About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=90875109eff82039db2f0df779b920d8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

WIP: Kimelius' Ep VI Pathfinder/Commando
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimelius ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: WIP: Kimelius' Ep VI Pathfinder/Commando Reply with quote

Wasn't sure where to put this, so I tyhought I'd start my own thread and takeit from here (if this is wrong, my apologies, please relocate as required)

So here goes: Helmet sans doughnut:

Cheeks (?) test & adjust, ready to be attached:

Last edited by Kimelius () on Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Kimelius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visor:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Kimelius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Central ribbing (polarfleece & t-shirt sandwich):

Ribbing (from t-shirt sleeves):

Kimelius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In lieu of a hard plastic 1, a makeshift doughnut, courtesy of a 2nd hand bike helmet:

More of a concept thing to help me visualise the final result while I'm waiting Wink
Kimelius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Velcro in place to secure future doughnut
Kimelius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vultured some open weave cotton tops to make a hooded jacket

Kimelius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For pants, the base items is an old set of 3-Colour Desert BDU's:

Modified thigh pocket:

Faux calf pocket (made from jacket's scrap fabric)

Last edited by Kimelius () on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Kimelius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roping or rigger's gloves:

"LeatherStipper" to remove top gloss, ADF camouflage cream to weather, followed by beeswax to re-nourish:

To secure, the waist adjusters off the BDU pants (less canon, more practical):

_Master_Skywalker_ ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lookin' great mate- awesome !!

dirk steele (karl)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmmm yogurt.. Razz
looks great .
Novahawk ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the correct gloves *that* hard to find? I found tons at a local Tuesday morning for around $2 a pair. Got to be easier than modifying existing ones.

- Lao-Jon Yung, Jedi Knight
- Lt Jak "Novahawk" Hunter, X-wing pilot and A-wing pilot Warhawk Squadron
- Sgt Zev Youngblood, Rebel Commando
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to nit-pick, but the desert camo pants are not acceptable for the Endor Trooper. The camo pattern is very specific and there aren't any off-the-shelf patterns that match. Sad

If you check out the Endor Trooper Resources thread at the top of this forum, you can find a list of the fabric paint colors used to make the camo pattern. It also has a link to some gloves that are very close to the screen-used ones.

I'll add a link to that list that shows the painting scheme for the camo pattern. BrieKalan is our "artist in residence" for that. Smile

Also, for those who are patient, I will be making more Endor Trooper vests beginning July/August timeframe.

Last edited by Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley) on Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done this costume, and have studied the pieces at length, so please take this as constructive crticism.

I would have tried to match the fabric for the bill and ribbed piece more closely to the soft helmet, I think it's going to look strange, definitely like they are seperate pieces not one unit.

I don't remember any funky diagonal pockets on the movie pants. They are in a different spot that normal off-the-rack cargo pants, but they are vertical.

Are you waiting for a plastic donut? Or to make a new one out of foam or some other material?

If you're making a new one, I'm sure you're going to make improvements, right? The concept one is a tad short, and should be more tapered in at the top. Also, there are only 8 "vents" at the back, and they are centered in the indented area.

I like your idea of using the waist adjusters from your BDU pants on the gloves. I think most people just let their gloves weather naturally, instead of going to such lengths, though they definitely look weathered.
Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kimelius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for you thoughts everyone. Its why I posted the pics in the 1st place...

Re: gloves - a lot of the US based suppliers wont ship to Australia nor is there equivalent stock here, so I opted for the most basic to begin with.

Re: 3-Color bdus - I should have taken a pic of the scrap fabric camm'd up as per said tutorial but using model paint - looked good, but yes went hard even after handwashing in wool mix.

I'm not sold on the calf pocket either - but those can be unpicked if necessary

Re: helmet and fabric - despite the 'military' nature of fashion here in Melbourne, its been difficult to find a khaki thats even close to the anh-15
I can only hope to blend them in when it come to weathering the entire unit.

Re: doughnut - I will keep an eye out for the plastic kits mention elsewhere.
DesTROYer ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice progress Kim. Nugget and I are watching carefully. Don't worry people, Kim has a great eye for detail and I know he won't except it himself if it don't look exactly right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: