

Two things:

1). Yes, systemic racism can exist without you experiencing it or being affected by it personally.

2). It's a privilege to lose interest in dismantling racism.

Thorn_Korrd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad I've made my position clear.
BTW: not living in the States now doesn't mean that I've not lived there at all.
In fact, I enjoyed my time over there a lot and I'm sad to see how certain things have developed.
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you're in the right organization? Rolling Eyes

There is no room for racism in the Rebel Legion.

* Mike Drop *

I have no more time for you. lock
strider (Tim Helbing)
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Medals: 9 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2015 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has more than served it's purpose. I've left it open under the belief that members could argue without being disrespectful to each other. Don't make me change my mind.
luke9511 ()

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I am allowed to reply as a non-member so an admin can delete if they so wish,

but one of the things that attracted me to both the Rebel Legion and the 501st Legion is the HUGE love for Star Wars as well as the charitable work you all do to bring smiles and happiness to people!

But when I saw posts from both about the support for BLM I was saddened,
as I couldn't believe that either group would support an organization that wants to destroy and burn cities or

Harassing people as they eat at restaurants and other bad infractions and as to get their point across rather than sitting down and having a discussion and as such I feel like I can no longer support the Rebel Legion or 501st Legion if they support a political organization such as BLM

and by doing so they will alienate not just current members who feel the same but also any future members who may have wanted to join but no longer want too

I might be only one person but one person can become two and two become four and so on and so on until you're only left with people who will agree and support only what certain people here say.

Both Legions need to take the same stance as the gaming community I have been of member of for seventeen years and that is to ban all political discussion as to not alienate anyone or that might cause some to hate one or more people

due to their political thoughts, I doubt this will happen and I know I will get a bunch of HATE for what I have said and I may even get banned from the site

I read through this whole post and see there are a few who think the legion shouldn't support BLM but it looks like the Majority have the authority over the Minority as more want to support and I find this extremely sad that at least it seems like one group has more say than another
but I've said and made my peace and I hope maybe some good can come from it.

I wish you all the best in everything that you do.

May the force be with you....always
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: