About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=bcd776e9d21d56d6cfb099f53abbac24Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ejection strap question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FallenJedi ()
Corellian Base CO
Corellian Base CO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Ejection strap question Reply with quote

Hi all,

Newbie with more questions. Embarassed Smile
Do the ejection straps include a section that goes around the waist like a belt?
The costume tutorial photo show the straps and a 'belt' made of the same material yet the guide to make them does not show this 'belt'.
How should I plan to make this part?

Thank you!
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please read through existing threads, like this one http://www.rebellegion.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10405 so we don't have to repeat ourselves.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FallenJedi ()
Corellian Base CO
Corellian Base CO

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks!
It might be worth making this a 'Sticky' topic to help us new folks.

Thank you,
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ejection strap question Reply with quote

FallenJedi wrote:
Hi all,

Newbie with more questions. Embarassed Smile
Do the ejection straps include a section that goes around the waist like a belt?
The costume tutorial photo show the straps and a 'belt' made of the same material yet the guide to make them does not show this 'belt'.
How should I plan to make this part?

Thank you!

Hey Fallen,

I got my straps from Richies Armor. The belt part that goes around the waist is a seperate piece that's not attached to the leg straps...at least in my case. Actually the belt that I have was taken from a luggage strap that people tie around their suitcases, and I took off the end pieces and had them re-sewn around an after-market seat belt mechanism. I don't think the 100% canon buckle works for a guy with my waste line and the seat belt mechanism snaps open and closed so it's quick and easy. If needed you can actually find grey nylon webbing (sometimes they operator will actually ask if you're making an x-wing pilot costume...I think the word is getting out). If you like slide on over to echo base rebels "So You want want to be an x-wing pilot" tutorial. it's got some great info. Also, don't be afraid to post questions on the pilot forums. We're always glad to see more orange. Smile

Here's the line to the x-wing info http://echobaserebels.com/reference/xwingcostume/
FallenJedi ()
Corellian Base CO
Corellian Base CO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Ejection strap question Reply with quote

cyranodb wrote:

Hey Fallen,

I got my straps from Richies Armor. The belt part that goes around the waist is a seperate piece that's not attached to the leg straps...at least in my case. Actually the belt that I have was taken from a luggage strap that people tie around their suitcases, and I took off the end pieces and had them re-sewn around an after-market seat belt mechanism. I don't think the 100% canon buckle works for a guy with my waste line and the seat belt mechanism snaps open and closed so it's quick and easy. If needed you can actually find grey nylon webbing (sometimes they operator will actually ask if you're making an x-wing pilot costume...I think the word is getting out). If you like slide on over to echo base rebels "So You want want to be an x-wing pilot" tutorial. it's got some great info. Also, don't be afraid to post questions on the pilot forums. We're always glad to see more orange. Smile

Here's the line to the x-wing info http://echobaserebels.com/reference/xwingcostume/

That's a great link and I've been referencing it a _lot_.
I went ahead and ordered enough webbing for a belt but may not use it.
I'm still contemplating a holster with gun and don't know if 2 belts would look right.

Thanks
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Ejection strap question Reply with quote

FallenJedi wrote:
That's a great link and I've been referencing it a _lot_.
I went ahead and ordered enough webbing for a belt but may not use it.
I'm still contemplating a holster with gun and don't know if 2 belts would look right.

Thanks

Well, if you browse around the pilot forums you might see that new standards being debated would require a seperate holster belt for a blaster if you do wear a blaster, which isn't necessary for the costume but people like to have one, myself included. If need be I'll just wear my black leather belt I wear for my jeans. Some people get really nice holsters done. Currently I wear my holster, which just has two belt loops, on my webbed belt, and I'm doing so until I hear different.
atmtrooper ()

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a word of warning strapworks have run out of silver grey due to the Bush war in every country across the world,still I thought only us pilots used this type of webbing
Krash ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atmtrooper wrote:
Just a word of warning strapworks have run out of silver grey due to the Bush war in every country across the world

Wonderful Rolling Eyes ...he probably has Aldreaan on the "Axis of Evil" as well. Rolling Eyes

Editor:
All Wings Report In! - Great Lakes Base blog
atmtrooper ()

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have found a supplier in the uk who has near if not the same webbing Very Happy so if you get stuck give a shout
FallenJedi ()
Corellian Base CO
Corellian Base CO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atmtrooper wrote:
we have found a supplier in the uk who has near if not the same webbing Very Happy so if you get stuck give a shout

Yeah, I placed an order with Strapworks and they called to say they were out of the nylon.
(didn't mention any war supply efforts though Razz)
She recommended an alternative called 'Polypropylene webbing' that is very similar and cheaper.

Thanks,
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what a belt looks like, made out of the polypropylene.

I made my ejection straps out of a boat winch strap that I bought years ago. It's a bit darker, but it's very similar to seat belt webbing.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dbuck (david buckley)
Endor Base XO
Endor Base XO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, had to use the polypropylene webbing for my straps from the shortage. It has a slightly different texture, and I think it might be a tad more stiff, but in my opinion is an excellent option.

David

Einstein
FallenJedi ()
Corellian Base CO
Corellian Base CO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Loreen Shadowchaser wrote:
This is what a belt looks like, made out of the polypropylene.

[img][/img]

I made my ejection straps out of a boat winch strap that I bought years ago. It's a bit darker, but it's very similar to seat belt webbing.

That looks great.
I'm going to place the order tomorrow for the polypropylene straps.

Thank you,

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im starting making belts and straps over here in the uk will ship overseas if anyone is interested can supply pictures and prices
phantom8 (Brian Anderson)
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbuck wrote:
I, too, had to use the polypropylene webbing for my straps from the shortage. It has a slightly different texture, and I think it might be a tad more stiff, but in my opinion is an excellent option.

ditto. and in my case they actually just sent me that without even asking. i hadn't realized there was a substitution until others mentioned the shortage.

i think the polypropylene works out fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: