Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=506108967400549f1d18023057af17f7Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Generic -> General Jedi; WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasnoksieznik (Michal)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Generic -> General Jedi; WIP Reply with quote

[update to general starts here: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1122292#1122292]

Hello fellow jedi, I've started off with my costume and I'm curious if you can share any insights about it, before submission. The starting point was Mace Windu style, since the fabric/colors I liked were as close to his, as viable.

I have no experience in sewing/clothing/fabrics/props. Props are all bought, while I help my wife with the sewing. She does some sewing for babies, about one piece per month, so she has the equipment and skills, but my jedi clothes are the biggest project so far. This is, what a couple amateurs/beginners can make within several weekends.

Tutorial used (thank you, this was the help I was looking for, even if a bit too advanced for me):
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29112

Pattern used (thank you, this gave us the starting point):
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=82924

We did inner tunic first, as the fabric was simpler and some mistakes can be covered by outer tunic, in case of failure. This went pretty good, within one weekend 90% of work was done, the next 10% took a whole week after Very Happy. This one is ready, even if bottom extensions for tucking the tunic into trousers fall off short.

With this experience, we went for outer tunic, with heavier fabric and stiff in-iron inlays for tabards and collar. we're mostly finished, but ran out of thread, to be continued next week.

Boots are arriving next week
Pleather belt+food+pouches+covertec have already arrived
Saber is planned, most probably one like this: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1108697#1108697. I'll order it, when the rest of the costume is finished. Business first, pleasure later. Wink
Trousers - as on fotos. It is surprisingly hard to get white/light gray chinos in the middle of the winter, though.

To-do list:
Tuck OT shoulders, as discussed here: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48075
Sew OT Collar (ran out of thread)
Finish 1st tabard (ran out of thread)
Sew 2nd tabard (ran out of thread)
Velcos all over the place (hold inner tunic together, belt with obi, obi with tabards front/back, obi with obi)
Button on shoulder to hold tabards to OT

One of my main concerns here is the overall width of the costume. I've grown 185cm/95kg and the costume feels almost too wide in the shoulders. Is this normal?

Second thing might be the length of the tabards. They should be as long as the skirt of the outer tunic. They're almost there. While skirt reaches knees, the tabards don't. It still makes them as long as in the references , respectively to my body (almost to knee). Will that be an issue?

Images (pardon the needles, missing stiches/pouches/tabard. And socks. And the pepper mill):

If there are any other issues that may stop me from becoming an approved generic jedi, please point me into right direction. So far-so good, I like this project and hope to have it ready for a next nearby comic-con or RL event.

Last edited by jasnoksieznik (Michal) on Sun May 24, 2020 9:34 am; edited 2 times in total
Grimwalker (Derrick Billings)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tabards are to be as long or slightly longer than the outer tunic in front. It looks like you have ample margin to hem the skirt a bit higher.

Keep an eye on that belt for drooping. On pleather cosplay belts that are actually anchored next to the closure, the outer belt has a tendency to sag as the piece ages and things stretch out slightly.

also make sure that the ends of the belt stay aligned so the end strap doesn't peek out from under the girth strap.
jasnoksieznik (Michal)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimwalker wrote:
Tabards are to be as long or slightly longer than the outer tunic in front. It looks like you have ample margin to hem the skirt a bit higher.

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. Shorter skirt would be definitely the direction to go, as sewing tabards was much more challenging and fabric consuming as expected (a.k.a. wife saying "I'm not going to do that again!").

Grimwalker wrote:

Keep an eye on that belt for drooping. On pleather cosplay belts that are actually anchored next to the closure, the outer belt has a tendency to sag as the piece ages and things stretch out slightly.

Indeed. I got one from "jedi robes" and realized that the thin belt is actually not fastened at all - it is just bent over the fake lock at the front!
In a long run, a colleague at work just started to work with leather for her western riding. I think I'll negotiate custom belt with her.

Grimwalker wrote:

also make sure that the ends of the belt stay aligned so the end strap doesn't peek out from under the girth strap.

Roger! Roger!
jasnoksieznik (Michal)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sewing will continue next weekend, so I have plenty of time to think and ask questions.

I"ve read http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49614 about the fabrics. Obviously, its a bit late, but I'm concerned that the fabric I chose may have too plain texture. Is there any rule or similar fabric that got accepted/denied?

Another concern, on the photos above, is the size of the costume, in arms and shoulder. The guy that created the template I mentioned above is of similar height and ca. 15kg less, so I figured it won't be to big. However, the OT feels big and the circumference of the arm feels huge! Its 62cm.
Mace Windu's OT looks much lighter/slicker than mine: https://i0.wp.com/caps.pictures/200/2-starwars2/full/starwars2-movie-screencaps.com-13376.jpg?strip=all
Did I do something wrong?
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think the texture of that fabric looks fine.

If you're not trying to do the actual face character of Mace Windu, it doesn't need to match every detail exactly. You're basically doing a generic Jedi, at that point, so those rules apply, and then make it as similar to Windu as you care to. But there's no need to get hung up on matching him exactly, unless you really want to.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been new developments.

I've realised that the famous pattern posted by peptidyl is a great starting point, but it fits more Gamorrean than a human being of 6 feet (183cm) and 95kg

Alterations done in advance (that's what you can see on previous pictures):
- longer inner tunic extension (still too short to tuck it properly)
- longer sleeves of outer tunic
- longer skirt
- longer tabards
- longer obi, this one was no-brainer, since I'm 10-15kg heavier than the author of the pattern

What I did this week was to look at it with a fresh approach and
- tightened the outer tunic in waist/skirt, by as much as 15cm
- did an extended shoulder tuck, to lose some fabric in the back as well
- narrowed sleeves by as much as 15cm
- ate a death star cake for my bitrthday Smile

After inspecting my tabards, I decided to redo them completely, due to being too short and of uneven length.
I was out of fabric though, so went for a resupply and found at last the infamous cotton gauze. It's called "diaper fabric" in the land I live Surprised. Took it and I'm really happy. The color fits my expectations of a jedi better, so goodbye Master Windu, hello good looking!
I've already made an obi out of it.

Tabards to be done, lightsaber(s) will be ordered by sunrise.

jasnoksieznik (Michal)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, my first costume is complete.
Ultrasabers will take their sweet time (4-6 weeks more, I guess), so I went for a static DIY prop.

Final tasks:
- velcros/buttons
- ironing
- check that the belt and tabards are placed centrally
- proper photos

and I will send this out for approval. Any thoughts on possible pitfalls?

Grimwalker (Derrick Billings)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure to wear your belt centered on the Obi and the belt buckle centered vertically as well.

You might consider adding stirrups to your pants so they don't work their way out and blouse up over your boots, but that's more just a quality-of-life alteration.

Your tabards are a little bit longer in back than in front. Do you have anything anchoring them to your shoulders, hooks or a spot of velcro? If not, you can adjust them slightly and add something to make sure they stay put.
jasnoksieznik (Michal)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping my WiP topic. I've submitted my application, but did not include a link to WiP, so his way a judge may find it easier. Very Happy

That's what it became:

I tried this out on a carnaval event already. With the belt and obi fastened tight, everything stayed in place for 2-3 hours of marching. Thus, I have no velcros on tabards or outer tunic.
Jorius Valik (James Douthitt)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the same belt you do.....I added spots of E6000 to hold the smaller belt in place. Just make sure to leave any spots that you may want to put clips through.

Purpleblade23 ()

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job on that!!
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice colors and tabards angle
jasnoksieznik (Michal)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi got approved, so it is time for next step - I want to upgrade it to clone wars jedi general.

This can't be difficult, its basically two pieces of fake armor, right?

WRONG. Learn from my fail.
(for those that have any experience with making props, this may be entertaining, if you like to laugh on beginner's ignorance)

- Basic shape of the armor are two cones. High school maths is sufficient to calculate the radius/angle/lengths necessary - cone sheet is a 25-35deg part of a ring. Even if this should be flattened a bit (arm is oval, not circle), I think it is a good starting point.
- I did several paper mockups. Invaluable! Still, all of them proved to be too narrow. I need more space. And I did not put any clothing underneath it, yet.
- main cone cannot extend too far, otherwise I will not be able to bend elbow. Curse, you, animated clones, with your supermodel forearms!
- I tried to use craft foam that was easiest to procure, A4 format, 2mm thickness. This is a bad choice. Palm-side circumference needs to be 24cm+ and elbow side 35-40cm. With forearm length of ca. 25cm, this is totally incompatible with A4 format.
- 2mm craft foam is too thin to glue without overlapping.
- craft foam is cool, as you may bend it after heating. However, not if it is 2mm foam. I cut the shapes and wanted to bend them to be round - the foam immediately lost its stability, shrank/expanded, all edges got wobbly and are impossible to glue
- it is not OK to stabilize parts with sticky tape and put contact glue on the edges. Contact glue dissolves sticky tape as soon as you leave the workbench to let it dry. Prop will collapse before glue sticks properly.
- use primer before painting. Maybe double. My foam got a rich layer of primer, but after 2 layers of paint, it still soaked the paint.
- buy more paint. At the moment, I put 3-4 layers of the paint, it starts to look okay, but my 200ml spray can is almost empty.
- spray paint does not cover ANY uneveness/seams.

I should've stopped as soon as I realized that the material used ain't right. But I was curious, so I continued. I'll sand and spray, then I'll post a final picture of the first fail.

Do we have a repository for Republic/Jedi logos, or we just find them on the internet?
jasnoksieznik (Michal)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making of "Jedi general gauntlet Mark I" was described above, the effect is as follows:

This failed big style from the beginning, I continued to see what else will happen. I realized two major points:
- I miss a proper fill for the seams. I tried out elastic wall fill. It did not fill properly and took ages to harden.
- Acrylic spray paint does not work properly - after hardening, it began to break when the elastic foam was "working". I thought this was due to insufficient primer layer.

"Jedi general gauntlet Mark II" didn't make it far:

I was totally annoyed with the seam that went inwards from Mark I, so I thought I can cheat and glue together overlapping A4 sheets and do not pre-form the parts thermically. This resulted in a non-fixable triangular piece. Also, I had no chance of preparing a fitting second cone, since I did not use any template. I missed the size - it fits nicely on bare forearm, but inner tunic and outer tunic won't fit. Plus side: it confirmed, that 4m craft foam would be stronger and better for the job.

"Jedi general gauntlet Mark III" is "almost there...".
I went back to the original pattern of two cones, but with better measurements and pre-glued pair of A4 foam sheets, resulting in nice and handy A3 sheet. I did both gauntlents together and cut the matching pieces together, to get the best fitting. Thus, it was possible to glue 2mm foam without overlapping. Until glue was dry, I helped myself with a stapler, to keep the pieces together, where I couldn't hold them. No bending in hot air was applied, the 2mm foam did not need that.
If non-visible, every seam was strengthend from the inside afterwards, with hot glue. I consider the edge acceptable. Next time, I need to be more careful - I took my sweet time and glue gun got really hot, which caused some inward crinkling of the foam and loss of stability. Nothing critical, but could've been better.

Still having no filler to even up the seams, I experimented with silicone. This failed big style, as it is hard do even and fell off in big pieces while sanding, after first layer of paint.
Which leads to painting:
1. I used a primer
2. Then acrylic furniture paint, which I applied very generously with a brush and let it dry overnight. I hoped that it will partially replace the filler I do not have.
3. Next, I sanded the worst irregularities (excess paint and uneven seams) it with 60-80 paper. Some paint went off with the silicone, some did not take sanding well and started to peel off. Any idea why?
4. Applied a second layer of the paint with a brush, let it dry overnight
5. And sanded off the worst regularities. I had to sand off most of the paint around the large round seam, but it did got better, if the paint did not peel off. 60-grain sand paper seemed to be too rough, while 80 or 100 grain filled with paint immediately
6. I switched to a glossy acrylic spray paint, which I applied in 5-6 rounds, every 30-60 minutes. The effect was satisfactory, but did not fix the problems I caused before.
7. Sanded off some faults, decided this is beyond fixing and I need to start over.

Further observations:
Spots of peeled paint may look cool, paint it over and it looks realistically wheathered. This was totally unintended, but nice.
I dried the parts in the direct sun, on a humid day. This caused one of the long elbow protectors to bend, in the wrong direction. Trying to fix that caused the paint to crack. Did I choose the wrong paint?
Single layer of craft foam started to rip apart on sharp corners. Nothing for continuous use, I guess.

Next steps:
Get a 4mm, A3, white craft foam
Find a filler - HELP! Can you name one, available in German-speaking countries? Or how this thing is even called in Europe?
Consider more suitable (more elastic) paint
Start over.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: