Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=22231a307bf7b10b6cafd4ffa3872f6aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jedi Costume Question
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrg149 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Jedi Costume Question Reply with quote

Is the Cosplay Sky costume sold on Amazon an acceptable submission? I'm brand new to this "world" & learning.
Grimwalker (Derrick Billings)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you link to the package in question?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did some searches and looked at what was on offer.

Learn from my fail: not only no, hell no. I bought one of these used from a guy who threw in a base-model Ultrasaber (worth it!) but the costume was a total bust.

Tunic Sleeves are too short unless you buy oversized.
Tabards are borderline acceptable IMO.
Obi velcro is visible when worn.
Belt is hot garbage that meets almost no criteria. It’s wide enough but that’s all.
Pants are OK but frankly it is very easy to find approvable pants at retail stores.
Inner Tunic is basically OK.
Only one pouch.
No food pellets.
Robe is also cheap garbage that meets almost none of the criteria.

I implore you not to waste your money on this. It just looks terrible.
Baris_Alrisul ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sad truth is that, with very few exceptions, commercial pre-made costumes aren't going to be approvable for ANY character in the Rebel Legion. Even if they are made to all our standards in terms of cut (rare) abd of the correct materials (even more rare) a premade costume is rarely going to fit precisely enough for accuracy. Now, if you don't make things and want to find a way to get a Jedi costume, Iots of us would be happy to help you find someone to commission from. Feel free to PM me!

Charter Review Committee US Representative
KJO Costume Captain for the Prequel Trilogy
DL of Eadu Delegation
Pride Squadron Mod

Leia (Senatorial, Ceremonial, ESB, and Issue 12 Jedi)
Resistance X-wing Pilot (Human/Pantoran TFA and Briefing Room)
Generic Jedi (Human/Pantoran)
Depa Billaba
Amilyn Holdo
Jawa
mrg149 ()

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baris_Alrisul wrote:
The sad truth is that, with very few exceptions, commercial pre-made costumes aren't going to be approvable for ANY character in the Rebel Legion. Even if they are made to all our standards in terms of cut (rare) abd of the correct materials (even more rare) a premade costume is rarely going to fit precisely enough for accuracy. Now, if you don't make things and want to find a way to get a Jedi costume, Iots of us would be happy to help you find someone to commission from. Feel free to PM me!

That's really disheartening news. I don't have the budget for commissioned work…I've seen what that costs. Shocked seems I've picked an expensive hobby Rolling Eyes There are some pieces I can diy and I'm sabered up…back to the drawing board
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would join the SW kit finders group on Facebook; from time to time people will want to pass on costumes.
mrg149 ()

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimwalker wrote:
I would join the SW kit finders group on Facebook; from time to time people will want to pass on costumes.

not on FB…never will be
Aya-Na Bashu (Catherine Windsor)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrg149 wrote:
Grimwalker wrote:

not on FB…never will be

I use FB only for RL and base info/advice. Kit Finders is a great resource and really shouldn't be overlooked.
mrg149 ()

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aya-Na Bashu wrote:
mrg149 wrote:
Grimwalker wrote:

not on FB…never will be

I use FB only for RL and base info/advice. Kit Finders is a great resource and really shouldn't be overlooked.

Thanks but no thanks.
mrg149 ()

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what parts can I either buy outright or diy myself with no sewing skills? How hard is it to learn/do this project?[/u]
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it’s a great project to learn how to sew. The builds aren’t too complicated from an assembly standpoint. The impression I get is that most Jedi costumes are homemade, with hard parts like sabers, boots, belts and pouches acquired from vendors.

If you don’t want to join FB there’s always Etsy, you might get lucky.
Baris_Alrisul ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deoending on what exactly you want and what your budget is, it might be oossible to find a commissioner who can work in your price range. There are some folks who do discounts in legion-bound costumes, since it's for charity.

DL of Eadu Delegation
Pride Squadron Mod

Depa Billaba
Amilyn Holdo
Jawa
mrg149 ()

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you folks are fantastic! I guess I'm going to have to screw up my courage and get'r done!
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimwalker wrote:
Did some searches and looked at what was on offer.

Learn from my fail: not only no, hell no. I bought one of these used from a guy who threw in a base-model Ultrasaber (worth it!) but the costume was a total bust.

Tunic Sleeves are too short unless you buy oversized.
Tabards are borderline acceptable IMO.
Obi velcro is visible when worn.
Belt is hot garbage that meets almost no criteria. It’s wide enough but that’s all.
Pants are OK but frankly it is very easy to find approvable pants at retail stores.
Inner Tunic is basically OK.
Only one pouch.
No food pellets.
Robe is also cheap garbage that meets almost none of the criteria.

I implore you not to waste your money on this. It just looks terrible.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on a number of points. I say this as someone who was approved, wearing a number of parts from a CosplaySky Jedi costume. I still wear a number of those pieces, although most are slated for replacement over this next year.

Many (not all) parts of the CosplaySky Jedi outfits are approvable, IF they fit you correctly. That last part is key. If you pay the extra $30 custom sizing option (and the costume they deliver complies with the measurements supplied), most of your objections are mooted.

I 100% agree it's a "starter Jedi" costume (and not complete, for that matter), and over time, most if not all parts will likely want replacing. But with that said:

* The tunic is 100% fine, as long as you get one that fits you correctly. It's made of a fairly decent linen fabric. Get the natural colored version, and you can even dye it with some Rit in your kitchen, to hit another desired color.

* The tabards are perfectly acceptable, as long as you get ones that are long enough. It's recommended to sew a SINGLE straightline stitch (hidden by the Obi) to add the proper angle to them, but even that could be faked with safety pins, for those truly motivated to avoid learning basic sewing. (could easily be hand stitched, but seriously a 30 second fix with a sewing machine)

* The Obi velcro is only visible if the Obi is too small on you. (same would apply to nearly any Obi) Again, see that custom size option. The Obi is otherwise fine. Same natural material as the tabards (and easily dyed).

* The belt... well, while I agree the belt leaves much to be desired, Pleather belts are definitely allowed. It meets basic criteria. Personally, I'd spend the ~$100 to replace it in a heartbeat. But for some, it would indeed suffice, albeit barely.

* The pants are super basic polyester pants, but they do work fine. (I found nice linen pants on Amazon for about $15.)

* The Inner Tunic is cheap polyester, too, but as you noted, it gets the job done, as long as it fits you.

* The "pouch" IS definitely hot garbage. It's *literally* a cheap cellphone case that might fit 90s era cellphones. Pouches are easy enough to replace, of course. I wouldn't consider this a deal breaker.

* No food pellets, but those are readily available on eBay and Etsy, among other places. Nor are they actually required, depending on what other accessories you own.

* The robe, however, ugh. I 100% agree the robe is cheap garbage that is utterly unsalvageable. I can't say anything good about it, other than my neighbor's kid seems to love playing Jedi in it. Again, though, depending on what other parts are owned, a robe is not required.

In sum: Sized correctly, the Tunic, Inner Tunic, Pants, Obi, and Tabards all work just fine. And the belt can be made to work, as well. Well worth the tiny amount of money CS charges for them, IMO (even with the custom sizing upcharge). Just chuck the rest, and start shopping for the rest of the parts. And as usual, boots tends to be the hardest and most expensive part of this costume. (Up there with a good Jedi Robe)

Again, though, this doesn't mean it's a GREAT Jedi costume, but it's a good base that can upgraded over time, as funds permit. You'll also want to stitch in some snaps or at least Velcro, to assist with dressing, because keeping everything in place is a huge PITA without some way to assist with this.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the confusion here may be coming from the "cosplaysky costume available on amazon" vs. "custom order from cosplaysky directly". It is indeed sometimes possible to get a generic Jedi from Cosplaysky directly that is approvable, via custom ordering. It's not a guarantee, since folks have had mixed results on both fit and material, but it's possible. The pre-made ones on Amazon are almost never going to pass though. And if you are getting a custom order from cosplaysky...well, at that point. You start to get into the price range of some of the custom commissioners who do discounted legion work, which have a much higher success rate in passing.

So, in summary: if you really can't find anything else in your price range, custom ordering from cosplaysky's website directly might work. Based on my experience, I would try asking around for a commissioner in my price range before attempting it.

DL of Eadu Delegation
Pride Squadron Mod

Depa Billaba
Amilyn Holdo
Jawa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: