Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6986ab7977db81f3ed6d747d0545d49aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Yuko Generic Jedi WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuko ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Yuko Generic Jedi WIP Reply with quote

Not sure if this is where I need to post my WIP if it's not I apologize in advance.

Slowly getting started on a generic Jedi. I'm slowly gathering things together I have materials/color few patterns and oversize hooded cloak. I still need a belt ((with extra stuff on it)), not sure if I can use my black dirty Mando boots lol and looking into a lightsaber.

-----

Now on the 'hard part' picking the color

Ok so this time around it wasn't that bad lol

From looking at the color chart:

I instantly decided to go with the far right side. With what looks like silver to dark gray/black area. More specifically the three-color I'm looking to use is:

Light gray ((almost a silver look))

Dark gray

Black

belt and boots will be black

Cloak black

----

Material:

This is for what's color going to what and also to show the material and see if it's ok to use. The material for the jedi out fit is Polyester cotton.

The cloak is Polyester the only material that's a little heavy than the other materials. It can get a little hot but it's perfect for cold weather lol

Inner Tunic/wrap around waist part of the obi

I like to use the silver for my Inner Tunic and for the wrap-around part of the obi ((If that's allowed))

Was also thinking for part of the obi that wrap around the waist if I could use this?

Outer Tunic:

Looking to use the dark gray for the outer tunic.

I was debating on either having sleeves on either the inner tunic ((silver)) or the outer tunic ((dark gray))

If I did it with the inner tunic the color would be silver inner dark gray outer with silver sleeves. Or if I did the other way would be silver inner dark gray outer plus dark gray sleeves.

I honestly like both ideas but I'm leaning towards the last idea.

pants/Y Part of the obi:

Like to use the black material for the pants and the Y part going down the front of the Jedi outfit ((If that's allowed))

Cloak:

This was made a while back when I was in high school. It was mainly used for Harry Potter wizarding cloak lol Decided that I could use it instead of having it collect dust.. or more dust. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to use it or not. If it's good then I think I need to modify the sleeves? I'm not sure about that.

I also have a fastener on the cloak:

Again not sure if that's allowed either

Boots:

A dirty version of the boot

Not sure if I'm allowed to use these

Patterns:

These are the patterns I'm looking at right now. For both outer and inner tunic

I will be using some of the tutorials that are on here for the obi and maybe if there's a better version of the tunic.

I'm debating on making a belt and some of the things I need on it or waiting for a good deal and buying one. Also waiting for Dallas Fan days to talk to ultra saber about getting a saber lol

Soo that's about all I have right now sorry this turn out to be a lot longer then I thought it would be. I can't wait to start Very Happy
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Light Grey Inner Tunic and Obi with a Dark Grey Outer Tunic is just fine. If you're interested in lightsaber choreography, though, bear in mind that Saber Guild has a narrower set of acceptable tunic colors--brown, cream, tan, or olive drab. It's a bit broader for Inner Tunic, Tabards, and Obi, but still some distinct constraints. They want it immediately obvious who is the Good Guy and the Bad Guy!

FYI there is no "wrap around part of the Obi." That's all an Obi is, a wide sash that goes around the waist.

The fish scale material would probably not be acceptable for the Obi. You might get away with it if you made a Mon Calamari or Selkath Jedi ;-)

The cloak is not acceptable for Jedi use. The clasp is not approvable, it's too short, the hood is too small and the way it's assembled is all wrong. Sorry Crying or Very sad Also, Jedi costumes are a lot of layers. Even if you go with a dickey-style Inner Tunic, around your waist and belly and back is still multiple thicknesses of cloth. It gets HOT. Cloaks that don't breathe are pretty hard to wear for a long time.
Yuko ()

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimwalker wrote:
Light Grey Inner Tunic and Obi with a Dark Grey Outer Tunic is just fine. If you're interested in lightsaber choreography, though, bear in mind that Saber Guild has a narrower set of acceptable tunic colors--brown, cream, tan, or olive drab. It's a bit broader for Inner Tunic, Tabards, and Obi, but still some distinct constraints. They want it immediately obvious who is the Good Guy and the Bad Guy!

FYI there is no "wrap around part of the Obi." That's all an Obi is, a wide sash that goes around the waist.

The fish scale material would probably not be acceptable for the Obi. You might get away with it if you made a Mon Calamari or Selkath Jedi ;-)

The cloak is not acceptable for Jedi use. The clasp is not approvable, it's too short, the hood is too small and the way it's assembled is all wrong. Sorry Crying or Very sad Also, Jedi costumes are a lot of layers. Even if you go with a dickey-style Inner Tunic, around your waist and belly and back is still multiple thicknesses of cloth. It gets HOT. Cloaks that don't breathe are pretty hard to wear for a long time.

Sorry for the late reply been little crazy

Cool wanted to get a Jedi made/approved first and then eventually join the saber guild hopefully lol

So I was thinking of maybe changing the color a little bit. Keep the light gray/silver for the inner tunic and dark gray for the outer. Keep the wrap-around silver

For the front two flaps that come down in front using a greenish-blue color:

Or the outer tunic could be the greenish-blue, have the two flaps dark gray. I'm not sure if that would be too much of that one color or if that would be acceptable for the saber guild.

Plan to start soon.

-----

Bit of an update I was able to buy a lightsaber

Color of the bald "Blue Violet Amethyst. So a violet color with a hint of blue lol

It should be here on the 5th maybe a day on the 4th. I will take pictures of it when it arrives.

--------

I was looking through the Jedi section and I saw [Members] Generic Jedi Aliens costumes. I thought this was soo cooooool!

I found one of my two favorite race Togorian but didn't see any shistavanen.

So I was wondering if they could be considered to be a generic Jedi?

https://www.amazon.com/Mario-Chiodo-Terrifying-Animated-Halloween/dp/B075F79316/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=wolf+mask+with+moving+mouth&qid=1587758929&sr=8-7

Last edited by Yuko () on Sun May 03, 2020 2:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
jasnoksieznik (Michal)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If done correctly, yes, you can be a jedi puppy:
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1120496#1120496
Note, how much effort it is. I consider this the same difficulty as a wookie, but with much less resources/info available.
For RL acceptance, I doubt that you can get away with 50$ mask. This needs to be professional grade mask, paws etc.
Yuko ()

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look up the mask that Mr. Kookaburra got for you can look it up online and find it for $39.99 so almost $40 pluss tax. He modify it with new fur ((which looks cool Very Happy))

https://www.partycity.com/motion-werewolf-mask-393393.html

http://www.merlinsltd.com/Lone-werewolf-Horror-mask-Moving-mouth

Of course depends on where you get the mask from. But it's not suppre expensive.

We troop around kids I was thinking of something that wouldn't 'scare the snot' out of them. I don't want to give them nightmares.

So was looking for something that didn't have that kind of effec that's why I post those two in the last post. Though if the mask from the link is acceptable then this could probably work but again I'm worried it might scare the kids Shocked Which again not what I'm trying to do.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy May the 4th!!

Some good news lightsabers came in a day early! Though it said that it was going to come in on the 5th which was weird O.o

Blade Color:

Blade Hilt:

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to work on outfit first and then get the wolf head a bit later. I change the color idea I'm still using the light silver gray as my inner tunic, I change the outter tunic to a subdued eggplant color. I change the obi & tabards to dark gray, if I have enough of that color left might use dark gray for pants if not then I'll use black.

Putting the colors together it looks like it works well:

Outter tunic color with the inner tunic color:

Outter tunic color with obi & Tabards color:

Update on the outfit:

Working on outter tunic. Got it cut out got the arms swen on had to tuck it in a few times but starting to come together. Wanted to check on the length see if it's good.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no tailor, so I may be wrong with my opinion:
Common concept for the outer tunic is to separate it into main part and a skirt. Skirt is 1:1 with the main part at waist and wider at the bottom, giving nice form and some dynamics during movement. The seam between upper and lower part can be easily covered with the obi.

Regarding color scheme - in my case, the decisive factor were boots. I wanted brown, so I got brown boots. Automatically, I needed brown belt.
I think different distinct color for each part is a bit over the top, so I decided to use neutral, "weak" tones on other parts. Add your hair and skin tone to the composition.
Here you have some examples of re-using a color or mixing similar tones:
http://www.kjo.rebellegion.com/?portfolio=generic-jedi-2
Purpleblade23 ()

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasnoksieznik wrote:
I'm no tailor, so I may be wrong with my opinion:
Common concept for the outer tunic is to separate it into main part and a skirt. Skirt is 1:1 with the main part at waist and wider at the bottom, giving nice form and some dynamics during movement. The seam between upper and lower part can be easily covered with the obi.

This is correct. You may have issues with the way the bottom "flows" with it being one whole piece. But I'm interested to see where this goes.
Yuko ()

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there an example of a Jedi skirt? Because I keep thinking a woman skirt.

Also just in case is there another way to do the bottom part that does not involve a skirt?

The tunic dose flair out at the bottom. According to URL have length between knee and mid thigh for the tunic. This one will be at my knew once seam at the bottom.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my pattern pieces for my Mace Windu Outer Tunic. As you can see, the front is 2 pieces. So there should be a seam at the waist. Hope that helps.
Yuko ()

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at belts and was wondering if I can use this?

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This belt would be the "old Ben Kenobi" style?
Yes, that would work, with a proper (faked) buckle.
For the prequel trilogy belts, it seems to me that it is too wide for the narrow belt, but too narrow for the wide belt.
Dangams (David)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 3 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How wide is the belt? Unless you're very short, we suggest a minimum width of 2" for Jedi belts, both PT and OT styles.

Cleared Costumes:
Generic Jedi
Jedi Knight/Star Forge Revan
X-Wing Pilot
Jedi General
Yuko ()

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangams wrote:
How wide is the belt? Unless you're very short, we suggest a minimum width of 2" for Jedi belts, both PT and OT styles.

Sadly it's not that wide. I will be on a lookout for something a little bit better. Or save up a little for an Anakin black Jedi belt.

----

Sowing machine decided to go on the fritz so been looking into wolf head.

Was going to use this:

and fix the fur but thought that would be stupid to buy something and replace the fur. ((No offenses to anyone who did that on another project))

So I was looking and found a wolf/canine base head:

so if I want a moving 'jaw' which I do I just have to Dremel/cut the two parts apart and reattach them. It shouldn't be hard. I'm going to get teeth top and bottom and a tongue. I would have to paint the teeth shouldn't be a problem.

For eye's I'm thinking of using blue:

Fur:

The plan is to fur the wolf base and I guess style it in a way so the fur not ratted or look extremely fake like the tope wolf head that I wanted to use a while back, I doubt that I can make it look super realistic like clockwork creature.

I have been watching a few YouTube videos on how to shave the fur, to fur a headset, and to make paws. It looks manageable for beginners so going to take my time watch them as many times as it takes and get the head looking best I can get it. It's going to take a while but it will be worth it in the end.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: