Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1fb3e6b2981cf9ee414ed622ea892dbcMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Padme Dark Blue Tatooine Poncho Rebuild from 2006

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benae Quee (Kristin Sirota)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Padme Dark Blue Tatooine Poncho Rebuild from 2006 Reply with quote

Seeing as I'm stuck at home during the weekends (I already WFH for the last 5 years), I decided to dig out something I started a LONG time ago... practically in a galaxy far far away lol. In 2006 I started working on the Dark Blue Poncho. A friend at the time had bought all the pieces to make it herself and then decided SW wasn't for her any longer and sold all the materials to me for half her cost.

I made the under dress first by doing the "Fortuny Fake" method (https://www.grimildemalatesta.com/fortuny-experiments/) to a cotton fabric. I'm happy enough with that part and will probably keep my under dress. I then started on the poncho itself. I am so glad I never finished this thing, because the original poncho was a disaster inside. From the outside, it looked good enough in shape and sizing. The inner seams were a mess LOL I had also opted to try and paint the sleeves and while one worked out well enough, I ran out of the original paint and my new paint was a horrible mess. It was after making a mess with the new paint that I stashed this project away for another day. Well, it's now another day... 14 years later!

Actually, I lost the dress for about 5 years and could not find it! I worried that I had accidentally thrown it out during a move years prior. While cleaning out an attic crawl space in my mother's house, I found a bin of mine filled with fabric. At the VERY bottom of the bin, in it's own bag, was this WIP! I was so happy to have finally found it and not have thrown it out.

Today I took it all apart. Looking back at something I did 14 years ago was a bit terrifying. I'm all self taught, so I had to try and make it work with what knowledge I had at the time. 14 years later and I know better and can give the proper attention it needs. I'm posting my photos from back then and now for input. I haven't made a Padme costume in years, and I want to finish this one for Celebration Amadalia

This is my fabric, which is darker in real life vs what my LED work lights show here. However, I notice the standards say "heavy textured" for the fabric. Before I even cut into my spare fabric, of which I have just enough, does this look okay? It's a wool with a slightly loose weave, and a beautiful drape to it. I'd rahter not do a bunch of work, only to not have it be approved. This way I can save this fabric for something else.

Original version from 2006. The color is more accurate looking here. I had also set in the sleeves, not knowing at that time that it was a dropped shoulder style. This also shows the drape of the fabric nicely once it was lined.

Today, 14 years later, trying it on to see how everything sits on me. I took this apart right after, as I wanted to use the shape as a base pattern and extend the shoulder/sleeve area. I am naturally short in the torso with long legs. The neck V on this was actually below my navel, with the hem point at about mid thigh.

Side View taken today. It looks long enough in the front and back from what I can tell. These sleeves are being redrafted. Does the area where the flames start need to be lowered at all?

Back View taken today. In 2006 I had made the back hem come to a point instead of being rounded, so that will be changed. It hits me at about mid calf. The back of the neckline will also be coming down a bit, as this is too shallow.

The original poncho completely taken apart and ironed. You can see I had even already embroidered the little 'chicken feet' on the neckline.

The original pieces on top of the precious little extra fabric I have left. I have a few other pieces that are perfectly sized for the sleeves. I laid this out to see if I had enough, I'll alter the original pattern first though for the proper shape.
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the fabric you have should be fine, since it's got a heavy-looking texture, and it hangs well on you.

I look forward to seeing your progress on this!

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw you post on Instagram and cannot wait to see you put this together. Best of luck!
In progress/submitted: Padme Amidala Deleted Scene/X Wing Pilot/Clone Wars Padme (maroon vest)
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the fabric got a nice color and enough texture. Smile

From what I can see the sleeve decorations start at the elbow and go down from there. Maybe lower your embroidery an inch or less?

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Aglarwen (Elizabeth Martinez)
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to see how this turns out, It's such a beautiful costume! I've dug out old project myself recently to keep me busy too lol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: