Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c92a795db6045e253a5d0061ded54f26Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rebel Fleet Trooper (Vanguard) Helmet
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Rebel Fleet Trooper (Vanguard) Helmet Reply with quote

Well, I'm planning on a perfect helmet for my RFT. To that end, I've purchased an actual Navy Mk II Talker helmet. I am planning on using this helmet as a base for a more authentic RFT helmet that has both the look and the feel of a combat helmet.

Color: First of all, the debate is ended for me. My wife color-sampled pretty much every clear picture of the RFT helmets from the high-quality screen captures and has come to a decision. I'll be spray-painting the entire thing inside and out before assembling it. This includes using a finishing spray. By the way, the actual color from the prop helmet is:

Color Name: gray 67
Hex: #ABABAB
RGB: 171/171/171
MS Access: 11250603
Sample:
OOOOOOOOO

Swoop: The swoop will be .125 ABS and look like normal. I'm planning on actually drilling and screwing it to the helmet, rather than pop-riveting it.

Chin Cup & Strap: The chin cup will also be the .125 ABS. However, rather than elastic for the chin cup, I am planning on using an actual strap. There will be a little give, but it will be solid and used to keep the helmet balanced on on my grape. I plan on connecting it with an actual strap connection (like on combat helmets). I'll just sink a couple of flat-headed screws into it and bondo them flat on the surface.

Comm Box: Again, a .125 ABS box. However, I plan to modify it slightly so that it looks more authentic. The two bumps will be remade into two rubber-covered toggles. The large ring on the bottom will be replaced with a textured wheel. The raised area on the right will be replaced with a elongated oval speaker covered with brace-bars. All the parts will be the same color as the helmet (with the speaker being white).

Visor: The base or inner visor will be .125 ABS. I'll be cutting this to provide a good support system system for the actual visor. Probably an inch under the visor and a thin strip down both sides. The visor itself will be a cut-down moped helmet visor. I will be connecting it via a good bonding agent. I will finish up by screwing it to the helmet. If I want it down, all I'd have to do is unscrew it, flip it, and screw it back.

In the end, I'll have a very authentic helmet. I may replace the padding on the inside, depending on how it feels. It will be a little heavy, but nothing compared to a combat helmet with night-vision goggles.

What do you think?

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i 'v got one of these helmets and the padding is actually quite comfortable .
i thought about making a similar padd for my abs helmet , but went with another idea instead.i used a baseball catchers helmet that is velcroed in place .its a bit more stable.

good luck with your build!! Very Happy
Kevin Skoglund (Kevin Skoglund)
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool . I also just purchased a MK2 surplus helmet . But i will be turning it into an Imperial Naval Trooper helmet . Hopefully......It will end up looking something like this when finished.............

P.s.................I have the basic RFT Plastic Helmet version right now .
But NO-ONE makes the IN Helmet in an "Affordable " price right now .
Crying or Very sad
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes....good luck to both of you...
your projects look/sound awesome!

I'm still slamming my head into a wall on a certain Hoth Backpack....and am a little down on blazing new paths right now... Crying or Very sad

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let it get you down. Even if you just work on it a little at a time, then you will still get it done. Just take it slow.
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schph Gochi wrote:

I'm still slamming my head into a wall on a certain Hoth Backpack....and am a little down on blazing new paths right now... Crying or Very sad

I think I can help you with the back pack boxes! email me.

Jim
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimE2 wrote:
Schph Gochi wrote:

I think I can help you with the back pack boxes! email me.

Jim

the boxes are fine...
it is the hoses...

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, mt entire RFT is completed. All I have to do now is work on the Blaster and I'll be ready to submit!

I'm onl using one of the normal ABS molded helmets and will be upgrading to the "real helmet" once I get it done. The final upgrades will be a new belt/holster and a new shirt.

The tailor I hired to make the shirt out of my two Navex-bought shirts made it EXACTLY like the shirt seen on the authentic shirt from the auction picture... so I have to pull it on over my head. I'll probably just dim two Dickies shirts and beg my wife to make it.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes when you hire someone to sew for you, who isn't familiar with Star Wars costumes, you need to tell them exactly what you want, how you want it constructed and modified, not just give them a pattern or show them a photo or two.

Of course, sometimes people who are having costumes made for them don't realize the modifications that are needed to be done to some patterns, till they get the items back and see that they aren't quite right. By then, they usually are out of luck.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She does Ren Faire and Cosplay work, but I think she did misunderstand... My RFT shirt is a one-piece pull-over that buttons on the side and has a seal across the mid-section that is visible unless I wear my pants and belt Urkel-style. Also, I'm not sure what she did to the collar, but it just doesn't look right...

The vest she did for me is amazing! It has all of the pockets in all the right places. The only problem is the opening on the front. All that needs though is a quick hem to make it hang correctly on my body.

Here's a quick pic of the top of the trousers, shirt, vest, and helmet. Excuse the look, it is study-time for mid-term week and I am half dead...

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding job Volund..... Burn the midnight oil to get this Completed and submitted.. so you can take part in trooping events...Peace, Allan

http://kashyyykbase.org/
KASHYYYK BASE
http://cloudcitygarrison.com/
TK-3066
Cloud City Garrison
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I'm waiting on right now are a couple of events. First, the arrival of my D-Ring and a nice day to paint everything.

I'm still upgrading. I've got a new set of belt boxes on the way (radio shack project boxes with belt clips. I'm looking for the accessories to my Talker Helmet. I'm looking for a new belt with holster. And, I've got a new shirt on the way.

After I get this done and my Vader, I'm looking at doing a Rebel Commander. I'm thinking a Rebel Fleet Officer (Captain Antilles). All I'd need are the soft parts and a new belt buckle! But that is still yet to come.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you able to attend the March 22nd Event in Eugene Barnes and Noble as Rebel Trooper? or are you going to Spot.. Either way come down..Peace, Allan

http://kashyyykbase.org/
KASHYYYK BASE
http://cloudcitygarrison.com/
TK-3066
Cloud City Garrison
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be there if I am able. I would hope to have my costume approved by then, but without the submission form...
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see you have progressed into the Rebel Fleet Trooper Family .
Always nice to see more Troopers .

Thought i would give you a few shots of my near done IMPERIAL navy trooper Helmet we had talked about earlier . Did you give up on converting your original Navy Talker ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: